Professional Web Applications Themes

lens cleaning - Photography

I made a newbie mistake and stored my Canon EF-S 18-55mm kit lens without the cap on it. Now, when I mount it on my camera, the viewfinder has a look to it that I can only describe as grainy. Is there anything I can do about this myself? Should I take the lens to a camera store, or a specialized repair shop? (I have easy access to Adorama.) If I have to have it cleaned professionally, what is it likely to cost me? It is not an expensive lens, and I wonder if a professional cleaning will even be ...

  1. #1

    Default lens cleaning

    I made a newbie mistake and stored my Canon EF-S 18-55mm kit lens
    without the cap on it. Now, when I mount it on my camera, the
    viewfinder has a look to it that I can only describe as grainy.

    Is there anything I can do about this myself? Should I take the
    lens to a camera store, or a specialized repair shop? (I have easy
    access to Adorama.) If I have to have it cleaned professionally,
    what is it likely to cost me? It is not an expensive lens, and I
    wonder if a professional cleaning will even be cost-effective.

    Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. If you prefer to
    respond by email, please feel free.

    --
    Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
    --Josh Micah Marshall

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: lens cleaning

    Removed by Administrator
    Sheldon Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:02:10 -0700, Sheldon <net> wrote:

    > 1. Is the dust on the lens or did it get into the camera?[/ref]

    The body is fine. I only mention the camera body because so far,
    looking through the viewfinder has been the only way I've been able
    to see the problem. If I just look at the lens, it looks fine.
    But I'm quite sure the problem is with the lens because other lenses
    do not exhibit the problem.

    Including the insides?

  4. #4

    No, don't attempt to clean the inside of the lens glass. That needs to
    be done by a technican. . If the glass looks clean and clear when you
    hold the lens up to the light then it's something else that's wrong. I
    don't own this lens but it could be something set wrong on the lens or
    camera body? Take a picture with it and see how it turns out.

    Art

    Fyimo Guest

  5. #5

    You say you "stored" the lens without the cap on it. Where was it stored,
    and for how long? Might give us a clue as to what the problem is, assuming
    the rear and front elements are clean. I assume if you put a different lens
    on the camera you don't have this problem, based on your last answer.

    Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:25:26 -0700, Sheldon <net> wrote:

    In a plastic shopping bag on my desk, for maybe a month, month and a half.

    That's right.

    I took the lens to Adorama today. The guy there didn't see the
    problem -- I don't think he was trying very hard -- but he was
    plenty willing to sell me a $16 lens cleaning kit.

    I haven't yet tried to spot the problem in an image. Maybe it won't
    show up. If that's the case, then I'll probably just live with it.
    Otherwise, I'll give this cleaning kit a shot.

  7. #7

    "Ben Rosengart" <br+com> wrote in message

    > In a plastic shopping bag on my desk, for maybe a month, month and a half.[/ref]

    I assume you don't work at a saw mill. :-)

    > That's right.
    >
    > I took the lens to Adorama today. The guy there didn't see the
    > problem -- I don't think he was trying very hard -- but he was
    > plenty willing to sell me a $16 lens cleaning kit.[/ref]

    Couldn't you point it out to him?

    I would definitely clean the lens, just the parts you can easily see and
    clean. See if that helps. I also doubt you'll see the problem in a photo.
    With digital, and film, you probably won't see a spot of dust unless it's
    very close to the film or right on the image sensor. I took a whole role of
    film once with a hair hanging down in front of the film plane.

    Also, I don't know about today's new lenses, but we used to see bubbles in
    high quality lens glass and it never made any difference in the image
    quality.

    Keep us posted.

    Sheldon Guest

  8. #8

    Ben Rosengart wrote:
    741-4400 x215

    Ben,
    Actually a plastic bag is not a bad place for the lens to be, generally
    clean, and plastic generally has an electronic charge that catches
    dust. Anyway, graininess when you look through the view finder comes
    from a lack of light at the ground glass, the lens would have to be
    filthy to cause this. Did your camera get set to stop down the lens,
    this would cause this or have you been using a large aperture lens on
    the camera and then switch to the slow kit lens? Again it would really
    be a discusting film on the lens to cause the syptoms you describe.
    Clean the lens with a er or use isopropyl alcohol on a cotton ball,
    make certain it is cotton, an gently wipe off with a dry cotton ball.

    good luck
    Tom

    tomm101 Guest

  9. #9

    On 27 Feb 2005 18:28:59 -0800, tomm101 <net> wrote:

    DING!

    I've been running around with a couple of different 1.8 fixed lenses.

    Thanks.

  10. #10

    "tomm101" <net> wrote:

    > 741-4400 x215
    >
    > Ben,
    > Actually a plastic bag is not a bad place for the lens to be, generally
    > clean, and plastic generally has an electronic charge that catches
    > dust. Anyway, graininess when you look through the view finder comes
    > from a lack of light at the ground glass, the lens would have to be
    > filthy to cause this. Did your camera get set to stop down the lens,
    > this would cause this or have you been using a large aperture lens on
    > the camera and then switch to the slow kit lens? Again it would really
    > be a discusting film on the lens to cause the syptoms you describe.
    > Clean the lens with a er or use isopropyl alcohol on a cotton ball,
    > make certain it is cotton, an gently wipe off with a dry cotton ball.
    >
    > good luck
    > Tom
    >
    >[/ref]

    Plastic bags (some of them) outgas plasticizers. It sounds like that's
    what happened to yours. I find ROR lens cleaner works better than
    isopropyl for removing this sort of thing. Many camera stores stock it.
    Bubbabob Guest