Professional Web Applications Themes

Linking text boxes on master pages - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm using ID CS2 on PC (XP, SP2). I'm trying to set up my first ID doent from scratch. It's very simple -- one set of master pages (facing pages) with a single text box (2-column) on each page. I want to link the text boxes on the master pages so that when I dump in my Word text, the text will flow continuously (adding pages as necessary, which I assume ID will do). I can't figure out how to link the text boxes. I've read the help files and "Moving to InDesign" and I'm obviously doing something wrong. When ...

  1. #1

    Default Linking text boxes on master pages

    I'm using ID CS2 on PC (XP, SP2).

    I'm trying to set up my first ID doent from scratch. It's very simple -- one set of master pages (facing pages) with a single text box (2-column) on each page.

    I want to link the text boxes on the master pages so that when I dump in my Word text, the text will flow continuously (adding pages as necessary, which I assume ID will do).

    I can't figure out how to link the text boxes. I've read the help files and "Moving to InDesign" and I'm obviously doing something wrong. When I import text, it flows into the first page and then stops (with a red plus sign in the out port). Even if I add several blank pages to my doent before importing the text, it does not flow.

    I've tried linking the text boxes several times. Sometimes when I try to link them, I get a new text box on top of the original one, which is not good. I thought I had at least successfully linked the text box on the left-hand page to the box on the right-hand page, but I didn't get it right, since the text won't even flow from a left-hand page to a right-hand page.

    Could someone please explain the procedure to me in very simple terms?

    And should I be importing my text a different way? I'm clicking on the text box on the first page of my doent, clicking control-D, selecting my Word file (cursor displays the little tiny text page) and clicking on the text box.

    TIA,

    Marlene
    Marlene_Hochberg@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Linking text boxes on master pages

    Marlene,

    You want to AUTOFLOW the text. That's what it's called when you want text to flow beyond the current page and add new pages. To do that, hold down the Shift key when you click the Place cursor (it changes appearance and shows the Autoflow cursor).

    Most likely, you're doing too much work. You don't really have to place linked text frames on the master page to do your simple layout. Set your first page to have a 2-column layout. You can do this in File > New > Doent, or, if you already have your first page, select it in the Pages palette and select Layout > Margins and Columns and create a 2-column page. Without making a frame on the master page, go to page 1. Choose File > Place and select your Word file. When you have the placement cursor on page 1, hold down the Shift key and click at the top, left corner of the page. InDesign automatically honors the column guides, and with the Autoflow method chosen, extra pages will be created.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Steve,

    Thank you too much! Autoflowing the text onto pages without text boxes worked just fine.

    Although I did learn the hard way to put that cursor at the very top left corner before shift-clicking. <g> The first time I tried it, the text box didn't start at the top.

    Will autoflow only work if I'm working on a doent that doesn't have a lot of different master pages?

  4. #4

    Hmmm, I think I found a hitch in Autoflow.

    I wanted to change the bottom margin, and changing it both in the doent layout and in the master page layout doesn't do anything.

    Does this mean it's not possible to change the bottom margin -- i.e., the depth of the text box -- when autoflow has been used?

    I often have to fine-tune doents (if I don't see something I want to change, the client does), so I really need to be able to change the margins and/or width/depth/gutter of text boxes, etc. ...

  5. #5

    Marlene,

    That's one of the arguments to always use materpage textframes. Then you can change the size of the frame on the masterpage and all frames will change with it. But frames that are overridden qua width heigth won't change.

    Be aware the frames on the live pages will only adjust if you placed the text in the masterpage frames on them.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Does this mean it's not possible to change the bottom margin -- i.e.,
    the depth of the text box -- when autoflow has been used?

    Turn on Layout Adjustment (in Layout menu) first, before you change the margin. Then the frames will adjust.

    don't forget to turn it off afterwards, otherwise it may change things you don't want changed later on.

    AM
    Anne-Marie Guest

  7. #7

    Anne-Marie,

    That works of course. But I always look at that as a last resort. If, as Marlene says "I often have to fine-tune doents (if I don't see something I want to change, the client does)", I would prefer using master textframes.

  8. #8

    Will autoflow only work if I'm working on a doent that doesn't have
    a lot of different master pages?

    It will work on any doent, regardless of # of master pages.

    The only thing is that you can't combine 2 different master spreads for a single autoflow IF you're relying on master page text frames. If you Shift-click on an mp text frame to autoflow a text file onto a doent spread based on "C-Master C" for example, all additional pages it adds will also be based on Master C.

    Even if you've previously set up additional empty doc pages based on A Master and B Master, the autoflow will skip those empty pages and flow onto/add additional doc pages based on C Master.

    BUT if you use the "margins define live text area" method on your master pages (instead of text frames), then you can combine multiple masters into the same single autoflow.

    You'll still need to add those empty doc pages before doing the autoflow. But now, Shift-clicking on any doc page will automatically flow into the next empty doc page, regardless of which master it's based on. If it needs to create additional pages (beyond the ones you added), it'll revert to its default behavior and create new pages based on the same master as the first one you clicked on.

    ID is really quite a marvel when it comes to autoflowing, imho.

    AM
    Anne-Marie Guest

  9. #9

    ID is really quite a marvel when it comes to autoflowing, imho.

    I second that. Another example: if you're making a biligual publication (one language on the left pages, the other on the right), just make masterpage textframes, but don't connect them. Autoflow the first language file in the masterframe textboxes on the left pages and the second on the right and you're done. Marvellous.

  10. #10

    AM and Teus,

    Thanks for the additional info. Some of it is a bit confusing, but I think that's because of my lack of experience with ID. It will probably all make more sense when I've worked with it more.

    So, what's the consensus? If I am creating a doent where it is likely that I may need to change margins, depth or width of text box, gutter width, etc., is it better to use autoflow (and use layout adjustment to make changes) or to use master page text boxes (and make those changes on the master pages after text has been dropped into my doent)?

    I'm stalled with indecision, since I'm not used to having two options. <g>

  11. #11

    Well, I'm afraid opinions will differ. I certainly would prefer using masterpage frames in your case.

    Be aware that you also can use autoflow with masterpage frames. When flowing text on pages, the cursor will have the form of a page. When flowing into masterpage frames on pages it will have the shape of two big parentheses ( ). In both cases it will autoflow when the Shift key is pressed (visible by a S symbol rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise).