Professional Web Applications Themes

Lens shopping - what fit's a Nikon F3 manual focus? - Photography

I'm starting to shop for a new lens, but most lenses are now AF plus Nikon lenses cost a fortune. Does anyone know which AF lenses will fit a Nikon F3 and what other brands can be used on a Nikon? I know about Tamron, Sigma, and Vivitar but the quality is sometimes questionable. How about Minolta or Canon, etc.? Thanks. Andy...

  1. #1

    Default Lens shopping - what fit's a Nikon F3 manual focus?

    I'm starting to shop for a new lens, but most lenses are now AF plus
    Nikon lenses cost a fortune. Does anyone know which AF lenses will
    fit a Nikon F3 and what other brands can be used on a Nikon? I know
    about Tamron, Sigma, and Vivitar but the quality is sometimes
    questionable. How about Minolta or Canon, etc.?

    Thanks.
    Andy
    I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lens shopping - what fit's a Nikon F3 manual focus?

    Any Nikon AF lens will fit on your F3, but the ones with a "G" designation
    will not allow you to shoot in aperture priority or manual because there is
    no way to set the aperture.

    There are a few good lenses from third party manufacturers, but it would
    take some research to find out if any given one has a good reputation. If
    you ask about a specific lens, I'm sure someone here will be able to give a
    first hand account.

    Canon or Minolta lenses would not fit on a Nikon without some surgery,
    making it very impractical. John Shaw (well-known nature photog) has a Canon
    tilt-shift lens that has been converted to Nikon. I think it would be
    cheaper to pick up a used Rebel body for a specific lens if Canon was the
    only manufacturer and you didn't want to switch systems.

    --
    "I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater" <agpmailnospam> wrote in message
    news:bb1b3a5e.0307161209.6c51c554posting.google.c om...
    > I'm starting to shop for a new lens, but most lenses are now AF plus
    > Nikon lenses cost a fortune. Does anyone know which AF lenses will
    > fit a Nikon F3 and what other brands can be used on a Nikon? I know
    > about Tamron, Sigma, and Vivitar but the quality is sometimes
    > questionable. How about Minolta or Canon, etc.?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Andy

    StillMan Guest

  3. #3

    "I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater" <agpmailnospam> wrote in message
    news:bb1b3a5e.0307161209.6c51c554posting.google.c om...
    > I'm starting to shop for a new lens, but most lenses are now AF plus
    > Nikon lenses cost a fortune.

    Get a Nikon Manual Focus lens!!

    I've bought a couple from keh ([url]www.keh.com[/url]) and they're beautiful! Great
    prices, and you're not paying for the AF feature that you won't use...

    Good luck!

    -Bob

    Chino Cherokee Guest

  4. #4

    << I'm starting to shop for a new lens, but most lenses are now AF plus
    Nikon lenses cost a fortune. Does anyone know which AF lenses will
    fit a Nikon F3 >><BR><BR>

    Stick with the manual focus lenses for the F3. First, they're a better lasting
    lens than any AF lens, and if you buy them used where they are plentiful,
    you'll save a fortune.

    dan
    EDGY01 Guest

  5. #5

    i thought that the G lenses will not work on any nikon camera that does not
    electronically control the diaphgram and the F3 does not have that ability.
    "StillMan" <stillmannospam.com> wrote in message
    > Any Nikon AF lens will fit on your F3, but the ones with a "G" designation
    > will not allow you to shoot in aperture priority or manual because there
    is
    > no way to set the aperture.
    >
    > There are a few good lenses from third party manufacturers, but it would
    > take some research to find out if any given one has a good reputation. If
    > you ask about a specific lens, I'm sure someone here will be able to give
    > first hand account.
    >
    > Canon or Minolta lenses would not fit on a Nikon without some surgery,
    > making it very impractical. John Shaw (well-known nature photog) has a
    Canon
    > tilt-shift lens that has been converted to Nikon. I think it would be
    > cheaper to pick up a used Rebel body for a specific lens if Canon was the
    > only manufacturer and you didn't want to switch systems.
    >

    > --
    > "I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater" <agpmailnospam> wrote in message
    > news:bb1b3a5e.0307161209.6c51c554posting.google.c om...
    > > I'm starting to shop for a new lens, but most lenses are now AF plus
    > > Nikon lenses cost a fortune. Does anyone know which AF lenses will
    > > fit a Nikon F3 and what other brands can be used on a Nikon? I know
    > > about Tamron, Sigma, and Vivitar but the quality is sometimes
    > > questionable. How about Minolta or Canon, etc.?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > Andy

    el sid Guest

  6. #6

    Chino Cherokee wrote:
    > Get a Nikon Manual Focus lens!!
    >
    > I've bought a couple from keh ([url]www.keh.com[/url]) and they're beautiful! Great
    > prices, and you're not paying for the AF feature that you won't use...
    I've never understood that comment about "not paying for the
    AF features ...". New MF lenses don't appear any cheaper
    than AF lenses. And used MF lenses don't appear any cheaper
    than *used* AF lenses. Am I missing something?

    --
    M2

    Michael Moore Guest

  7. #7

    > My understanding is that a G lens on an F3 would be the same as using a
    > regular lens with the aperture locked to the smallest setting. I may be
    > wrong, it would not be the first time.
    You are correct...The "G" Nikkors can only be used on the latest Nikon
    bodies, if you are interested in having any aperture control at all......

    William Graham Guest

  8. #8

    Chino Cherokee <tifosoOUTcomcast.net> wrote in message

    > "I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater" <agpmailnospam> wrote in message
    > news:bb1b3a5e.0307161209.6c51c554posting.google.c om...
    >
    > > I'm starting to shop for a new lens, but most lenses are now AF plus
    > > Nikon lenses cost a fortune.
    >

    > Get a Nikon Manual Focus lens!!
    >
    > I've bought a couple from keh ([url]www.keh.com[/url]) and they're beautiful! Great
    > prices, and you're not paying for the AF feature that you won't use...
    >

    > Good luck!
    >
    > -Bob
    I have an AF Nikon, but most of my glass is non-AF. You are right, the older
    non-AF Nikkors are beautiful lenses, and they can sometimes be picked up for
    very little money.....Even with an AF body, I can use them in the AF mode,
    and just substitute my left wrist for the AF motor drive.....

    William Graham Guest

  9. #9

    Hi what you will find is that,with AF lens the amount of rotation is minimal
    from close to infinity, the AF lens are more prone to focusing error when
    you want to focus quickly manually. The MF have a great build quality and
    the focusing is easier. BUT if you intend to go down the AF route then its
    work having a few AF lens in the bag With the F3 the F4.5 ish zoom lens are
    not that bright and you will have to get a better focusing screen than the
    standard K screen on the F3.

    Best value for money in my book for the F3 is
    Nikkor 55mm F3.5 micro ( about 70)
    and the
    135mm F3.5 , ( about 60)
    50mm F2.0 (about 30)
    Yes the F2.0 I have both the F1.8 and the F2.0 is a cracker every one turns
    their noses up at the 50mm F2. and can be bought for a few grains of salt.
    If your budget stretches to a
    180mm AFn ( about 220- 300)
    The AFD version is allot dearer optically identical.

    "I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater" <agpmailnospam> wrote in message
    news:bb1b3a5e.0307161209.6c51c554posting.google.c om...
    > I'm starting to shop for a new lens, but most lenses are now AF plus
    > Nikon lenses cost a fortune. Does anyone know which AF lenses will
    > fit a Nikon F3 and what other brands can be used on a Nikon? I know
    > about Tamron, Sigma, and Vivitar but the quality is sometimes
    > questionable. How about Minolta or Canon, etc.?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Andy

    Bhup Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions. I think I'll
    definitely search for a used MF lens before trying anything else.

    -Andy

  11. #11

    [email]agpmailnospam[/email] (I'llGetItRightSoonerOrLater) wrote:
    >I'm starting to shop for a new lens, but most lenses are now AF plus
    >Nikon lenses cost a fortune. Does anyone know which AF lenses will
    >fit a Nikon F3 and what other brands can be used on a Nikon? I know
    >about Tamron, Sigma, and Vivitar but the quality is sometimes
    >questionable. How about Minolta or Canon, etc.?

    Please don't insult your F3 body by using anything other than Nikon
    lenses! With a very few exceptions, Nikon manual focus lenses will
    perform better and last longer than independent brands, and will also
    hold more value when you come to sell them.

    Most AF Nikkors will fit your F3, but they tend to have loose focusing
    rings that don't work well when focusing manually. Avoid all AF
    Nikkors with the G mount (successor to the F mount) as they have no
    aperture ring so cannot be used on your F3 other than at full
    aperture.

    Nikon manual focus lenses are solidly made with metal barrels and they
    focus beautifully.

    You can find many used Nikon manual focus lenses at very reasonable
    prices ... try KEH of Atlanta, GA:
    [url]http://www.keh.com/[/url]

    or eBay auctions:
    [url]http://www.ebay.com/[/url]

    My suggestions for some top quality Nikon fixed focal length lenses
    would include the following (choose the focal lengths you want):

    20mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor
    24mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor
    28mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor
    35mm f/2.0 AIS Nikkor
    50mm f/1.8 AIS Nikkor
    50mm f/1.4 AIS Nikkor
    55mm f/2.8 AIS Micro Nikkor (good macro lens)
    85mm f/2.0 AIS NIkkor
    85mm f/1.8 AIS NIkkor
    105mm f/2.5 AIS Nikkor (perfect for portraits)
    135mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor
    180mm f/2.8 ED AIS Nikkor
    300mm f/4.5 AIS Nikkor

    There are some good Nikon zooms too:

    35-70mm f/3.3-4.5 AIS Zoom Nikkor (very cheap, a gem! .. but beware
    imitations such as a plastic f/3.5-4.8 made by Cosina and badged Nikon
    for sale with the dreadful FM10 and FE10 cameras which are junk)
    28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AIS Zoom Nikkor
    75-150mm f/3.5 Nikon Series E (outstanding for portraits)
    70-210mm f/4 Nikon Series E

    Finally, some cheaper Nikon fixed focal length lenses:

    28mm f/2.8 Nikon Series E
    100mm f/2.8 Nikon Series E (good for portraits)

    Suggested outfits:

    3 top quality lenses 1:
    -----------------------
    28mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor
    50mm f/1.4 AIS Nikkor
    105mm f/2.5 AIS Nikkor
    (a good fourth lens would be the 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS Nikkor)

    3 top quality lenses 2:
    -----------------------
    24mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor
    35mm f/2.0 AIS Nikkor
    85mm f/1.8 AIS Nikkor
    (a good fourth lens would be the 135mm f/2.8 AIS Nikkor)

    3 cheaper lenses:
    -----------------
    28mm f/2.8 Nikon Series E
    50mm f/1.8 AIS Nikkor (avoid the Series E version)
    100mm f/2.8 Nikon Series E

    I hope these recommendations are useful. Try searching on eBay for
    "completed items" using the advanced search option and you will
    quickly get an idea of how much you will need to pay.

    These fine lenses are particularly cheap at the moment as so many
    consumers are selling their top quality manual focus 35mm gear to help
    fund the purchase of inferior digital gear and autofocus lenses.

    Finally, there are many (older) AI alternatives to the above listed
    AIS lenses which are at least as good, but may come slightly cheaper.

    There are some independent lenses that I would recommend, including
    the Tamron SP, Vivitar, Tokina and Sigma 90mm f/2.8 macro lenses (all
    discontinued except the Tamron) plus the Kiron 28mm f/2 and 105mm
    f/2.8 macro. The Tamron 17mm, 24mm and 28mm SP lenses are also good,
    but the last two are bettered by the AIS Nikkors.

    You have purchased a fine camera, one that probably took more of the
    shots that influenced the world in the last two decades of the 20th
    century than any other. Enjoy it to the full by using the lenses that
    worked best with it.

    If you need any further advice, please ask on here and I will do my
    best to help. Good luck!

    Tony

    T P Guest

  12. #12

    T P <tpnospam.com> writes:
    > 85mm f/1.8 AIS NIkkor
    you mean f/1.4, certainly.
    The manual focus 1.8/85 was never available in AI,
    let alone AI-S.

    Regards,
    Chris
    Christoph Breitkopf Guest

  13. #13

    Christoph Breitkopf <chrischr-breitkopf.de> wrote:

    >you mean f/1.4, certainly.

    Thanks for the correction. I meant to go back and
    check every lens I had listed, but then I didn't.

    ;-)

    T P Guest

  14. #14

    T P <com> writes:

    > Yes, you're wrong.
    >
    > A 'G' lens will always be set at its widest aperture on an F3 or any
    > other Nikon manual focus camera body.[/ref]

    TONY! (Sorry for shouting). You should really know better than to
    further confuse innocent people.

    A G lens _is_ set to its smallest aperture (fully stopped
    down, that is) on those bodys.

    Regards,
    Chris
    Christoph Guest

  15. #15

    Christoph Breitkopf <de> wrote:

    Don't be sorry, you did the right thing!

    Thank you!

    T Guest

  16. #16

    You and StillMan are agreeing. For some reason StillMan chose
    to phrase it that the lens won't work in aperture priority or
    manual, but since those are the only two modes the F3 has, what
    he's really saying is that it won't work in any mode.

    And others have already clarified that it sort-of WILL work,
    but only at minimum aperture, which is enough to make it pretty
    nearly useless. In any case, you have no aperture control of
    a G lens on an F3.

    --Rich

    Richard Guest

  17. #17

    I thought the F3 had shutter priority as well as M & A. You are correct that
    a lens permanently stopped to its smallest aperture would be all but totally
    useless in anything but S & P modes.

    --
    "Richard Cochran" <com> wrote in message

    StillMan Guest

  18. #18

    Ah, finally. The definitive Polson-Nikkor scale (on which our Sun is
    somewhere in the "main sequence", and budget AF lenses are Cepheid
    Variables).

    Just expand on each choice a little and you have yourself an article.

    --
    Martin
    http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty

    Martin Guest