Professional Web Applications Themes

Linking data, searching data, and format the data file - Macromedia Flash Data Integration

I'm sorta new to flash and integrating data and components...I'm usu. an interface designer. I'm trying to link a combo box to a file doesn't matter preferably a searchable txt file, then when submitting the search the output goes to another txt box located in the picture i'm hosting....then making the output clickable so when clicked another output goes to the address bar....this seems kinda wierd but i need to know what direction or how to link all this together. [url]http://home.comcast.net/TEST.fla[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Linking data, searching data, and format the data file

    I'm sorta new to flash and integrating data and components...I'm usu. an
    interface designer.

    I'm trying to link a combo box to a file doesn't matter preferably a
    searchable txt file, then when submitting the search the output goes to another
    txt box located in the picture i'm hosting....then making the output clickable
    so when clicked another output goes to the address bar....this seems kinda
    wierd but i need to know what direction or how to link all this together.

    [url]http://home.comcast.net/TEST.fla[/url]

    CobraC081375 Guest

  2. #2

    You would need decide which Flash Actionscript classes depending on your
    needs.

    This can include:

    1. LoadVars AS class. To fetch URL formatted data from a server script that
    in turn gets the data from a server file or database.
    2. XML AS class. To fetch XML formatted data from a server script that in
    turn gets the data from a server file or database.
    3. SharedObject AS class to fetch Object AS class data from the user's
    computer that you probably also wrote there. This is the equivalent to
    cookies only contained in Flash.
    4. FlashVars parameter of the OBJECT and EMBED tages. Usually a server side
    script formats part of the OBJECT and EMBED tag to provide data from a
    server file or database. The variables named in the FlashVars parameter are
    then available on the root timeline of the Movie at the first frame.

    Once the data is retrieved from these sources you can then addItems to the
    combo box which usually entail a loop but really depends on the structure of
    the data you have.

    --
    Lon Hosford
    [url]www.lonhosford.com[/url]
    "CobraC081375" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    I'm sorta new to flash and integrating data and components...I'm usu. an
    interface designer.

    I'm trying to link a combo box to a file doesn't matter preferably a
    searchable txt file, then when submitting the search the output goes to
    another
    txt box located in the picture i'm hosting....then making the output
    clickable
    so when clicked another output goes to the address bar....this seems kinda
    wierd but i need to know what direction or how to link all this together.

    [url]http://home.comcast.net/TEST.fla[/url]

    Motion Maker Guest

  3. #3

    Can I just have it read from a formatted html or xml data?
    CobraC081375 Guest

  5. #5

    so if i use those and can get it to connect via a txt file how do i format the txt file and can i have a function to search that txt file?...dont forget i am noobish when it comes to all this.
    CobraC081375 Guest

  6. #6

    For LoadVars the text file would be one line just as it appears for a URL
    query string. A generic layout example (it is one continuous line):

    Where you would substitute var1, var2 with meaningful names that LoadVars
    will automatically p into Flash variables for you to use. Ex:
    price=123&name=ABC

    For XML again on one line a generic layout example (it is one continuous
    line):

    <?xml version="1.0"
    encoding="iso-8859-1"?><datapacket><nodeName1>ABC</nodeName1><nodeName2>123</nodeName2><nodeName3>Hello
    yadda</nodeName4></datapacket>

    Again your nodeNames would be more meaningful to you ex:
    p out the data into Flash variables -- you need to do that.

    In both cases no whitespace (tabs, spaces and returns) other than in the
    data values such as the space in Hello World.

    Normally yu use word wrap in editor to help in editing.

    If you use server scripting then you can use separate lines in the script
    code and it will not add whitespace unless you add it.

    Although I do not have a simple example with a plain text file, here is a
    simple LoadVars example with PHP. The Flash side is the same.

    [url]http://www.hosfordusa.com/ClickSystems/courses/flash/examples/LoadVars/LoadVar01.php[/url]

    And this one before you hit the register button that demonstrates the
    LoadVars populating Flash UI components. Again it is using PHP but you can
    use a plain text file instead with the above format.