Professional Web Applications Themes

Light Meter for Digital Photography - Photography

Are some light meters better for digital than others? Or, will a good light meter work as well with digital as it will with film? I'm looking at a Sekonic 358 and want to be sure I'm buying something that will meet my digital needs. Don't shoot film anymore. Thanks. sjh...

  1. #1

    Default Light Meter for Digital Photography

    Are some light meters better for digital than others? Or, will a good light
    meter work as well with digital as it will with film?

    I'm looking at a Sekonic 358 and want to be sure I'm buying something that
    will meet my digital needs. Don't shoot film anymore.

    Thanks.

    sjh

    sjh Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Light Meter for Digital Photography

    sjh <prairiefireearthlink.net> wrote in news:BB3458AF.1EBC6%
    [email]prairiefireearthlink.net[/email]:
    > Are some light meters better for digital than others? Or, will a good light
    > meter work as well with digital as it will with film?
    >
    > I'm looking at a Sekonic 358 and want to be sure I'm buying something that
    > will meet my digital needs. Don't shoot film anymore.
    Yes - it would I assume.

    The only reason why not to buy any flash/light meter at all would be that
    a digital camera is its own polaroid preview tool. But, I do not
    know enough about professional flash photography. But, if you don't
    use it for flash photography - I cannot see why you need any meter
    at all. Except maybe a color meter.

    Roland
    Roland Karlsson Guest

  3. #3

    sjh <prairiefireearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Are some light meters better for digital than others? Or, will a good
    light
    > meter work as well with digital as it will with film?

    Digital or film, it is no difference, really. Cameras of either type might
    agree with the light meter, or they might be off a third of a stop, you
    just make adjustments for the camera, and for film, both your camera and
    your lab.

    > I'm looking at a Sekonic 358 and want to be sure I'm buying something that
    > will meet my digital needs. Don't shoot film anymore.

    That's too bad. Personally, I love film, and will never throw my film
    cameras away.

    Before you plop down $300 or so for a meter, what kind of shooting do you
    do?

    For the snapshot shooter, I just don't see the point, spend the money on a
    better lens, etc., but if you are a pro are a serious amateur or student,
    then its usefulness is more apparent. If all you are concerned about is an
    incident reading, you can do quite well by metering off a gray card.

    Patrick

    Patrick L. Guest

  4. #4

    I've put my ancient Luna Pro against the one in the 10D and they always
    read the same.
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  5. #5

    > On 7/11/03 1:33 PM, in article
    > NpDPa.41908$C83.3308174newsread1.prod.itd.earthli nk.net, "Patrick L."
    > <niceworkifyoucangetit.com> wrote:
    >

    > > sjh <prairiefireearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >> Are some light meters better for digital than others? Or, will a good
    > > light
    > >> meter work as well with digital as it will with film?
    > >

    > > Digital or film, it is no difference, really. Cameras of either type
    might
    > > agree with the light meter, or they might be off a third of a stop, you
    > > just make adjustments for the camera, and for film, both your camera and
    > > your lab.
    > >

    > >> I'm looking at a Sekonic 358 and want to be sure I'm buying something
    that
    > >> will meet my digital needs. Don't shoot film anymore.
    > >

    > > That's too bad. Personally, I love film, and will never throw my film
    > > cameras away.
    > >
    > > Before you plop down $300 or so for a meter, what kind of shooting do
    you
    > > do?
    > >
    > > For the snapshot shooter, I just don't see the point, spend the money on
    > > better lens, etc., but if you are a pro are a serious amateur or
    student,
    > > then its usefulness is more apparent. If all you are concerned about is
    an
    > > incident reading, you can do quite well by metering off a gray card.
    > >

    > > Patrick
    > >

    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > I'm a serious amateur using a Fuji S1.
    >
    > I'm learning studio lighting. Want to use the external meter to measure
    and
    > set strobes.
    >
    > sjh

    I use the Sekonic Flashmate, L-308B, it will do the basics, has a digital
    readout, and is much cheaper.

    Patrick

    Patrick L. Guest

  6. #6

    On 12-Jul-2003, "Gary Eickmeier" <geickmeitampabay.rr.com> wrote:
    > Maybe I need to re-state what I said. The calibration of light meters
    > varies. This means you can get different readings from different meters. I
    > have done some brief experiments comparing my hand-held meter to my
    > camera's
    > meter, and my camera was more correct every time. This may be because the
    > camera's meter reads TTL and has been carefully calibrated to this camera.
    > It may also be that my hand-held meter is from the film era, and may not
    > be
    > as accurate. This variability of meters was less important in film,
    > because
    > of the great latitude of film, compared to digital.
    It is true that one advantage of a TTL meter is that any lens error or other
    lens related exposure factors will be automatically included in the exposure
    measurement.

    I don't know how you compare two meters and determine that one is more
    "correct" than another without some calibrated standard. I have 2 handheld
    meters (one new and one 22 years old) and 5 SLR bodies (one digital, one MF,
    and three 35mm) with TTL meters, comparing them by shooting an artificially
    lit gray card they all read within 1/2 stop.

    I disagree with your assertion that digital metering is more demanding than
    film. Slide film and digital are pretty close in latitude, but digital has
    the advantage of post-production where many exposure problems can be fixed.

    > Also note that with film photography, we used to be able to take an
    > incident
    > reading at the subject and pretty much rely on that. But that won't fly
    > with
    > digital.
    I disagree. The same situations that made incident readings work for film
    still exist for digital. Virtually all studio flash photography is measured
    with incident meters. I photograph a lot of flat art, the in camera meter is
    always wrong. A gray card or incident reading is the only accurate
    measurement. (I usually photograph the gray card, it makes digital white
    balance or film color correction easy.)

    As someone else said in this thread, if in-camera metering works for you
    great. For some of us, its limitations prompt the use of hand held meters in
    some situations.

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    [url]www.creative-light.com[/url]