Professional Web Applications Themes

Lenshoods and Point & Shoot Cameras - Photography

x-no-archive: yes I began playing around with my Olympus Infinity Stylus the other day, for the first time in several years, and began thinking about the fact that there appears to be no possible way to fit a lens shade to any of these point & shoot models. Once the clamshell is opened, the lens is fully exposed to sunlight and any other off-axis light out there. The lens appears to be multicoated, but that can't cure everything. Has anyone had any problems with flare on these P&S models? I realize that one gets what one pays for, and the ...

  1. #1

    Default Lenshoods and Point & Shoot Cameras

    x-no-archive: yes

    I began playing around with my Olympus Infinity Stylus the other day, for
    the first time in several years, and began thinking about the fact that
    there appears to be no possible way to fit a lens shade to any of these
    point & shoot models. Once the clamshell is opened, the lens is fully
    exposed to sunlight and any other off-axis light out there.

    The lens appears to be multicoated, but that can't cure everything. Has
    anyone had any problems with flare on these P&S models?

    I realize that one gets what one pays for, and the original Stylus was a
    bargain at about $90.00 when new. Still, I wonder if anyone has any flare
    experiences that they can share with us.

    Jeremy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lenshoods and Point & Shoot Cameras

    Good question. I have not had flare
    problems with it. I have the original Stylus.
    Nice little camera.
    ROBMURR Guest

  3. #3

    "Jeremy" <jeremyno-spam-thanks.com> wrote in message
    news:_qEPa.41962$C83.3314268newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > I began playing around with my Olympus Infinity Stylus the other day, for
    > the first time in several years, and began thinking about the fact that
    > there appears to be no possible way to fit a lens shade to any of these
    > point & shoot models. Once the clamshell is opened, the lens is fully
    > exposed to sunlight and any other off-axis light out there.
    >
    > The lens appears to be multicoated, but that can't cure everything. Has
    > anyone had any problems with flare on these P&S models?
    >
    > I realize that one gets what one pays for, and the original Stylus was a
    > bargain at about $90.00 when new. Still, I wonder if anyone has any flare
    > experiences that they can share with us.

    The Ricoh GR1 series has a nice little bayonet fit hood. The lens on these
    is well coated and not especially flarey, but it is much better with a hood.
    I've often wondered why they aren't made for more compacts.

    Peter

    Bandicoot Guest

  4. #4

    Jeremy told us, with snippage:
    >there appears to be no possible way to fit a lens shade to any of these
    >> point & shoot models.
    If you're wearing a hat, take it off and hold it above and forward or to the
    side of the camera to shade the lens. This is an old trick that works well and
    I often use a hat or a piece of paper or even just my hand to shade a lens.
    Just be careful to keep the shade out of the frame.

    R.
    Rabbitbert Guest

  5. #5

    > I've often wondered why they aren't made for more compacts.

    Because the vast majority of people who buy compact cameras or point n'
    shoots are not at all interested in photography, they are merely 'snappers'.
    They would promptly lose a lens hood the moment they first open the camera's
    packaging.

    "Bandicoot" <"insert_handle_here"techemail.com> wrote in message
    > "Jeremy" <jeremyno-spam-thanks.com> wrote in message
    > news:_qEPa.41962$C83.3314268newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
    > > x-no-archive: yes
    > >
    > > I began playing around with my Olympus Infinity Stylus the other day,
    for
    > > the first time in several years, and began thinking about the fact that
    > > there appears to be no possible way to fit a lens shade to any of these
    > > point & shoot models. Once the clamshell is opened, the lens is fully
    > > exposed to sunlight and any other off-axis light out there.
    > >
    > > The lens appears to be multicoated, but that can't cure everything. Has
    > > anyone had any problems with flare on these P&S models?
    > >
    > > I realize that one gets what one pays for, and the original Stylus was a
    > > bargain at about $90.00 when new. Still, I wonder if anyone has any
    flare
    > > experiences that they can share with us.
    > >

    > The Ricoh GR1 series has a nice little bayonet fit hood. The lens on
    these
    > is well coated and not especially flarey, but it is much better with a
    hood.
    > I've often wondered why they aren't made for more compacts.
    >

    > Peter

    Joseph Kewfi Guest