Professional Web Applications Themes

Libraries, Templates, Nested Templates, Repeat Regions, - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Hi I have eight categories to display in my site navigation. Each category has at least one (some have two) levels of subcategories. For example for one of the categories :- Health > Level One. Mens Health > Level Two cascading from this. Prostate Trouble > Level three cascading from Mens Health. I only want users to see the level ones (Health in the example above) on initial browsing of the site and then by clicking on these the associated sub-categories (of that category only) will be displayed. How can I organise my navigation using templates or libraries to allow ...

  1. #1

    Default Libraries, Templates, Nested Templates, Repeat Regions,

    Hi

    I have eight categories to display in my site navigation.
    Each category has at least one (some have two) levels of subcategories.
    For example for one of the categories :-
    Health > Level One.
    Mens Health > Level Two cascading from this.
    Prostate Trouble > Level three cascading from Mens Health.

    I only want users to see the level ones (Health in the example above) on
    initial browsing of the site and then by clicking on these the associated
    sub-categories (of that category only) will be displayed.
    How can I organise my navigation using templates or libraries to allow this?
    With only one template it's all or nothing as far as I can workout and I
    suppose what I want is the equivalent of 8 libraries (?) to correspond with my
    8 navigation headings.
    I hope this makes more sense to you Dreamweaver experts than it does to me
    reading it back :)
    Many thanks

    Andrew_G Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Libraries, Templates, Nested Templates, Repeat Regions, Help! :-(

    I hate sites like this. There's no way to get from one sublevel to another
    without going to the top level.

    I suggest you not use fly-out-type menus, but instead, have subordinate
    sectional navigation on each page within a given section. You can easily do
    this with a single template using Library items in an editable region for
    the sectional navigation, or better, using server-side includes.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "Andrew_G" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have eight categories to display in my site navigation.
    > Each category has at least one (some have two) levels of subcategories.
    > For example for one of the categories :-
    > Health > Level One.
    > Mens Health > Level Two cascading from this.
    > Prostate Trouble > Level three cascading from Mens Health.
    >
    > I only want users to see the level ones (Health in the example above) on
    > initial browsing of the site and then by clicking on these the associated
    > sub-categories (of that category only) will be displayed.
    > How can I organise my navigation using templates or libraries to allow
    > this?
    > With only one template it's all or nothing as far as I can workout and I
    > suppose what I want is the equivalent of 8 libraries (?) to correspond
    > with my
    > 8 navigation headings.
    > I hope this makes more sense to you Dreamweaver experts than it does to me
    > reading it back :)
    > Many thanks

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Libraries, Templates, Nested Templates, Repeat

    Anyone please :(
    Andrew_G Guest

  5. #5

    I already posted an answer - you can find it here:

    [url]http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=+group:macromedia.dreamwea ver[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    > Anyone please :(

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  6. #6

    Nevermind - here is is again, posted at 9AM today -

    "Murray *ACE*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    >I already posted an answer - you can find it here:
    >
    > [url]http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=+group:macromedia.dreamwea ver[/url]
    >

    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > Adobe Community Expert
    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > ==================
    > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.dwfaq.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >

    > "Andrew_G" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >> Anyone please :(

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the reply Murray but it's not a fly-out type menu and you can get
    from one sublevel to another without going to the top level :)

    Not sure the protocol of posting URLS here so to play on the safe side if you
    type information commissioner into Google and visit the top hit you will see
    the type of menu I'm after although this example is server-side (& mine can't
    be).

    Thanks

    Andrew_G Guest

  8. #8

    There's no problem with posting links here.
    > How can I organise my navigation using templates or libraries to allow
    > this?
    Build the full menu system into a set of nested unordered lists. Make each
    <ul> have a unique ID. Use CSS to set all of the subordinate uls to
    display:hidden. On each page, to display the associated subordinate list,
    add a rule to an embedded stylesheet in the head to set the style for that
    <ul> to display:block.

    Simple simon....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    > Thanks for the reply Murray but it's not a fly-out type menu and you can
    > get
    > from one sublevel to another without going to the top level :)
    >
    > Not sure the protocol of posting URLS here so to play on the safe side if
    > you
    > type information commissioner into Google and visit the top hit you will
    > see
    > the type of menu I'm after although this example is server-side (& mine
    > can't
    > be).
    >
    > Thanks

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  9. #9

    I must admit that what may seem simple to a seasoned Dreamweaver user is
    gibberish to those of us who have only coded by hand in the past - keeping
    things as simple as possible. Although I've created/used DW templates before,
    I'm not fond of using them...guess I'm just old fashioned. I can't seem to get
    used to opening a page and realizing that if I want to change a section on it
    that I have to open a template and change it there. For me, Dreamweaver serves
    as a quick way to get basic code and view resulting pages for me - it's dynamic
    features don't seem very flexible.

    Anyway, I, too, am working on a subordinate sectional navigation but the page
    is .php and the links are propogated from a MySQL database. The problem I keep
    seeing (and other's mention it on the 'Net) - DW doesn't like to do nested
    menus from a database, so I get errors all the time. I have to write my own
    php/html for the nested portion (can't generate it from DW), if I don't, or if
    I decide to change anything (like add a div tag or change it to a list from a
    table), DW shows a '/MM Repeated Region' error in design view. Sometimes this
    ends up with unspecified errors in the function of the page when tested on the
    server (the section won't even show up), but sometimes not. This only happens
    with DW generated pages....pages I've built from scratch don't seem to have
    these issues when I open them in DW.

    So - how to do the sectional navigation in DW with .php, MySQL, no libraries
    or templates.

    Thanks,

    Just an old-fashioned girl...

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    There's no problem with posting links here.
    > How can I organise my navigation using templates or libraries to allow
    > this?
    Build the full menu system into a set of nested unordered lists. Make each
    <ul> have a unique ID. Use CSS to set all of the subordinate uls to
    display:hidden. On each page, to display the associated subordinate list,
    add a rule to an embedded stylesheet in the head to set the style for that
    <ul> to display:block.

    Simple simon....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert
    ==================
    ==================

    "Andrew_G" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply Murray but it's not a fly-out type menu and you can
    > get
    > from one sublevel to another without going to the top level :)
    >
    > Not sure the protocol of posting URLS here so to play on the safe side if
    > you
    > type information commissioner into Google and visit the top hit you will
    > see
    > the type of menu I'm after although this example is server-side (& mine
    > can't
    > be).
    >
    > Thanks

    firerose Guest

  10. #10

    > DW doesn't like to do nested
    > menus from a database, so I get errors all the time.
    Sorry - I have no idea what this means, but for sure it sounds like
    something that DW would have no trouble doing.
    > DW shows a '/MM Repeated Region' error in design view
    <shrug> - without actually seeing your code, it's meaningless to speculate
    what might be happening here.
    > So - how to do the sectional navigation in DW with .php, MySQL, no
    > libraries
    > or templates.
    Includes.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "firerose" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.dwfaq.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >

    > "Andrew_G" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the reply Murray but it's not a fly-out type menu and you can
    > > get
    > > from one sublevel to another without going to the top level :)
    > >
    > > Not sure the protocol of posting URLS here so to play on the safe side
    > > if
    > > you
    > > type information commissioner into Google and visit the top hit you will
    > > see
    > > the type of menu I'm after although this example is server-side (& mine

    Murray *ACE* Guest