Professional Web Applications Themes

library item or SSI - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi all I am working on a new website and am currently in the making of the initial menu structure. This site will be quite large (by the time all is said and done, about 300 pages) and I feel i need to make the menu structure as a library item or an SSI....but don't know which. A student will eventually take over the site, so I want to make it easy to transition also. the current menu structure (completely unfinished) is at [url]http://www.barbandjulie.com/deanofstudentswebsite/index.html[/url] What are the gurus thoughts on this...library item or SSI? thanks in advance barbara...

  1. #1

    Default library item or SSI

    Hi all

    I am working on a new website and am currently in the making of the initial
    menu structure. This site will be quite large (by the time all is said and
    done, about 300 pages) and I feel i need to make the menu structure as a
    library item or an SSI....but don't know which. A student will eventually
    take over the site, so I want to make it easy to transition also.

    the current menu structure (completely unfinished) is at
    [url]http://www.barbandjulie.com/deanofstudentswebsite/index.html[/url]

    What are the gurus thoughts on this...library item or SSI?

    thanks in advance
    barbara

    AZ Web Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: library item or SSI

    AZ Web wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am working on a new website and am currently in the making of the initial
    > menu structure. This site will be quite large (by the time all is said and
    > done, about 300 pages) and I feel i need to make the menu structure as a
    > library item or an SSI....but don't know which. A student will eventually
    > take over the site, so I want to make it easy to transition also.
    >
    > the current menu structure (completely unfinished) is at
    > [url]http://www.barbandjulie.com/deanofstudentswebsite/index.html[/url]
    >
    > What are the gurus thoughts on this...library item or SSI?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > barbara

    IMHO, when you have that many pages, the chances are that new will come
    and old will go quite often: SSI.

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  3. #3

    Barbara, the main difference between the two is that with a library item,
    when you update it, DW will automatically update all 300 pages, but then you
    have to upload all 300 pages.

    With an SSI, you upload the 1 file - the include file - and all of the pages
    are instantly updated.

    SSIs are really smooth, and there's not that moment of holding your breath
    while Dreamweaver opens every one of your pages and changes the code. And
    there's not that 1/2 hour where you upload all of those files. :-)

    --
    Ptty Ayers
    [url]http://www.WebDevBiz.com[/url]

    news:BB499A29.1DC77%arizonaNOSPAMwebmicrosoftnet. com...

    P@tty *TWB* Guest

  4. #4

    Barbara,

    I agree with Patty. I have a site that has hundreds of pages and I use SSI
    for the menu.

    Each day I have to update different pages with content, then reflect that
    something has changed by changing the updated date in the menu. If this were
    a library item DW would have to upload "all" the pages in the site. As an
    SSI I just change the date in the menu, upload the one file, and that's it!

    --
    Regards,

    Kim
    "AZ Web" <arizonaNOSPAMwebmicrosoftnet.com> wrote in message
    news:BB499A29.1DC77%arizonaNOSPAMwebmicrosoftnet. com...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am working on a new website and am currently in the making of the
    initial
    > menu structure. This site will be quite large (by the time all is said and
    > done, about 300 pages) and I feel i need to make the menu structure as a
    > library item or an SSI....but don't know which. A student will eventually
    > take over the site, so I want to make it easy to transition also.
    >
    > the current menu structure (completely unfinished) is at
    > [url]http://www.barbandjulie.com/deanofstudentswebsite/index.html[/url]
    >
    > What are the gurus thoughts on this...library item or SSI?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > barbara

    KimMazz Guest