Professional Web Applications Themes

Lengthy recordset question - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Dwayne: Be aware that my opinions may well be addlepated, as they usually are. At any rate, you're welcome! -- Murray --- ICQ 71997575 Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!) ================== [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS ================== [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage! [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes ================== "Dwayne Epps" <dwayneeppscenturytel.net> wrote in message news:behaic$mva$1forums.macromedia.com... > Thanks Murray. I appreciate the input! I haven't been working with > databases and ASP pages for ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Lengthy recordset question

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

> [...]
    > for the help and suggestion!:)
    > -D-
    >

    > "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > > Dwayne:
    > >
    > > > whether having a recordset that is 16 columns is too lengthy
    > >
    > > I guess it totally depends on the kind of data, and how you want to use
    > it.
    > > But in a non-relational sense, 16 columns is not too many (in my
    opinion).

    > > > Is there a way to get the database to
    > > > set back to 1 when the RS's have been deleted out?
    > >
    > > Why even worry about this? It really makes no difference. Only the
    > > database and the calling page will ever see that data anyhow.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > > ==================
    > > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO
    GET
    > > ANSWERS
    > > ==================
    > > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > > ==================
    > >
    > > "Dwayne Epps" <dwayneeppscenturytel.net> wrote in message
    > > > I've built a simple ASP application that writes information submitted
    > > > through a HTML form to an Access database. Each recordset consists of
    > 16
    > > > fields. It all works fine, but I was interested in getting opinions
    on
    > > > whether having a recordset that is 16 columns is too lengthy, and if
    so,
    > > > what is the downside? I know that there are benefits to using
    multiple
    > > > tables in a database, but wasn't sure if in this type of situation, it
    > > would
    > > > really matter? My next step is to create a page that will retrieve
    the
    > > > information from the database, display it on a page and enable the
    > > > administrator to print out the records and or delete them.
    > > > Also, I noticed when I was testing the app that the primary key (set
    > > auto
    > > > increment) will still increment to the next numerical value even when
    > > > delete the RS. So, for example I submit information and the database
    > sets
    > > > to 1 (primary key) for the first recordset. I'll delete the recordset
    > in
    > > > the database and then test again and the primary key is set to 2 even
    > > though
    > > > there is only one RS in the table. Is there a way to get the database
    > > > set back to 1 when the RS's have been deleted out?

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  2. #2

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:14:28 -0500, "Dwayne Epps"
    <dwayneeppscenturytel.net> wrote:
    >I've built a simple ASP application that writes information submitted
    >through a HTML form to an Access database. Each recordset consists of 16
    >fields. It all works fine, but I was interested in getting opinions on
    >whether having a recordset that is 16 columns is too lengthy, and if so,
    >what is the downside? I know that there are benefits to using multiple
    >tables in a database, but wasn't sure if in this type of situation, it would
    >really matter? My next step is to create a page that will retrieve the
    >information from the database, display it on a page and enable the
    >administrator to print out the records and or delete them.
    What you're talking about is what database geeks (no offense to
    anyone) like to call "database normalization." A Google search on the
    phrase "database normalization tutorial," it should turn up hundreds,
    if not thousands, of pages where you can learn a bit more about it.
    The short answer is that, whether or not it's too many, depends
    entirely on the data.

    The implications of a non-normalized data structure are that
    duplicated data bloats the size of your database, data retrieval is
    more complex and inefficient and that errors in the data are more
    likely because of user error.

    >Also, I noticed when I was testing the app that the primary key (set to auto
    >increment) will still increment to the next numerical value even when I
    >delete the RS. So, for example I submit information and the database sets
    >to 1 (primary key) for the first recordset. I'll delete the recordset in
    >the database and then test again and the primary key is set to 2 even though
    >there is only one RS in the table. Is there a way to get the database to
    >set back to 1 when the RS's have been deleted out?
    >Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
    You may be misunderstanding the purpose of a primary key. The primary
    key's sole purpose is to positively identify a given record,
    regardless of any data contained in that record. The actual value of
    the primary key should be completely meaningless to the data. There
    should be no reason to need to reset it and you should never display
    it to the user. If users can see it, they'll find a reason to want to
    modify it. Primary keys can be used to link related records. Imagine
    what happens when you change one. ;-)

    Gary
    Gary White Guest