Professional Web Applications Themes

license cost - MySQL

Hi everybody. Anyone can help me understand what are MySQL license costs for commercial client application written in .NET that uses mysql as server? (so they uses mysql server and the .NET connector).. thanks andrea...

  1. #1

    Default license cost

    Hi everybody.

    Anyone can help me understand what are MySQL license costs for commercial
    client application written in .NET that uses mysql as server? (so they uses
    mysql server and the .NET connector)..

    thanks
    andrea

    andrea Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: license cost

    andrea wrote:
    the lowest price commercial product is around us $600. that gives you
    the pro version of the software (even numbered versions) and a few other
    things such as support incidents and such. you then can get fancy with
    silver, gold and platinum!

    --
    lark -- net
    To reply to me directly, delete "despam".

  3. #3

    "lark" <net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    | andrea wrote:
    | > Hi everybody.
    | >
    | > Anyone can help me understand what are MySQL license costs for
    commercial
    | > client application written in .NET that uses mysql as server? (so they
    uses
    | > mysql server and the .NET connector)..
    | >
    | > thanks
    | > andrea
    | >

    | the lowest price commercial product is around us $600. that gives you
    | the pro version of the software (even numbered versions) and a few other
    | things such as support incidents and such. you then can get fancy with
    | silver, gold and platinum!

    thank you Hamzee,
    but you intend $600/year or $600 = 1 server license? But I still need to
    understand the price of the .NET connector, right?
    Or having a commercial license you can use also client libraries boundled?

    thank you
    andrea

    andrea Guest

  4. #4

    andrea wrote:
    i think what you mean is that if the license is perpetual. the answer is
    no. it's for one year and one server. dot net connector (driver) comes
    with the product as do several other drivers. hope this helps. -lark.

  5. #5

    | i think what you mean is that if the license is perpetual. the answer is
    | no. it's for one year and one server. dot net connector (driver) comes
    | with the product as do several other drivers. hope this helps. -lark.

    Thank you very much. I don't know why you can't buy a perpetual license for
    mysql server...

    have a nice day
    andrea

    andrea Guest

  6. #6

    andrea wrote:

    It's as far as I can remember per server per year, but you can have as many
    CPUs on the server as you want.

    Compare that with Oracle, who license per CPU, a dual CPU server would require
    "two license" and the price is a lot higher too.

    As far as I understand, the drivers are free, as it seems to be allowed to
    build them into applications.

    Of course if you contact MySQL AB, they seem to provide Italian language support.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Guest

  7. #7

    "J.O. Aho" <net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    | andrea wrote:
    |
    | > but you intend $600/year or $600 = 1 server license?
    |
    | It's as far as I can remember per server per year, but you can have as
    many
    | CPUs on the server as you want.
    |
    | Compare that with Oracle, who license per CPU, a dual CPU server would
    require
    | "two license" and the price is a lot higher too.

    Are you inviting me to Oracle? :)

    | > But I still need to
    | > understand the price of the .NET connector, right?
    | > Or having a commercial license you can use also client libraries
    boundled?

    | As far as I understand, the drivers are free, as it seems to be allowed to
    | build them into applications.
    |
    | Of course if you contact MySQL AB, they seem to provide Italian language
    support.

    I read sometime ago that if you develop a not GPL compatible application (so
    Commercial or not opensource), you need to get a license for Connectors too
    :| !.

    It's really difficult to manage a per year cost beacause if you want to
    create a software product, you cannot fix a price but you have to think in
    cost per year too! :|

    thank you
    andrea

    | --
    |
    | //Aho

    andrea Guest

  8. #8

    andrea wrote:

    Decide yourself:

    Mysql Single CPU/Core Server: 495 euro/year
    Oracle Single CPU/Core Server: 4995 USD/year

    Mysql Dual CPU/Core Server: 495 euro/year
    Oracle Dual CPU/Core Server: 9990 USD/year

    :P

    I just checked the drivers page they had and got a quite different impression,
    but of course MySQL can tell if you ask, instead of us here speculating.

    Yes, it can be difficult to calculate costs, but much depends also too what
    you do with your product and where the product is run, you still can have
    cases where the end user do not pay license fee, as they buy the service from
    an external source (like web hotels). Others may be none-profit organizations
    who can use the GPL version of MySQL.

    If you sell your product, it's not really your problem the MySQL license fee,
    of course you should inform the buyer about it and if you want to get the
    customer to buy your product, then compare how much it would cost for them to
    use mssql/oracle with a rivals product, if really nasty you can assume that
    they will use a multi core/cpu server to run the sql server on, the prices for
    at least Oracle will rocket high up in the sky.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Guest

  9. #9

    andrea schrieb:

    I think if the code is never distributed (e.g. when doing in-house
    development, or when you sell services that use the software but don't
    distribute the software itself), then you don't need a commercial
    license. (E.g. you could GPL the code and never distribute it, and be
    fine within the license terms.)

    I, and I don't know the exact licensing terms, so better go and ask
    MySQL AB.

    Regards,
    Jo
    Joachim Guest

  10. #10

    "Joachim Durchholz" <org> ha scritto nel messaggio
    | andrea schrieb:
    | > I read sometime ago that if you develop a not GPL compatible application
    (so
    | > Commercial or not opensource), you need to get a license for Connectors
    too
    | > :| !.
    |
    | I think if the code is never distributed (e.g. when doing in-house
    | development, or when you sell services that use the software but don't
    | distribute the software itself), then you don't need a commercial
    | license. (E.g. you could GPL the code and never distribute it, and be
    | fine within the license terms.)

    Thanks Jo,
    unfortunately we need to distribuite the software as product :|

    have a nice day
    andrea

    andrea Guest

  11. #11

    | andrea wrote:
    | > Are you inviting me to Oracle? :)
    |
    | Decide yourself:
    |
    | Mysql Single CPU/Core Server: 495 euro/year
    | Oracle Single CPU/Core Server: 4995 USD/year
    |
    | Mysql Dual CPU/Core Server: 495 euro/year
    | Oracle Dual CPU/Core Server: 9990 USD/year
    |
    | :P

    I prefer MySQL :D.

    thanks
    Andrea