Professional Web Applications Themes

Link to live file on intranet drive? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Typically when using the Contribute "Link to a File on my Computer" contribute will grab a "snapshot" of that file and post it to the website. The problem with that is I have a file that frequently changes and I want the hyperlink to point to the file in it's location on our network so that when the user clicks the hyperlink, they go to the live file, not a copy that Contribute has grabbed. The syntax for the file in question is: file:\dilmom\global\isp\isproster\newroster.xls ...and when pasted into my brower directly, the file loads properly. Now, how can I put ...

  1. #1

    Default Link to live file on intranet drive?

    Typically when using the Contribute "Link to a File on my Computer" contribute
    will grab a "snapshot" of that file and post it to the website. The problem
    with that is I have a file that frequently changes and I want the hyperlink to
    point to the file in it's location on our network so that when the user clicks
    the hyperlink, they go to the live file, not a copy that Contribute has grabbed.

    The syntax for the file in question is:

    file:\\dilmom\global\isp\isproster\newroster.xls

    ...and when pasted into my brower directly, the file loads properly. Now, how
    can I put a hyperlink into our Intranet website (which we maintain with
    Contribute) that will point to that file without making a copy of the file and
    posting it? We need the data to always be current when the file is fetched via
    the hyperlink.

    Truelight54 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Link to live file on intranet drive?

    Truelight54 wrote:
    > Typically when using the Contribute "Link to a File on my Computer" contribute
    > will grab a "snapshot" of that file and post it to the website. The problem
    > with that is I have a file that frequently changes and I want the hyperlink to
    > point to the file in it's location on our network so that when the user clicks
    > the hyperlink, they go to the live file, not a copy that Contribute has grabbed.
    >
    > The syntax for the file in question is:
    >
    > file:\\dilmom\global\isp\isproster\newroster.xls
    >
    > ...and when pasted into my brower directly, the file loads properly. Now, how
    > can I put a hyperlink into our Intranet website (which we maintain with
    > Contribute) that will point to that file without making a copy of the file and
    > posting it? We need the data to always be current when the file is fetched via
    > the hyperlink.

    You can use the following:

    Link->Browse to web page->

    in the URL path enter file:\\dilmom\global\isp\isproster\newroster.xls

    This should work. This way you can create static links with any url that
    you want to have it as-unmodified.

    Hope this helps.
    Arun Kumar M Guest

  3. #3

    Nope....That doesn't work. Any other suggestions??
    Truelight54 Guest

  4. #4

    I remember reading that this is a known limitation of Contribute. Last
    time it came up, people hinted that this might be fixed in 4.

    (Can't wait to evaluate 4, I hope it solves some other problems I've
    been having, too!)

    Truelight54 wrote:
    > Nope....That doesn't work. Any other suggestions??
    Ben Bloom Guest

  5. #5

    Has anyone come up with a solution for this yet? I recently downloaded v4 and
    still am finding the same issues. I am linking to a file stored on a shared
    drive ie: file:\\apfs\ etc... Each time I try to use this I end up with
    contribute automatically changing the link to "unknown:"

    mrstopher2 Guest