Professional Web Applications Themes

Linking multiple Illustrator files as one file - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am creating a workbook for my students and each page of the workbook is a different Illustrator file. (Illustrator 11; Windows XP; Dell) Now, the printing company I am using to print the workbook tells me she needs the entire workbook--all 100 pages--to be ONE Illustrator file. So, every page I have created in Illustrator has to be combined into one file! I imagine this is an easy thing to do (I hope), but have never done this because I haven't had a need to. Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance!...

  1. #1

    Default Linking multiple Illustrator files as one file

    Jeff_Nowak@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    It is most definitely not an easy thing to do. In fact it is just about the most impractical request a printer is ever likely to make. Your printer is asking you to do something that makes no sense. That they have made this request is a very good reason to find another printer.

    If you have InDesign you can place each Illustrator file on its own page in a 100 page doent, then submit the entire job (all 101 files, plus fonts) or export to PDF from InDesign.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The printer is incorrect in asking for a multi-page Illustrator file. (this is due to the printer's ignorance of Illustrator)

    The printer does want a combined file so they may rip all the pages at once. They have no automatic process set to combine separate files for printing and thus placing the 100+ files into one Quark or InDesign doent would be an additional cost.

    So, you will need to combine the files in InDesign (as previously mentioned and I recommend using this application) Quark (boo! ;)), Pagemaker or other. (Make sure the printer supports the application you intend to use and/or can accept a multi-page pdf file.)
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    <Wagging Finger> And let this be a lesson to those who would use Illustrator entirely for a project of this scope (ie that includes so many pages) </WF>
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    What about a PDF, especially if Jeff is unfamiliar with the boo application (which the printer is more likely to have, I believe)?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I am new to Illustrator CS2 (Mac, OSX) having just moved over from Freehand. From what I've just read in this string, is it not possible, then, to create multi-page doents in Illustrator? I am trying to find out how to create a two or three-page doent.

    Can someone tell me how to do this please? Thanks.
    Hazel_Lintott@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Hazel,

    CS2 has it. Quoting Len from another thread:

    CS2 will create Multi-page PDF's from tiled artwork, but that's your only
    option.

    Otherwise save individual pages as PDF and combine iin Acrobat Pro.

    You may do the latter as described here: Jacob Bugge, "Multilayer Illustrator to multipage pdf" #1, 4 Oct 2005 1:17 am </cgi-bin/webx?14.3bbca592/0>
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Hazel:

    Also, if you haven't already (I didn't check, I'm scared of Macs), post this question in the Mac forum for any specific bug info in regards to multi-page printing with CS2...

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  9. #9

    I am trying to find out how to create a two or three-page doent.

    Hazel,

    Illustrator cannot create a two or three page doent like you mean. The "new" functionality in the CS2 version of Illustrator is nothing more than the ability to print page tiles from FH or just about any other program. They just made that same functionality available when you save as a PDF. You could do the same thing in earlier versions by "printing" to PDF.

    But it's just a workaround using tiling in lieu of multiple pages. An Illustrator doent still has only one Artboard (page).

    JET
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks for your feedback, everyone! Unfortunately, I am a relatively new user of Illustrator and am teaching myself as I go!

    After reviewing your posts, here's my next question for discussion--to compile my workbook into one single "file," I've decided to transfer the individual Illustrator files to Pagemaker (I know--it's not the best program to be using!). However, the transfer from Illustrator to Pagemaker is terrible. The resolution is awful and the alignment is all out of whack. The transferred files are certainly much different than the "beautiful" pages I created in Illustrator. How can I fix this?! Is there a way to fix it? Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Jeff_Nowak@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Jeff, have you tried the PDF solution?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Jeff: Agreed on all comments above. Projects of this magnitude are best managed in InDesign. Clearly, the printer doesn't want to be responsible for all the labor involved in ripping each file separately. Not to mention, by submitting so many files, you are introducing a much greater chance of error at the printer. Jacob asks about pdf. If you save, or have your students save, each file as a pdf (taking care that the compression settings are adequate for printing), then you can compile all the images in one pdf doent via Adobe Acrobat. This is a slightly more hands-off solution than the InDesign one, but in my opinion a much better one than laying out in Pagemaker, a program which I think should be put out to pasture.

    I can talk you through this if you need help, although access to a full version of Acrobat is necessary, since the Reader doesn't allow you to compile pages.
    Alex_O_Briant@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Agreed... in this case I think a PDF is the way to go.

    Dean
    Dean Guest