Professional Web Applications Themes

Line printer configuration on Fedora linux - Linux / Unix Administration

hi, I am trying to configure line printer(Dataproduct) on Fedora core 3. The printer prints few strings and stops. Even the string is incomplete as random letters are missedout during printing. I tried using "Raw print queue" as well as "Generic text only" driver on fedora. the hardware is compaq pentium IV system. Also the parallel port is set to "SPP enhanced" on this compaq system. The same system and cable properly prints on a HP deskjet printer. so is this issue related to driver settings? What would be typical printers.conf and /etc/printcap setting for these kind of line printers? ...

  1. #1

    Default Line printer configuration on Fedora linux

    hi,

    I am trying to configure line printer(Dataproduct) on Fedora core 3.
    The printer prints few strings and stops. Even the string is incomplete
    as random letters are missedout during printing. I tried using "Raw
    print queue" as well as "Generic text only" driver on fedora. the
    hardware is compaq pentium IV system. Also the parallel port is set to
    "SPP enhanced" on this compaq system.

    The same system and cable properly prints on a HP deskjet printer. so
    is this issue related to driver settings? What would be typical
    printers.conf and /etc/printcap setting for these kind of line
    printers?

    any pointers are greatly appreciated.

    TIA
    Ravi

    ravikatti@gmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Line printer configuration on Fedora linux

    On 30 May 2005 06:04:41 -0700, com
    <com> wrote:
    Model number of the printer? Has this printer been tried with another
    computer or operating system? Have you checked linuxprinting.org for
    any information about this kind of printer? How long is the parallel
    cable?

    --
    Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember, it didn't help
    the rabbit.

  3. #3

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    com wrote:

    652047 Jan 30 2004 Hardware-HOWTO
    258831 Aug 4 2003 Printing-HOWTO

    The Dataproduct name isn't listed, so you will need to determine what
    printer is similar. By the way, did you check in the comp.os.linux.*
    newsgroups - specifically c.o.l.hardware?

    Old guy
    Moe Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Guys,

    I am still clueless. linuxprinting.org has almost all printers listed
    but dataproduct printers. Could someone help with respect to
    /etc/printcap entries and the filter options. Any pointers suggestions
    will be greatly appreciated.
    I also posted on fedora newsgroup and many unix groups but havent
    received any convincing replies. I am sure there are line printers
    wokring on linux out there.

    TIA

    ravikatti@gmail.com Guest

  5. #5

    On 30 May 2005 06:04:41 -0700, com
    <com> wrote:
    I've been doing some Google searching and it's hard to find anything
    specific on Dataproducts line printers, but one thing I have found is
    that some of them don't use a Centronics standard parallel port. The
    owner's manual would have information about making a printer cable.
    (this might not apply if your printer has a centronics-style connector,
    but I don't know)
    http://www.driverforum.com/printer/748.html

    Adobe has ppd files packaged for Windows or Mac, but I don't know if
    these are for line printers or only for laser printers.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/main.html
    On a linux system you'd have to extract the files with stuffit or wine.

    Another thing I have found is that the Dataproducts name is apparently
    now owned by Hitachi which also owns Ricoh.
    http://www.hitachi-printingsolutions.us/techsup/drivers/prntdrv.html
    Try the "legacy drivers"

  6. #6

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    com wrote:

    A search on google turns up seventy thousand hits on buying ribbons and
    such crap for them, but nothing interesting in the first few pages of
    results. You might try there, and refine your search terms to include
    such things as the model number which you haven't mentioned.

    Yeah, you're lucky. A year or two ago, you'd be flayed alive for posting
    a Linux question in a *unix* group. Apples are fruit, and so are oranges,
    but apples are not oranges.

    I suspect google would have turned up something, but have you looked in the

    alt.comp.periphs.printers
    comp.periphs.printer
    comp.periphs.printers

    news groups? Only the last is listed as a Big8 group, but the others are
    on the news server I'm reading from.

    Most everyone seems to require Laser printers, or at worst inkjets, but
    I think Linux even supports Daisy Wheel printers after a fashion. As
    mentioned up-thread, your best bet is to find out what the printer is,
    and then look at the manual to see what it's similar to. I suppose there
    might be some way you can kick the printer to emulate an Epson FX-80 or
    similar - just about all non-laser printers seem to be able to do that.

    Old guy
    Moe Guest

  7. #7

    On 5 Jun 2005 05:52:55 -0700, com <com> wrote:

    Can you explain what is so unique about the printer you want to install
    that makes you want to use it? Can you use a supported printer?

    Sometimes an item is so old, that it'll never get good support with
    modern OS and apps, and it's time to let it go. This might be one of
    those times.

    Dave Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 19:13:45 -0500, Moe Trin <example.tld> wrote:

    > A search on google turns up seventy thousand hits on buying ribbons and
    > such crap for them, but nothing interesting in the first few pages of
    > results. You might try there, and refine your search terms to include
    > such things as the model number which you haven't mentioned.

    > Yeah, you're lucky. A year or two ago, you'd be flayed alive for posting
    > a Linux question in a *unix* group. Apples are fruit, and so are oranges,
    > but apples are not oranges.[/ref]

    Not really, he would have had the usual idiot go into his rant, and a
    bunch of us advising him to avoid said idiot. Nothing flame-worthy
    about posting a unix question on a unix group, and Linux is just another
    unix, just as are FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and MacOSX.

    Sure, but at some point, why bother? Drop 50 bucks, get a new printer,
    and get on with life. Unless it's a tinkering-specific project.
    Dave Guest

  9. #9

    Well, I have posted a question pertaining to unix admin. Nothing wrong
    in it.

    I am using cobol on old m68k system which unfortunately is dying. The
    line printer is still very much live and kicking. The cobol
    applications takes care of every aspect of the company like
    HR,Admin,Accounts etc. So the printing load is very high on different
    kinds of continous stationery. It is for these reasons I am desperate
    to get the line printer working on linux.
    For now I have solved the problem by using print server(hardware). But
    am really keen to get the printing done directly from linux. It
    certainly is flow control problem, and am looking at right printcap
    entries and filter options. Even if someone can help me with "tunelp"
    parameters that would be great.
    Thanks to all those who have replied, but would like to keep this
    thread alive.

    TIA
    Ravi

    ravikatti@gmail.com Guest

  10. #10

    On 8 Jun 2005 01:07:19 -0700, com <com> wrote:

    I'm not criticizing your choice to spend time on a 20 year old printer,
    I'm wondering why you're trying to do it. Big difference.

    Is the real question "How do I find a current line printer that is
    supported by Linux", maybe? Because you could probably find a supported
    printer in the list (guessing Epson series is a good bet), and then find
    a printer to match on eBay, and you're in business.

    Oh, and when you top-post, it s up the flow of the conversation.
    Particularly a problem in a technical newsgroup where context is
    important.

    Dave Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:07:19 -0700, ravikatti wrote:

    We have a very old dataproducts printer (a 420 I think) running off a
    linux box. I our case the box running RedHat 9 and cups. In any event, a
    standard line printer should work without any problem provided the serial
    port is working (assuming this is a serial printer). As far as
    configuration is concerned, you should configure said lineprinter as a
    generic printer. You may need to adjust the serial configuration to match
    the printer.
    Our configuration file has the following entry:
    #DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
    <DefaultPrinter dp>
    Info Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
    DeviceURI serial:/dev/ttyS0
    Location Data Processing
    State Idle
    Accepting Yes
    JobSheets none none
    QuotaPeriod 0
    PageLimit 0
    KLimit 0
    </Printer>

    The line DeviceURI is where you configure your port. If you are using a
    parallel port, use the commented out line. If as I assume you are using a
    serial port, you should may need to adjust some setting like this:
    DeviceURI serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=38400+size=8+parity=none+flow=soft

    All of the above assumes you are using cups and not an earlier printing
    system.

    --

    If at first you don't succeed,
    read the manual......

    Liam Guest

  12. #12

    com wrote:

    There is nothing unfortunate about an old system dying. You
    can tell the pioneers because they are the ones dead in the
    trail with an arrow sticking out of them. You can tell the
    langards because they are the ones dead in the trail with
    tire marks on their back and they were killed because they
    got run over when a pioneer lapped them in the race and ran
    them over. Don't be either a pioneer or a lagard unless you
    know the price and are willing to pay it. Your use of the
    word unfortunately hints that you don't know the price of
    being a lagard. Or that your management doesn't ...

    Still not a reason for keeping it. It a new printer will
    work, it should be used. Imagine the problems when your
    new system ages and dies and you're stuck with a printer
    so old it uses something called RS-232 and few even
    remember what that used to mean. Find a USB printer that
    works with your continuous forms if possible.

    Do you specify "if=" and "of=" filters that process your
    data? They get attached to the device to send the data.
    Experiment with "stty" within the script. On HPUX the
    interesting parameters would be clocal, ixon, ixoff,
    rtsxoff, ctsxoff, your system will be similar but will
    differ in details.

    Doug Guest