Professional Web Applications Themes

Linking URL truncating - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Hello. I am a relatively new user to Contribute/Dreamweaver, but I am having a problem that I just cannot comprehend. I was hoping someone might have an answer. When attempting to set up a new link on a random page, I highlight the text I want to use, and select "Insert Link". This brings up the "Insert Link" dialog. I then use the "Browse to Web Page" button, and then select that page I want to link to. Relatively simple - obviously. However, I notice that the link listed in the "HREF" field is getting truncated, and missing the path ...

  1. #1

    Default Linking URL truncating

    Hello. I am a relatively new user to Contribute/Dreamweaver, but I am having a
    problem that I just cannot comprehend. I was hoping someone might have an
    answer.

    When attempting to set up a new link on a random page, I highlight the text I
    want to use, and select "Insert Link". This brings up the "Insert Link"
    dialog. I then use the "Browse to Web Page" button, and then select that page
    I want to link to. Relatively simple - obviously. However, I notice that the
    link listed in the "HREF" field is getting truncated, and missing the path from
    the "Web addres (URL)" field.

    For example, the Web address (URL) might read something like:
    http://wwwdev/public/waste/hazards.jsp, but the "HREF" will display:
    waste/hazards.jsp

    So, I looked a some of the other links already created, and links on the two
    fields match each other (except for the missing www.dev). However, if I go
    into one of existing links and recreate it, the HREF field will get truncated
    again.

    What's confusing to me is that if I go check the code in Dreamweaver, the
    links that work will read something like: <a href="/public/waste/hazards.jsp">
    But if I recreate any of them, they will change to: <a
    href="waste/hazards.jsp">

    Does anyone know why the path is getting truncated? Is it a setting somewhere
    in Contribute or Dreamweaver? This is happening not just for me, but anyone
    else that has a key created by me. I checked my Dreamweaver settings and
    "Links relative to root" is set to "Site root". The "Don't rewrite doent
    relative paths" is also checked. Any other ideas?

    I am currently using version 4 for Contribute and version 9.0 for Dreamweaver.
    Thanks.

    whatcom_county Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Linking URL truncating

    This is new to Contribute CS4. There is a setting in Administer Website.
    Under Links, there are two options. To:

    write link relative to the current page (I believe this is the default)

    - and -

    write Links relative to the root of the web site

    I believe the latter setting will include the full path name.

    I haven't used this yet... I just upgraded from CS3, which didn't allow the
    settings (there was no Links setting). It used to drive me crazy because if I
    moved a website, it write the full path in the hrefs. I had to use DW to do a
    global Find and Replace on all the URLs.

    Anyway, check that setting and see if changing it solves your problem.

    GarryCT Guest

  3. #3

    Hi GarryCT.

    Thanks so much for the help. Unfortunately, the version of Contribute I am
    using is version 4, not CS4. If I understand the versions correctly, I am even
    behind CS3.

    If I go into the Contribute admin screen, there is no "links" section. So, it
    looks like this solution isn't even an option for me. Sigh.

    whatcom_county Guest