Professional Web Applications Themes

Line spacing - HTML & CSS

sorry for my ignorance, but how do I define the space between lines in designer mode. example, if i write a poem the lines should appear close to each other, but they appear to spaced out, and I just can't find the option to alter that.... if anyone can help I would be thankful....

  1. #1

    Default Line spacing

    sorry for my ignorance, but how do I define the space between lines in designer
    mode.
    example, if i write a poem the lines should appear close to each other, but
    they appear to spaced out, and I just can't find the option to alter that....

    if anyone can help I would be thankful.

    Zakarumite Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Line spacing

    Use CSS to change the inherent margins for the <p> tag -

    p { margin:2px; } /* adjust to suit */

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Zakarumite" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > sorry for my ignorance, but how do I define the space between lines in
    > designer
    > mode.
    > example, if i write a poem the lines should appear close to each other,
    > but
    > they appear to spaced out, and I just can't find the option to alter
    > that....
    >
    > if anyone can help I would be thankful.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Create a style for the <p> tag your poem's in (or whatever tag its in), and
    set the line-height for that style, either in pixels of ems. For example,

    poem_block
    {
    font-size:11px; line-height:15px
    }

    I don't think altering the margins will make any difference to how far apart
    the lines of a block of text are spaced.

    Hope that helps,

    Rob

    Zakarumite wrote:
    > sorry for my ignorance, but how do I define the space between lines
    > in designer mode.
    > example, if i write a poem the lines should appear close to each
    > other, but they appear to spaced out, and I just can't find the
    > option to alter that....
    >
    > if anyone can help I would be thankful.

    rob::db Guest

  4. #4

    Certainly it will. Try it and see.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  5. #5

    Sorry Murray, I just tried it, with a big block of text, and it didn't do
    much, with <p style='margin:5px'>... stuff... </p> (no other styling defined
    for the tag). For the same styling with a span tag, it indented the left of
    the first line to the specified amount, which isn't surprising. That's all
    in XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

    Even if it did work, it's far better to use the line-height property, which
    is designed for the task, and won't lead to unexpected results. For example,
    if you wanted to put the text in a positioned <div> tag, even if it did
    affect the line-height, (which it won't), it will cause the <div> to have
    margins all around it, which you probably don't want.

  6. #6

    Let's make sure there is agreement on what we are discussing.

    Changing the margin on the <p> tag will affect the space between adjacent
    paragraphs, e.g.,

    Changing the line height will adjust the space between each line within a
    paragraph, e.g.,

    The OP was asking about the first example as I read it. You read it as the
    second one.

    And XHTML matters not at all.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  7. #7

    I didn't think the fact that I used XHTML would matter, but it's best to be
    complete when quoting results.

    I read "the space between lines" as meaning the space between lines, not hte
    space between paragraphs, which I think was what the original poster was
    asking for. Of course, specifying margins for a <p> element will effect the
    spacings around it, as you say.

  8. #8

    Yep - so we need to wait for the OP to show up....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  9. #9

    sorry for this kind of confusing text but i was refering to space between
    paragraphs, I will try to make an CSS style altough I've never worked with this
    option, I'm a begginer.....

    Thanks for the help

    Zakarumite Guest

  10. #10

    YAY! That's what I thought you meant. 8)

    It's simple. Open the page, display the CSS panel with WINDOW | CSS Styles
    (Shift-11), and click on the New Style icon. You can elect to embed this
    style in the current page, or to write it to an external stylesheet file.
    Then select the tag radio button (since you are redefining an HTML tag - the
    'p' tag), scroll to and select 'p', and under the BOX category, you will
    find the option to change the margins for top, right, bottom and left.
    Adjust to suit and press enter or click OK. That's it.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > sorry for this kind of confusing text but i was refering to space between
    > paragraphs, I will try to make an CSS style altough I've never worked with
    > this
    > option, I'm a begginer.....
    >
    > Thanks for the help

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  11. #11

    Hi

    I hope someone can help.
    When typing within contribute and then press return to start a new line, the gap between the lines is to big, it dont match the rest of the site.

    Regards

    Gary
    GPM247 Guest

  12. #12

    You have several options.

    1. you can use linebreaks (Shift + Enter) or in the menu go to
    >Insert>Linebreak
    2. you can set the margin and padding in your CSS for the p tag to 0

    3. (not my favourite cause the p-tags get attributes inside that you better
    have in your CSS-file) you can adjust settings in the admin section to use
    Dreamweaver like p-tags or Text-processor like p-tags (then Contribute ads
    style="margin:0;" to the tag)

    ThinkInk Guest