Professional Web Applications Themes

Lilo Problems - Debian

I've installed a new server (woody 3.0r1 + proposed updates + security updates) on a system that is running with root on sda3. Lilo seems to be having problems as on boot it outputs and L followed by 01 01 01 and on and on. i.e. "L 01 01 01 01..." Any clues what the problem is? I'm able to get in using cd3 as a rescue disk and specifying "rescue root=/dev/sda1". The bios is configured to boot the SCSI drive first. Please CC me on any responses as I'm not subscribed to this list. ---------------- Thanks Jefferson Cowart [email]Jeffcowart.net[/email] ...

  1. #1

    Default Lilo Problems

    I've installed a new server (woody 3.0r1 + proposed updates + security
    updates) on a system that is running with root on sda3. Lilo seems to be
    having problems as on boot it outputs and L followed by 01 01 01 and on
    and on. i.e. "L 01 01 01 01..." Any clues what the problem is? I'm able
    to get in using cd3 as a rescue disk and specifying "rescue
    root=/dev/sda1". The bios is configured to boot the SCSI drive first.

    Please CC me on any responses as I'm not subscribed to this list.

    Jefferson Cowart Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lilo Problems

    Jefferson Cowart wrote:
    >I've installed a new server (woody 3.0r1 + proposed updates + security
    >updates) on a system that is running with root on sda3. Lilo seems to be
    >having problems as on boot it outputs and L followed by 01 01 01 and on
    >and on. i.e. "L 01 01 01 01..." Any clues what the problem is? I'm able
    >to get in using cd3 as a rescue disk and specifying "rescue
    >root=/dev/sda1". The bios is configured to boot the SCSI drive first.
    >
    >Please CC me on any responses as I'm not subscribed to this list.

    You might post the relevant bits of "/etc/lilo.conf". I suspect you have
    a line:

    You claim that your root is on /dev/sda3, yet your rescue works when you
    point to /dev/sda1. There's some confusion here. I suspect this
    confusion is also being "felt" by lilo.

    --
    Kent West (westkacu.edu)

    Kent West Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lilo Problems OT

    On Wed, August 06 at 2:46 AM EDT
    Paul Johnson <balooursine.ca> wrote:
    >> Please CC me on any responses as I'm not subscribed to this list.
    >
    >[url]http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/mail-responses.html[/url]
    >Either set Mail-Followup-To: yourself or don't request it.
    Paul - for future reference - what if one requests CC's because it
    sometimes takes hours (12 or more) for one to see posts on the lists due
    to listserv (or whatever handles this) being slow? I didn't see that
    one referenced in the link you posted. And I am not sure all mailers
    allow a user to*easily* set a Mail-Followup_To: header.

    Shawn Lamson
    [email]shawn.lamsonverizon.net[/email]

    Shawn Lamson Guest

  4. #4

    Sorry I mis-typed the rescue line. My root is /dev/sda3 and I type
    "rescure root=/dev/sda3". Below is my lilo.conf file with comments
    removed. In addition I've included my /etc/fstab file and the output of
    df -h to show my /boot partition is small and at the front of the drive.

    ==============
    /etc/lilo.conf
    ==============
    lba32
    boot=/dev/sda
    root=/dev/sda3
    install=/boot/boot-menu.b
    map=/boot/map
    delay=20
    vga=normal
    default=Linux
    image=/vmlinuz
    label=Linux
    read-only
    # restricted
    # alias=1
    ==============
    /etc/fstab
    ==============
    #
    <pass>
    /dev/sda3 / ext2 errors=remount-ro 0
    1
    /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0

    0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0

    0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy auto user,noauto 0

    0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0

    0
    /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults 0
    2
    /dev/hda1 /var ext2 defaults 0
    2
    ==============
    df -h
    ==============
    # df -h
    /dev/sda3 7.9G 229M 7.2G 3% /
    /dev/sda1 45M 1.1M 42M 3% /boot
    /dev/hda1 5.9G 106M 5.5G 2% /var

    ----------------
    Thanks
    Jefferson Cowart
    [email]Jeffcowart.net[/email]

    Jefferson Cowart Guest

  5. #5

    Paul Guest

  6. #6

    On Wednesday 06 August 2003 19:23, Jefferson Cowart wrote:

    Not sure if this has been answered on the list yet..... one thing you
    could check is your BIOS settings, see if the hard drive type parameter is
    correct. Grub seems to want it set as 'LBA', I'm not sure about Lilo.
    (This applies to IDE drives. Not sure whether SCSI makes any difference).

    cr

    cr Guest

  7. #7

    In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
    <snip /etc/fstab and df results - looked good to me>

    I haven't actually seen the answer to your question and am not real sure
    what it is. I looked at the lilo manual and L 01 means that the first stage
    boot loader is loaded and there is a Disk error - the drive is not
    accessible. I think that may have to do with a module that is needed to run
    the SCSI drive and that module doesn't get loaded in time for LILO. I don't
    know what module that would be, but perhaps you can find out what is needed.
    I glanced at the SCSI-2.4 HowTo and Section 4 covers what is needed in the
    kernel for SCSI. I think your answer will be there. If you don't have this
    on your machine, you can get it in the HowTo section at www.tldp.org.
    Basically, I think you just need to recompile your kernel to include
    something scsi which is currently compiled as a module.

    I think you can also do this with an initrd image, but I know even less
    about that.

    Anita

  8. #8

    Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up getting the answer from the
    LILO developer. His answer is below. The problem stems from the fact
    that the version of LILO in stable can't handle the bios booting from a
    disk other than the first one, without telling lilo what the bios boot
    order is. In my system the first HD according to the bios is /dev/hda
    then /dev/hdb and then /dev/sda. The bios re-arranges them for booting
    purposes and lilo needs to know the order they are for booting which in
    my case is /dev/sda then /dev/hda and then /dev/hdb.

    Thanks
    Jefferson Cowart
    net