Professional Web Applications Themes

LILO vs grub - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

What exactly are the merits of LILO as compared with grub? I use grub because the MBR doesn't have to be altered when I compile a new kernel. But lots of people evidently prefer LILO, so I guess it must have some advantages -- what are they? -- Timothy Murphy e-mail: tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie (all email over 80k dispatched to /dev/null) tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366 s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland...

  1. #1

    Default LILO vs grub

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
    (all email over 80k dispatched to /dev/null)
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
    Timothy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: LILO vs grub

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    LILO is old, teeny, and stable. It also allows the use of "lilo -D" and
    "lilo -R" to set reboot arguments to default to your old kernel, but
    reboot once with the new kernel so all you have to do to recover is reboot.

    Amen. GRUB also has a very parsable and modular structure, and just wins
    in many, many, many ways.

    Mostly it's historical: grub hasn't been around that long, and it is
    *teeny* compared to grub.

    Nico Guest

  3. #3

    > What exactly are the merits of LILO as compared with grub?

    I know it better.
    I feel no need to learn the syntax of grub.

    Which indeed is one of the big advantages of grub

    The biggest one, for me, is lilo's -R switch.
    AFAIK grub has no equivalent switch/option

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  4. #4

    Eric Moors wrote:

    > I know it better.
    > I feel no need to learn the syntax of grub.
    >[/ref]
    yes and I wonder why they chose to label partitions the way they did..

    SD Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:25:07 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

    Since I might boot into single user mode once every 1 or 2 years
    remembering the sequence is much easier with lilo.

    ---------------- using lilo -----------------------

    Hit Tab key at lilo prompt then

    linux single

    ----------------- using grub ----------------------
    down arrow to selection
    arrow to end of line
    single
    Bit Guest

  6. #6

    >>>What exactly are the merits of LILO as compared with grub?
    > yes and I wonder why they chose to label partitions the way they did..[/ref]

    I think that syntax is actually a standard. (not sure which/whos one though)
    IIRC NT uses the same syntax.

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  7. #7

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    .... i dont know, i think this can be equated to programmer
    editor wars - it's all about personal choice. personally,
    i prefer grub, it just seems 'easier' for me. there is one
    thing to consider: most vendors are now bundling grub as
    the default
    ..
    Lost interest? It's so bad I've lost apathy.

    mjt Guest

  8. #8

    Nico Kadel-Garcia <net> wrote:

    And also doesn't depend on you having a working file system structure
    still hanging around when you boot.

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  9. #9

    LILO version 22.5++ is also insensitive to changes in the disk configuration,
    a plus on systems with a BIOS that presents a menu of drives to boot, and
    assigns BIOS device codes differently, depending upon the drive selected.

    LILO also supports redundant booting on software RAID1 arrays. I don't know
    if GRUB supports booting when a drive fails.

    --John

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:49:46 +0200, Eric Moors <land> wrote:

    >I know it better.
    >I feel no need to learn the syntax of grub.

    >Which indeed is one of the big advantages of grub

    >The biggest one, for me, is lilo's -R switch.
    >AFAIK grub has no equivalent switch/option
    >
    >Eric[/ref]

    JohnInSD Guest

  10. #10

    SD wrote:

    > yes and I wonder why they chose to label partitions the way they did.[/ref]

    .... have you checked into *BSD ? :)
    ..
    Optimization hinders evolution.

    mjt Guest

  11. #11

    mjt wrote:

    > ... have you checked into *BSD ? :)
    > .[/ref]
    nopes, I checked into MDK recently and just upgraded to 9.2 RC2 (hoping
    for better ACPI support) causing havoc to my setup (going back to 9.1
    this weekend).. I need something that runs a lot of stuff out of the box
    = ACPI (since I run linux on laptop), Webcam, Digital Camera, NTFS
    partition recognition. And I want something that is easy to install =
    pop the CD in and setup will do everything right the first time with
    minimal effort required.. Now if you claim *BSD can do all that then it
    is for me.

    Before deciding on MDK, I tried out Redhat but I needed to go find
    packages to just play mp3 files. Plus while booting Redhat 8.2, it said
    Fat32 support is in alpha (I have no idea why) and I obviously dont want
    that. MDK claimed it could resize NTFS partitions on install. I would
    have tried Suse but they don't have ISOs for download and the Suse boot
    CD couldnt recognize the ethernet card on my notebook.

    Red hat installed GRUB by default and I didnt have the patience to
    figure GRUB out when I can do what I want with LILO and redhat GRUB
    never booted windows correctly on my desktop which has linux and windows
    on different drives. Mandrake does that out of the box (I know it runs
    LILO but that knowledge is not necessary to get dual boot working like a
    charm)

    SD Guest

  12. #12

    Keith Guest

  13. #13

    SD wrote:

    >> ... have you checked into *BSD ?:)[/ref][/ref]

    ..... my fault, actually. i was responding to your comment
    about why they chose to label partitions that way, with
    the BSD family, ya got "slices" and stuff like that there :))
    ..
    Immigration is the sincerest form of flattery. - Jack Paar

    mjt Guest

  14. #14

  15. #15

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > Though if you know lilo, it's very easy to switch a grub system to lilo,
    > as I did last week when for some reason grub wouldn't boot my box. If
    > you know neither, however, it probably pays to start with grub.
    >
    > --keith
    >[/ref]
    I say if you know none, go with whatever the distro does by default..

    SD Guest