Professional Web Applications Themes

Line art, Transparency, & QuarkXpress - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

I need help. I have scanned some very detailed illustrations. It would be impossible to use a clipping path in my case, but I am trying to take these line art scans and place them in Quark without the white background. My intent is to place a gradient behind these line drawings. I would think there would be a way to preserve background transparency, but flattening obviously does not allow that. Is this a far fetch dream I am chasing or is this at all possible to do in either Photoshop or Illustrator? I have already explored the possibility of ...

  1. #1

    Default Line art, Transparency, & QuarkXpress

    I need help. I have scanned some very detailed illustrations. It would be impossible to use a clipping path in my case, but I am trying to take these line art scans and place them in Quark without the white background. My intent is to place a gradient behind these line drawings.

    I would think there would be a way to preserve background transparency, but flattening obviously does not allow that. Is this a far fetch dream I am chasing or is this at all possible to do in either Photoshop or Illustrator? I have already explored the possibility of creating the gradient in one of those programs and placing the image in Quark.

    I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I have seemed to have tried everything.

    Thanks! :) Kathleen
    kafiala Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Line art, Transparency, & QuarkXpress

    Quark does not support transparency except for clipping path period.

    Since a clipping path will not work for you…

    Either build all of your background elements in Illustrator or use InDesign.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks so much for your reply. I assumed that. Man, it would be great to have the ability to do that though.

    Kathleen
    kafiala Guest

  4. #4

    it would be great to have the ability to do that though.

    ahem…InDesign. ;)
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I have never played with that. Is it cool? Not a Quark fan, eh?
    kafiala Guest

  6. #6

    Do yourself a favor and download the trial. (30 day full working version)

    I am in prepress and I use all the applications. Currently without a doubt, InDesign is the better application.

    Note: If you try the trial, you may become spoiled with it. The learning curve is different for different people but for me it was working knowledge within an hour and pretty adept within a week.

    Everybody's mileage will vary.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I would recommend doing this as well.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I hope I'm understanding you correctly.

    You said you scanned the art? Do you have Photoshop? If so, you can save it as a .tif and bring it into Quark. Then color the box with the screen.

    Or depending on the artwork you could, also from Photoshop, save as an .eps with trasperant whites and bring it into Quark.

    But if you need to trap not so easy. Unless it's a bitmap with black as the color, then you can overprint the .tif in the trap window from Quark, or overprint black .eps from the print dialog in Quark.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  9. #9

    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    You save as an .eps from Photoshop, a box comes up with a checkbox for save with transparent whites. Then get picture in Quark. It works for me.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  11. #11

    I was under the impression that the scans need to be in grayscale or color even though line art was mentioned. If it could be changed to bitmap mode, then it would work in Xpress. But, only then.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    And I was just thinking line art as bitmap. Sorry.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  13. #13

    It worked!!! I never saw that transparent white option before. The only thing is that when I scan as a bitmap image or I convert a scan from grayscale to bitmap, I lose some of the drawings and they become unclear.
    kafiala Guest

  14. #14

    If you need it as a grayscale, then save it as a .tif and bring it into Quark. Then color the background in the picture box.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  15. #15

    Thanks for your help. I knew there was a way to do it, but I wasn't having much luck. I should have just continued my work in Photoshop instead of trying to get results in Illustrator.
    kafiala Guest

  16. #16

    19May13 - Normally I don't hang out on discussion forums (no dates, people!), but I too discovered that Quark 9 disallows the importing of line art with transparent backgrounds! The pain! The suffering! Oh, the aggravation! After lots of sites, my sincere thanks to hellocrissey for her excellent Photoshop tutorial on transparentizing backgrounds of imported scans/line art to make floating line art, I learned a lot tonight. So, on to Adobe InDesign tomorrow - hoping they haven't cut me off at the knees (Quark has actually TAKEN AWAY functionality over the last several versions)! PS. Chrissey's instructions for making floating line art need one addition: If the imported art is locked, just SELECT ALL & COPY, create a new unlocked layer and paste. Then proceed with her instructions.
    whitemouse is offline Junior Member
    May 2013
    Location
    USA