Professional Web Applications Themes

Lines with no fill (no color). - Macromedia Freehand

I recall being able to make a line with no fill (color) in FH 9. Is there a way to do that in FHMX?...

  1. #1

    Default Lines with no fill (no color).

    I recall being able to make a line with no fill (color) in FH 9. Is there a
    way to do that in FHMX?

    Bruce Kieffer Guest

  2. #2

    I ask this question again. I recall being able to make a line with no fill
    (color) in FH 9. Is there a
    way to do that in FHMX?

    Bruce Kieffer Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lines with no fill (no color).

    Bruce Kieffer wrote:
    > I ask this question again. I recall being able to make a line with no fill
    > (color) in FH 9. Is there a way to do that in FHMX?

    Okay, I don't understand the question. FreeHand uses mathematically defined
    paths to which you can apply a stroke or a fill. In FHMX you can apply
    multiple strokes and fills to a single path. You can apply fills and strokes
    at the group level to groups of objects.

    If you want no fill, select the path's fill in the Object Inspector and
    click on the delete icon (trash can).

    If you want no stroke, do the same with the path's stroke.

    Normal FH behavior is that open paths do not display a fill. If you have
    checked the preference 'Apply fill to new open paths', (which is like Adobe
    Illustratrator behavior), then newly drawn open paths will display any fill
    that has been applied.

    I suggest you read through Help > FreeHand MX Help, "Using strokes and
    fills".

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  4. #4

    Judy,

    My problem is I used the wrong terminology when asking my question. Let me
    try again.

    I'd like to create a closed path with a solid fill color, and a stroke of
    say 10 points but without any color. Then as I would increase or decrease
    the width of the stroke, the fill would grow or shrink by 1/2 the width of
    the stroke.

    I did find a work around for this by cloning my path, deleting the stroke,
    and then doing an inset path of 1/2 the width of my original stroke. That
    way the cloned path sits on top and inside the original path covering all of
    the fill, but none of the stroke. If you wonder why I want to do this, I can
    send you my example file and you'll see why.

    Thanks

    in article BC53B93D.10C45%jarndtshawbiz.ca, Judy Arndt at [email]jarndtshawbiz.ca[/email]
    wrote on 2/14/04 12:38 PM:
    > Bruce Kieffer wrote:
    >
    >> I ask this question again. I recall being able to make a line with no fill
    >> (color) in FH 9. Is there a way to do that in FHMX?
    >>

    > Okay, I don't understand the question. FreeHand uses mathematically defined
    > paths to which you can apply a stroke or a fill. In FHMX you can apply
    > multiple strokes and fills to a single path. You can apply fills and strokes
    > at the group level to groups of objects.
    >
    > If you want no fill, select the path's fill in the Object Inspector and
    > click on the delete icon (trash can).
    >
    > If you want no stroke, do the same with the path's stroke.
    >
    > Normal FH behavior is that open paths do not display a fill. If you have
    > checked the preference 'Apply fill to new open paths', (which is like Adobe
    > Illustratrator behavior), then newly drawn open paths will display any fill
    > that has been applied.
    >
    > I suggest you read through Help > FreeHand MX Help, "Using strokes and
    > fills".
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    Bruce Kieffer Guest

  5. #5

    Bruce

    I would submit that the "work around" that you are talking about is not a work
    around but the correct way this should be done. I would continue on this same
    course of thinking to create your successively smaller shapes. You may have
    better results in creating the shapes by "outsetting" the paths. That is,
    making your smallest shape by hand and then growing larger shapes by putting
    negative numbers in the inset path panel. Sometimes this method works better
    in keeping the new shape truer to the original path than insetting will be able
    to.

    BTW, a stroke with no color would be transparent and not affect any fill at
    all...no matter how thick the stroke (no color = 100% transparent). What you
    are talking about is a stroke effect that acts as a live punch out effect. That
    effect does not exist. I am reasonably certain as well that this effect did
    not exist in version 9 either

    Papp

    Pappy Guest

  6. #6

    Bruce,

    the expand stroke command may be what you are looking for. It converts a
    line to a polygon.

    In fFHMX there is also the possibility of having multiple strokes on one
    object, this may be of interest to you.

    mg

    "Bruce Kieffer" <brucekieffer.us> wrote in message
    > Judy,
    >
    > My problem is I used the wrong terminology when asking my question. Let me
    > try again.
    >
    > I'd like to create a closed path with a solid fill color, and a stroke of
    > say 10 points but without any color. Then as I would increase or decrease
    > the width of the stroke, the fill would grow or shrink by 1/2 the width of
    > the stroke.
    >
    > I did find a work around for this by cloning my path, deleting the stroke,
    > and then doing an inset path of 1/2 the width of my original stroke. That
    > way the cloned path sits on top and inside the original path covering all
    of
    > the fill, but none of the stroke. If you wonder why I want to do this, I
    can
    > send you my example file and you'll see why.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > in article BC53B93D.10C45%jarndtshawbiz.ca, Judy Arndt at
    [email]jarndtshawbiz.ca[/email]
    > wrote on 2/14/04 12:38 PM:
    >
    > > Bruce Kieffer wrote:
    > >
    > >> I ask this question again. I recall being able to make a line with no
    fill
    > >> (color) in FH 9. Is there a way to do that in FHMX?
    > >>

    > > Okay, I don't understand the question. FreeHand uses mathematically
    defined
    > > paths to which you can apply a stroke or a fill. In FHMX you can apply
    > > multiple strokes and fills to a single path. You can apply fills and
    strokes
    > > at the group level to groups of objects.
    > >
    > > If you want no fill, select the path's fill in the Object Inspector and
    > > click on the delete icon (trash can).
    > >
    > > If you want no stroke, do the same with the path's stroke.
    > >
    > > Normal FH behavior is that open paths do not display a fill. If you have
    > > checked the preference 'Apply fill to new open paths', (which is like
    Adobe
    > > Illustratrator behavior), then newly drawn open paths will display any
    fill
    > > that has been applied.
    > >
    > > I suggest you read through Help > FreeHand MX Help, "Using strokes and
    > > fills".
    > >
    > > Judy Arndt

    Martin Gamache Guest