Professional Web Applications Themes

Limitation of hardware on the number of faces?!!?!! - Macromedia Director 3D

I am doing try-outs on the possiblities of a proyect with 3dshockwave, this proyects needs an object with a great amount of faces. Iīve tried exporting on several computers an object with more than 500.000 faces with 3dsmax, and two things have happened: 1. The application shut-down, without any type of error message. 2. An error message popped up with the following message: "The application has run out of memory and will shut-down now. Would you like to attempt to save a copy? Do to the first error (no message popping up) I canīt be 100% sure, the problem is ...

  1. #1

    Default Limitation of hardware on the number of faces?!!?!!

    I am doing try-outs on the possiblities of a proyect with 3dshockwave, this
    proyects needs an object with a great amount of faces.

    Iīve tried exporting on several computers an object with more than 500.000
    faces with 3dsmax, and two things have happened:

    1. The application shut-down, without any type of error message.

    2. An error message popped up with the following message: "The application
    has run out of memory and will shut-down now. Would you like to attempt to
    save a copy?

    Do to the first error (no message popping up) I canīt be 100% sure, the
    problem is a hardware problem. Could anybody tell me if the limitation is do
    to the hardware? And is anybody able to tell me what memory it refers to?
    (The message dosenīt specify).

    A question about antiAlias:

    To smooth out the rough edges created by 3dshockwave, I have used the
    function antialias, the problem is that this greatly slows down the
    application, I tried it with an object with very little faces, and it too
    slows down the application, which means itīs not the faces.. the problem is
    that it looses the "real time" effect. My question is the following:

    Is it slowing down the application because of a hardware problem? If so,
    What is this function working on? (Ram, procesor, Vram...)

    Thank you very much

    Curro Jiménez Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re:Limitation of hardware on the number of faces?!!?!!

    Hello,

    I believe there is a misunderstanding here.

    500,000 faces is the face budget you would use to compute prerendered stills or videos (AVI, QuickTime...).

    Shockwave 3D and ANY other Web 3D technology is REAL TIME 3D.

    The maximum reasonable amount of faces you can use is ten times less, i.e 50,000.
    But reasonably, to get a realistic world, I would rather advise no more than 20,000 faces.
    To be interactive, your project has to be responsive. To be responsive, it has to be optimized. This means no more than 20,000 faces and no more than 512 x 512 textures (preferably 128 x 128 and 256 x 256 textures). The total video memory used by textures can be read when you export the scene in 3DS Max. It is the Runtime Texture Size. It should be no more than 16 megabyte or 32 at most.

    About anti-aliasing, it is slow because it is not a wired feature in Shockwave 3D. It is the CPU and not the graphics card GPU which handles anti-aliasing. However, you can disable it in your Director project and force it in the parameters of your graphics card.

    Cheers,
    Karl.

    Newt99 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    The Level Of Detail (LOD) is another parameter you can play with to improve performance. It has been invented for pilots training flight simulators to improve rendering speed. In Shockwave 3D, you need only one multi-resolution mesh (MRM) for all the levels of detail (LOD) displayed according to the distance of a given object to the camera. Contrary to other 3D technologies, Shockwave 3D requires only the creation of the high resolution mesh and not that of lower resolution meshes. It is also more realistic for Web 3D as you only need to download one mesh.

  4. #4

    Thank you very much for the information Karl, it is of great help. Although
    I believe I wasnīt specific enough in my question. What Iīm trying to do is
    creat a virtual world with 800.000 to 1.000.000 faces approximately. There
    isnīt a problem with the limitations of the computer, I mean, it dosenīt
    matter if I have to get a $15.000 computer. From what youīve told me, I
    might be usind the wrong software, Iīve been investigating with Shockwave 3d
    because itīs easy to use, and because itīs optimation tools. But now Iīm in
    a dead-end. Does anybody know of a software capable of managing this
    proyect?

    Thanks a million

    Curro Jiménez Guest

  5. #5

    Does it /really/ need 10^6 faces? How about breaking it down into several (lots
    of) smaller models? Otherwise, do yourself some rough calculations of the sort
    of processing power and data bandwidth you'll need for real-time handling of
    10^6 faces. I don't know if there are any second-hand Cray X-MPs available, I
    don't think you'd need one of their current models ;-)

    Andrew

    Andrew Morton Guest

  6. #6

    I'd like to point out a common misunderstanding here. When you do not optimize the graphics and code, whatever the configuration of the machine you use, it will be slow. Even on a dual processor 3 Ghz P4 with the most powerful GeForce available. And it is true for ANY technology.

    Currently, I know of no PC based technology capable of displaying hundreds of thousand polygons.

    You had better code in C++ and assembly language on PC or use a realtime 3D tool available on the latest Silicon Graphics workstation. And I'm not kidding.