Professional Web Applications Themes

Light Meter - Photography

About a month ago I purchased a Sekonic L-508 light meter for use with my 35mm camera. But since then I have purchased a Minolta 7D digital slr....I wondering if there is any need to keep this meter or sell it since I have the dslr now. Joe...

  1. #1

    Default Light Meter

    About a month ago I purchased a Sekonic L-508 light meter for use with
    my 35mm camera.
    But since then I have purchased a Minolta 7D digital slr....I
    wondering if there is any need to keep this meter or sell it since I
    have the dslr now.

    Joe
    stator Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Light Meter

    I would always have at least one decent light meter on hand. You never know
    when you might need it for a lot of reasons. Just one example is that older
    lenses will not work with the built-in meter on my Nikon D70, but the lenses
    fit, are perfectly fine, and very sharp -- just no way to meter in the
    camera.

    --

    Sheldon
    net

    "stator" <com> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    stator <com> wrote:

    Thats a flash meter also right?

    Do you want to do portraiture with flash or any other flash
    photography, if so the answer is keep it. If not sell it to me
    dirt cheap :-)

    --
    LF Website http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    Gregory Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:12:41 -0500, stator <com>
    wrote:

    Giving you the benefeit of the doubt you may not be a troll. What
    exactly changed between cameras where you cannot think of a use for
    the meter now that the images are recorded digitally rather than on
    film?
    ZONED! Guest

  5. #5

    >Giving you the benefeit of the doubt you may not be a troll. What

    Well, given that I can bracket to my hearts content with the dslr and
    get the results immediately...
    With the 35mm that method just wasn't cost effective....hence the
    purchase of the meter.

    Gregory made a good point about keeping it for use as a flash meter.
    If I'm doing a portrait, the last thing a subject would want is to sit
    there frozen while I snap off 20 pics to insure at least one is
    usable.

    By the way, what exactly about my question would make you suspect I
    was trolling?

    Joe

    stator Guest

  6. #6

    stator wrote:

    The 508 (I regret selling mine) is a very good meter. Great spot meter that can
    be also used for setting flashes (rare use), retractable dome for ratio, auto
    flash metering, etc. If you will ever be using studio strobes that is a great
    meter to work with.

    The 7D has a spot meter, so that really reduces the need for the 508's spot
    meter. For scene metering, the large display and histograms do the rest.

    Don't rush to sell it unless you're a "never back to film" type.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  7. #7

    ZONED! wrote:

    One advantage of digital is you can use it as the lightmeter. Shoot. Examine,
    adjust, delete the test file and move on. The only area where it would be
    needed is to set stuido strobes.

    Alan Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:12:41 -0500, stator <com>
    wrote:

    If you found it useful for your film SLR it will be just as useful
    with a digital SLR. An good incident meter is always handy to have
    available, I'd keep it if I were you..

    Ron

    com
    http://borealphotography.com
    Ron Guest

  9. #9

    >If you found it useful for your film SLR it will be just as useful

    Thanks for the opinions guys...I think I will keep the meter. It does
    work fantastic and seeing it used by professionals inspires me to use
    it more.

    Joe
    stator Guest

  10. #10

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message

    > One advantage of digital is you can use it as the lightmeter. Shoot.[/ref]
    Examine,

    Or, if there were a need to work more quickly than a bunch of test
    shots...or, if you
    wanted to see what "zone" range was in your composition. <I feel so dated!>
    But, I
    use my meters quite a bit...actually more than I did with film because I
    find I am shooting
    more often.

    George

    George Guest

  11. #11

    George wrote:

    For zones, one can use the histogram quite handilly in an ogous fashion. I
    wish the histogram was in fact setup as AA Zones, but the scales used apparently
    are not.

    An incident meter is dandy. A spot meter is candy... but that's built into both
    my film camera and my eventual 7D in any case.

    The 7D (and probably others) have a mode to show where the highs are over the
    top and where the lows aren't even turned on. This is surely better than
    spotmetering the scene element by element.... like having 6 million spot meters,
    really, and the camera does the mapping.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Guest

  12. #12

    "stator" <com> wrote in message

    Keep it Joe. What happens if you ever use studio lamps???? The cameras meter
    is no good to meter 1/125 sec exposure with lamps.

    Regards
    Mac

    Mac Guest

  13. #13

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message
    news:cuglq1$hko$gazeta.pl... [/ref]
    dated!>

    > For zones, one can use the histogram quite handilly in an ogous[/ref]
    fashion. I
    apparently

    How so? That is, how many steps translate to a "zone"? Does one horizontal
    value equate
    to a zone, or 1/2 zone or 1/3 zone or ??? I realize that is it displaying
    similar info, but am too
    new to (useful) digital cameras to think in terms of what appears to be
    non-standardized
    brightness steps (i.e., does 1 Nikon horizontal histogram step equal 1 Canon
    horizontal
    histogram step).

    George

    into both
    the
    meters,

    George Guest

  14. #14

    George wrote:

    That's the point. The histograms are divided horizontally in some arbitrary
    fashion (AFAICT). If they marked some point on the histogram where the camera
    believes zone V is, and then other zones realtive to this, then we'd have
    something. But they don't. OTOH, placing highlights up close to the right edge
    assures a good latitude coverage.

    There is probably some glaringly simple reason why they don't do this, but I
    don't know what it is.

    Not AFAIK.

    Cheers,
    Alan
    Alan Guest

  15. #15

    Mac Tabak wrote:

    > Keep it Joe. What happens if you ever use studio lamps????
    > The cameras meter
    > is no good to meter 1/125 sec exposure with lamps.[/ref]

    with lamps, at 1/125, it works perfectly, but you get hot.
    with strobes, the 508 works well, and the camera does not.

    Crownfield Guest

  16. #16

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:24:40 -0500, stator <com>
    wrote:

    >Well, given that I can bracket to my hearts content with the dslr and
    >get the results immediately...
    >With the 35mm that method just wasn't cost effective....hence the
    >purchase of the meter.
    >
    >Gregory made a good point about keeping it for use as a flash meter.
    >If I'm doing a portrait, the last thing a subject would want is to sit
    >there frozen while I snap off 20 pics to insure at least one is
    >usable.
    >
    >By the way, what exactly about my question would make you suspect I
    >was trolling?
    >
    >Joe
    >
    >[/ref]
    Sorry, been busy. It seems as most of my reply is duplicative...
    One can only succesfully bracket when the scene is fairly static and
    does not need external flash (studio). I guess it depends on one's
    level of photography. The troll reference was a knee reaction to
    a question that struck me as obvious when it is not that way to all.
    As a professional who has used digital on and off for over 8 years, I
    have purchased and frequently used 2 meters AFTER digital. I cannot
    rely on a postage stamp sized LCD readout to insure proper exposure of
    smaller areas and a laptop is often a bit bersome when added to all
    the gear that I may bring to a shoot...
    ZONED! Guest