Professional Web Applications Themes

light meter question (still about the Olympus C-2100uz) - Photography

Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me breathless .... thanks....

  1. #1

    Default light meter question (still about the Olympus C-2100uz)

    Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
    Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light
    meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me breathless
    .... thanks.

    Puzzled Guest

  2. #2

    "Puzzled" <NotAt> writes:
    > Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
    > Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light
    > meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me breathless
    > ... thanks.
    As noted, this probably should go on rec.photo.digital.zlr.

    For most users, generally not (after all the camera has a reflective light
    meter already). If you were getting into studio lighting then a flash meter is
    definately recomended, and there are perhaps times when an incident meter is
    called for.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: [email]mrmnewsthe-meissners.org[/email]

  3. #3

    Puzzled wrote:
    > Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
    > Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light
    > meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me
    > breathless ... thanks.
    Why would you want to do that if you can reply the image and check the
    exposure by the histogram?

    David

    David J Taylor Guest

  4. #4

    "David J Taylor" <david-taylorinvalid.com> writes:
    > Puzzled wrote:
    > > Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
    > > Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light
    > > meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me
    > > breathless ... thanks.
    >
    > Why would you want to do that if you can reply the image and check the
    > exposure by the histogram?
    So you can get a good feel for incident light on various parts of your
    subject? So you can set up and balance flash sensibly?

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  5. #5

    Bruce Murphy wrote:
    > "David J Taylor" <david-taylorinvalid.com> writes:
    >
    >> Puzzled wrote:
    >>> Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
    >>> Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a
    >>> light meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me
    >>> breathless ... thanks.
    >>
    >> Why would you want to do that if you can reply the image and check
    >> the exposure by the histogram?
    >
    > So you can get a good feel for incident light on various parts of your
    > subject? So you can set up and balance flash sensibly?
    OK, I can see that. I would still have thought it preferable to judge by
    the effect on the final image, though.

    David

    David J Taylor Guest

  6. #6

    "David J Taylor" <david-taylorinvalid.com> writes:
    > Bruce Murphy wrote:

    > >> Why would you want to do that if you can reply the image and check
    > >> the exposure by the histogram?
    > >
    > > So you can get a good feel for incident light on various parts of your
    > > subject? So you can set up and balance flash sensibly?
    >
    > OK, I can see that. I would still have thought it preferable to judge by
    > the effect on the final image, though.
    Well, I suppose you can try and judge it from a sub-2-inch LCD which
    varies in contrast as you tilt it, but I don't like that much of a
    challenge.

    I also feel that being able to see what effect _quantified_ things
    haveon an image is far preferable to just fiddling about until it
    looks right. Particularly if you ever want to do it again.

    But I was out and about last night with a D70 and a sekonic meter, so
    it is entirely possible that I'm an a non-standard digital camera user.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  7. #7

    "David J Taylor" <david-taylorinvalid.com> writes:
    > Puzzled wrote:
    > > Ok, just on the off chance that I can be any more confused about the
    > > Olympus c-2100uz, I have one more question. Should I invest in a light
    > > meter? I have been looking at several but the cost leaves me
    > > breathless ... thanks.
    >
    > Why would you want to do that if you can reply the image and check the
    > exposure by the histogram?
    The C-2100UZ was made before it was common to display histograms in the camera,
    so you need to upload the picture to a computer to display the histogram.