Professional Web Applications Themes

lilo.conf problem - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I copied the desktop lilo.conf to the laptop and changed the /boot on the laptop to /dev/hda6, I thought. The lilo.conf got changed but with the linux showing /dev/hda5 & old-linux as /dev/hda6; hda5 is the swap partition. This was done before compiling the kernel to ver 2.6.0 & the modutils & e2fsprogs were updated to comply with the 2.6.0. Compiled as in "make bzlilo". Using rescue system under SuSE 8.1, I was able to correct the lilo.conf BUT on bootup, I get the error that VFS cannot find/boot from hda5, of course. Running lilo, the error was that lilo ...

  1. #1

    Default lilo.conf problem

    I copied the desktop lilo.conf to the laptop and changed the /boot
    on the laptop to /dev/hda6, I thought. The lilo.conf got changed
    but with the linux showing /dev/hda5 & old-linux as /dev/hda6; hda5
    is the swap partition. This was done before compiling the kernel to
    ver 2.6.0 & the modutils & e2fsprogs were updated to comply with
    the 2.6.0. Compiled as in "make bzlilo".

    Using rescue system under SuSE 8.1, I was able to correct the lilo.conf
    BUT on bootup, I get the error that VFS cannot find/boot from hda5,
    of course. Running lilo, the error was that lilo don't understand
    device "0x0106"; what is this device?

    Google doesn't help as I don't see any similar situation.

    Last resort is to reinstall linux & update the kernel to 2.6.0 as
    well as xfree & kde, & etc; 2.6.0 works very nicely on the desktop
    & the mouse appears to be smoother & better behaved.

    pc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: lilo.conf problem

    pc user <edu> wrote:

    Yerrrrrrs. Would you mind explaining how to play cricket?

    (incomprehensible para :-( )

    Whatever one you pointed it at. Major 1, minor 6. /dev/ram6, I suppose.
    Point it at something sensible instead! Why do you choose a ramdisk?
    Are you planning on running an initrd? Why? Just keep things simple.

    Why would you need to look at google? Reading your lilo.conf is the
    indicated course!

    Last resort? You haven't *done* anything yet! How about "looking"?

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  3. #3

    On 2004-01-01, P.T. Breuer <it.uc3m.es> wrote:

    > Yerrrrrrs. Would you mind explaining how to play cricket?
    >
    > (incomprehensible para :-( )[/ref]

    Didn't like it myself but hard to explain. The idea was that I had
    copied the lilo.conf and just changed the ref to /dev/hda6 as the
    boot partition, I thought; problem is that I had a typo for the
    "linux" image so that it was /dev/hda5, which is the swap partition.
    linux wouldn't boot since it was the wrong boot partition.

    The 2nd image, "old-linux", had the correct boot partition, /dev/hda6.
    For some reason, booting "old-linux" stops at loading the net, hotplug
    and usb stuff.

    > Whatever one you pointed it at. Major 1, minor 6. /dev/ram6, I suppose.
    > Point it at something sensible instead! Why do you choose a ramdisk?
    > Are you planning on running an initrd? Why? Just keep things simple.[/ref]

    Whatever or whenever did I point it at? I have no idea nor how it got
    there. Oh, initrd is on my desktop lilo.conf; have tried deleting it
    for the laptop and no difference in booting. Aha, didn't run lilo
    when initrd was deleted; will try it. Probably will delete it from
    the desktop also. Don't know how initrd got into the lilo.conf for
    the desktop.

    > Why would you need to look at google? Reading your lilo.conf is the
    > indicated course![/ref]

    Google...because there is always someone who "answers" with the phrase
    "look in google" as if google had all the answers and regardless of
    the question; it looks to me like an auto-response by some people.

    Looking at the lilo.conf doesn't help me too much as I don't know
    the details/nuances even with info or man or docs.

    > Last resort? You haven't *done* anything yet! How about "looking"?
    >
    > Peter[/ref]

    I had done something including "looking". The original problem is that
    lilo.conf says the boot image is located on /dev/hda5, my swap partition.
    Even when changing the /dev/hda5 to /dev/hda6, the boot process still say
    that it cannot locate the boot stuff on /dev/hda5! So where did the boot
    kernel/whatever get the /dev/hda5 since it is no longer on the lilo.conf.

    However, your tip about the initrd in the lilo.conf may help if running
    lilo after deleting it and the boot process looks at /dev/hda6 for its stuff.
    I had thought that initrd was a "required" entry as it has been on every
    fresh install I've done before SuSE's change to use grub.
    pc Guest

  4. #4

    pc user <edu> wrote: [/ref]

    When explaining something, do not use the word *IT*!

    Leave spaces between ideas.

    SPACEEEEEEEEEEEE. Full stop. Whatever. Put a brake on it!

    You mean "root partition", not "boot partition"?

    ^^^ what "it"?

    SPACEEEEEEE.

    Yes, correct your problem (root=/dev/hda5 instead of root=/dev/hda6) and
    rerun lilo.

    And you do not mean "linux image", you mean "root partition".

    At least. So correct your mistake. And it's "root partition".

    ("root partition")

    Shrug. Different problem. Probably you have the wrong ethernet driver
    specified. Read your modules.conf, or /etc/modules.

    > > Whatever one you pointed it at. Major 1, minor 6. /dev/ram6, I suppose.
    > > Point it at something sensible instead! Why do you choose a ramdisk?
    > > Are you planning on running an initrd? Why? Just keep things simple.[/ref][/ref]

    You are the only one WITH an idea of what you did.

    Find out. Tell us when you do.

    Then I think you know how it got there! You seem to have more than "no
    idea".

    Why are you running an initrd?

    Tell us about it when you *have* done something, not before.

    OK. But going by your track record, I wouldn't have you touch a working
    lilo.conf.

    Then you should ask yourself who has been playing with root in your
    computer! Is your porridge OK? :-)

     [/ref]

    It is, when you have a real problem. But you don't have a real problem
    - you have a mess created by yourself. It's your invention.

    You don't need to know details or nuances - it's perfectly
    straightforward. Check that every line makes sense - there are no
    shortcuts to doing so! You go through the lines one by one.

    Then change it. And no, boot= is not the "boot image", but the location
    of the boot sector that gets written. It should be "hda", if you plan
    on writing to the MBR!

    Please be exact.

    If you mean "root=", that is the root partition, and should be
    /dev/hda6.

    You forgot to run lilo - you didn't change the boot sector. How do you
    expect the boot sector to read your lilo.conf? I'm puzzled!

    It is not a "tip".

    If you have the modules on your disk, why put them in an initrd?

    But I would leave well alone if I were you!

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  5. #5

    On 2004-01-01, P.T. Breuer <it.uc3m.es> wrote:

    You are right. Will no longer respond to your narrow-minded, arrogant,
    conceit. If you can only attack one's English, grammar or spelling and
    not the problem itself, stop; you haven't shown any expertise but just
    a pretense of some knowledge.

    I have no expertise but had hoped someone would have an idea. From your
    remarks, it looks like you don't understand anything unless painfully
    "spelled" out as to a 2 yr old child.
    pc Guest

  6. #6

    pc user <edu> writes:

    ]On 2004-01-01, P.T. Breuer <it.uc3m.es> wrote:
    ]>
    ]> But I would leave well alone if I were you!
    ]>
    ]> Peter

    ]You are right. Will no longer respond to your narrow-minded, arrogant,
    ]conceit. If you can only attack one's English, grammar or spelling and
    ]not the problem itself, stop; you haven't shown any expertise but just
    ]a pretense of some knowledge.

    ]I have no expertise but had hoped someone would have an idea. From your
    ]remarks, it looks like you don't understand anything unless painfully
    ]"spelled" out as to a 2 yr old child.
    Peter is a boor, rude, insulting. But sometimes buried with in that
    extraneous garbage, he has some real insights into the problems. Filter
    out all of the junk. Sometimes that leaves nothing, but sometimes there
    are some kernels there.
    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    Bill Unruh <physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

    I have not insulted this man, Bill. Would you mind showing me any such
    thing in the post he's gone blooie over? He's gone off the deep end on
    his own.

    Thanks. I am insulted by the "sometimes".

    You mean "nuggets", not "kernels" ... hmm, well, maybe you do mean
    "kernel":

    (kernel)
    3: the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some
    idea or experience: "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the
    nub of the story" [syn: {substance}, {core}, {center}, {essence},
    {gist}, {heart}, {inwardness}, {marrow}, {meat}, {nub}, {pith},
    {sum}, {nitty-gritty}]

    (not "heart"?) whereas:

    nugget
    n : a solid lump of a precious metal (especially gold) as found
    in the earth

    !!

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  8. #8

    A copy of "lilo.conf", and the partition configuration of the disk on the
    laptop would help.

    In LILO.CONF, the following line(s) may need to be changed:

    boot=
    root=

    You will need to update /etc/fstab on the laptop to reflect its actual
    partition configuration, also.

    --John

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:51:59 GMT, pc user <edu> wrote:

    JohnInSD Guest