Professional Web Applications Themes

License from SCO, recieve a lawsuit! - SCO

Here's why licensing ANYTHING from SCO is a BAD IDEA: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1356635,00.asp Note the last paragraph of the second page: "However, SCO has 6,000 Unix licensees who could be using Linux in an infringement of its rights, and this is the area the company is now focusing on, he said." Got that? McBride publically stated that SCO's OWN CUSTOMERS are first on the firing line for SCO's demands for Linux licenses! So, here is some advice for consultants who might be tempted to advise clients to install an SCO system: advise your clients that they are MORE LIKELY to have SCO ...

  1. #1

    Default License from SCO, recieve a lawsuit!

    Here's why licensing ANYTHING from SCO is a BAD IDEA:

    Note the last paragraph of the second page:
    "However, SCO has 6,000 Unix licensees who could be using Linux in an
    infringement of its rights, and this is the area the company is now
    focusing on, he said."

    Got that? McBride publically stated that SCO's OWN CUSTOMERS are first
    on the firing line for SCO's demands for Linux licenses!

    So, here is some advice for consultants who might be tempted to advise
    clients to install an SCO system: advise your clients that they are MORE
    LIKELY to have SCO asking them to pay for "Linux licenses"!

    So, what's the lowest risk path: avoid SCO if possible!

    Joe Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: License from SCO, recieve a lawsuit!

    Joe Dunning <invalid> wrote:

    I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but the only time
    I ever saw a Caldera Linux system was when I put one up here to
    review it.

    Or are you implying that because someone has OSR5 they'll be contacted
    to see if they have RedHat etc. in house? I think the quote above is
    referring to people licensing for their own products, not OSR5
    owners etc. Trust me, there are a LOT more than 6,000 SCO OSR5
    systems out there.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 10:58:16 +0000 (UTC),
    com <com> wrote:

    I merely quoted the article. I don't know what might be in Darl's mind.

    I doubt there are 6000 SVR4 source code licenses, but I really don't
    know. If he is not talking about SVR4 source code, then what else?

    But what about the libraries? If I recall correctly, when this mess
    began, there was talk aobut SCO's libraries being used improperly on
    Linux machines (so that SCO applications would run on Linux).

    This seemed to be one area where SCO had a legitimate beef -- but
    perhaps in the past had made a strategic decision to not follow up on it
    because the net result would be to accelerate porting of SCO-only
    applications to other platforms.

    Joe Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, Oct 19, 2003, Joe Dunning wrote: [/ref]

    We installed many Caldera Linux systems at customer sites between 1997 and
    the end of 2002. I think it would be very interesting to see SCO (nee
    Caldera) suing for using the distribution they sold.

    >I doubt there are 6000 SVR4 source code licenses, but I really don't
    >know. If he is not talking about SVR4 source code, then what else?
    >
    >But what about the libraries? If I recall correctly, when this mess
    >began, there was talk aobut SCO's libraries being used improperly on
    >Linux machines (so that SCO applications would run on Linux).[/ref]

    What if the user has paid for the SCO system, still has the licenses, but
    chooses to run the program on a Linux box instead of the SCO system?

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``It's not what you pay a man but what he costs you that counts.''
    Will Rogers
    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    Joe Dunning <invalid> wrote:

    Probably true - I think it's usually a safe bet that altruism in corporate
    politics isn't a likely explanation for any action.

    I suspect that they will come to rue the day they decided otherwise
    in the IBM matter.

    But Jeff L. summed up very nicely what I had alluded to earlier:
    IBM will turn on Linux like a wild dog protecting her pups
    the moment its usefulness in fighting Microsoft is gone. Jeff
    suggests that they may already be doing so, behind the scenes.
    I doubt that is true yet (only because they still need it
    "open") but if the tide was plainly turning in the direction
    of the GPL being endangered, I think you'd see IBM make a quick
    choice to join the rest of the capitalists pounding the stake
    into Linux's heart.

    What may prevent that is government's own interest in open source
    software - not out of philosophical consideration, but because
    of being strapped for cash. No doubt Microsoft will be offering
    even stronger sweetheart deals to counter that.

    But to be blind to the machinations of power, and to naively
    think that there are white hats and black hats, is to ignore
    reality. What is apparent in all politics is seldom reality,
    and vice versa. There are always deals within deals, secret
    alliances, and incessant jockeying. Engineer types almost
    always underestimate the extent of that, because their nature
    is to be open and honest. That's one thing that worries me:
    the Linux crowd seems blissfully unaware of the danger they
    are facing. They are venting anger at SCO, muttering
    about Microsoft conspiracies, but seem to be missing the
    big picture: Linux/Open Source is a threat to capitalism.

    I've said before that were this the fifties, some well known
    names would probably have been talking to the HUA. Some
    probably think that's hyperbole, but I don't think so.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Bill Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:07:20 GMT, Bill Campbell <com> wrote:

    >What if the user has paid for the SCO system, still has the licenses, but
    >chooses to run the program on a Linux box instead of the SCO system?[/ref]

    That would rather depend on the license the user agreed to. Personally,
    I have never seen an SCO license, but it is an interesting question.

    So, here is a possible scenario:
    User make "backup" copy of libraries on Linux machine. User deletes
    installation of SCO system, so now only has one copy of libraries
    installed. Is this in accordance with the license?

    Joe Guest

  8. #8

    com wrote in message news:<bmup1n$ih9$std.com>...

    I've heard arguments that open source is a threat to the software
    industry, because the end of for-profit software means that
    all software development will have to be subsidized, whether by
    monopoly, or by hardware sales, or by the gift culture of geekdom,
    or by low wages in poorer countries, and over time some or all of
    these subsidies may disappear.

    But even if, say, the U.S. software industry collapses, how is
    that a threat to capitalism? National industries collapse all
    the time in capitalism, and it's generally considered a good thing
    in the long run (more efficient allocation of resources) even if
    painful in the short run (bankruptcy, unemployment, disruption).

    Jonathan Schilling
    J. Guest

  9. #9

    J. L. Schilling <com> wrote:

    A threat to the capitalism of software companies, then.

    There have been things here and there about Open Source
    spreading to other things :-)

  10. #10

    com (J. L. Schilling) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    > I've heard arguments that open source is a threat to the software
    > industry, because the end of for-profit software means that
    > all software development will have to be subsidized, whether by
    > monopoly, or by hardware sales, or by the gift culture of geekdom,
    > or by low wages in poorer countries, and over time some or all of
    > these subsidies may disappear.
    >
    > But even if, say, the U.S. software industry collapses, how is
    > that a threat to capitalism? National industries collapse all
    > the time in capitalism, and it's generally considered a good thing
    > in the long run (more efficient allocation of resources) even if
    > painful in the short run (bankruptcy, unemployment, disruption).
    >
    > Jonathan Schilling[/ref]

    Dear Jonathan,

    I think it was economist Joseph Schumpeter that referred to this
    as "creative destruction." If creative destruction isn't going on,
    you don't have capitalism.

    Maybe it was Frederic Bastiat. (I'll bet Bill Campbell knows!)
    Regards,
    Dan
    Dan Guest

  11. #11

    On Tue, Oct 21, 2003, Dan Martin wrote:

    >Dear Jonathan,
    >
    >I think it was economist Joseph Schumpeter that referred to this
    >as "creative destruction." If creative destruction isn't going on,
    >you don't have capitalism.
    >
    >Maybe it was Frederic Bastiat. (I'll bet Bill Campbell knows!)[/ref]

    Am I getting a reputation? And yes, Bastiat's essay ``The Law'' is one of
    my favorites :-).

    I can't say as I remember the term ``creative destruction'', but Murray N.
    Rothbard makes the point that bad investments must be allowed to liquidate
    in his books ``America's Great Depression'', ``Panic of 1819'', and
    ``History of Money and Banking in the United States''. A more recent book
    that's applicable is Clayton M. Christensen's ``The Innovator's Dilemma''
    which introduced the term ``Disruptive Technologies''.

    Open source certainly doesn't destroy innovation. On the contrary, it
    speeds it because there's a much larger pool of talent looking at any given
    problem. Individual contributions are generally made to solve a local
    problem, and the results shared. Most of my personal contributions have
    been bug fixes, and portability patches.

    Most of the people on this list who make their money in the IT industry,
    probably are concerned with solving their customer's problems, not in
    finding the ``killer application'' which will make them rich selling
    millions of copies. Software sales, particularly Operating Systems, is a
    tiny part of the revenue stream.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.''
    Will Rogers
    Bill Guest

  12. #12

    com wrote:

    > A threat to the capitalism of software companies, then.
    >
    > There have been things here and there about Open Source
    > spreading to other things :-)
    >[/ref]

    Not exactly what you meant I think but: http://www.opencores.org/

    In a nutshell, open semiconductor cores.

    /dev/null Guest