Professional Web Applications Themes

lightweight distro suggestions? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I volunteer for a small charity that refurbishes older computers to donate to the disabled, homebound, disadvantaged. We are considering installing Linux in a few of these. The machines are Dell Celeron 500's, with 6.4GB HD and 64MB or RAM. I installed Mandrake 9.2 on one, but it is terribly slow, given the lack of RAM, and OpenOffice is even worse. I have loaded Fluxbox instead of KDE, which is better, but using any KDE of GNOME apps means all their libraries are loaded and I get a lot of slow disk swapping. I would like some recommendations for a ...

  1. #1

    Default lightweight distro suggestions?

    I volunteer for a small charity that refurbishes older computers to
    donate to the disabled, homebound, disadvantaged. We are considering
    installing Linux in a few of these. The machines are Dell Celeron
    500's, with 6.4GB HD and 64MB or RAM. I installed Mandrake 9.2 on one,
    but it is terribly slow, given the lack of RAM, and OpenOffice is even
    worse. I have loaded Fluxbox instead of KDE, which is better, but using
    any KDE of GNOME apps means all their libraries are loaded and I get a
    lot of slow disk swapping.

    I would like some recommendations for a faster, lighter weight distro
    than Mandrake 9.2, but which still has a reasonably easy install.

    Also some recommendations for non-KDE/GNOME office and internet
    applications would be nice (stuff like AbiWord etc, that are not
    bloated but are still windowed apps)? I think we'll go with Fluxbox as
    the window manager.

    Looking forward to your suggestions and greatly appreciated.

    Larry Gagnon
    --
    ********************************
    to send direct email remove "fake"

  2. #2

    Default Re: lightweight distro suggestions?

    Larry Gagnon wrote:
    I have a dell 166 with 64 megs ram running Lycoris and it is about the
    best of the bunch of distros I have tried. The next best was Slackware
    but only because it seems to use the ram better and is not going to swap
    as much as Mandrake or Redhat.

    Leo Guest

  3. #3

    In article <supernews.com>, Larry Gagnon wrote:

    I guess you're talking about Vector Linux. It is specifically made for
    running on older boxen, old Pentiums, 486 as well.

    Ted is a rather nice RTF editor. Or, you could look at Siag Office which
    is a nice small suite of office apps.

    --
    Juha Siltala
    http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/people/jsiltala/

  4. #4

    On Wednesday 28 January 2004 08:36, Larry Gagnon wrote:

    Take a look at xfce (www.xfce.org) for a GUI environment. Very
    lightweight. Fast. No a lot of RAM and CPU cycle wasting eye candy.
    It's also 100% compatible with all KDE/GNOME apps, if the appropriate
    libraries are installed. Works nicely with Slackware or Vector Linux.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

  5. #5

    "Larry Gagnon" <com> wrote in message

    I've used DamnSmallLinux (.org) on a lot of machines. It fits on a business
    card-type cdrom (50MB!), but has a fully working desktop with a lot of apps.
    It is quite a fast live cd (you can even run it fully from ram, although
    that would require a bit more ram than you have. But that's not the solution
    you're looking for ;-), but you can install it to HD, it requires about
    300MB (yes, really!), but I would advise at least 500mb if you want to fully
    use it and use the debian apt-get system nicely. I've tried it on a pentium
    90MHz / 92MB ram and that worked (albeit somewhat slow and quirky)
    You could also search linux.org / distrowatch for 'minimalist' distro's.

    greets,

    Olivier

    Olivier Guest