Professional Web Applications Themes

Linksys routers - Mac Networking

MacFixIt reader Michael George reports an issue with newer Linksys routers, such as the BEFSR11v2 and BEFVP41v2: "I've been using and setting up Linksys Routers for clients for the last 3 years. I've installed BEFSR11, BEFSR41, BEFSX41 and BEFVP41 models. Linksys has never officially supported Macs on these routers or any of their products but a Web browser was all you ever needed to set them up. However, it appears that the new Linksys Routers (with the Cisco label) REQUIRE a Windows based Web browser for their set up. I've tried Safari, IE, Opera and Netscape to setup both a ...

  1. #1

    Default Linksys routers

    MacFixIt reader Michael George reports an issue with newer Linksys
    routers, such as the BEFSR11v2 and BEFVP41v2:

    "I've been using and setting up Linksys Routers for clients for the last
    3 years. I've installed BEFSR11, BEFSR41, BEFSX41 and BEFVP41 models.
    Linksys has never officially supported Macs on these routers or any of
    their products but a Web browser was all you ever needed to set them up.
    However, it appears that the new Linksys Routers (with the Cisco label)
    REQUIRE a Windows based Web browser for their set up. I've tried Safari,
    IE, Opera and Netscape to setup both a BEFSR11v2 and BEFVP41v2. None of
    the Mac browsers would work. As soon as you try to apply a setting, a
    "Error 404 Not Found - Bad request or resource not found." page would
    flash up. If the same setup was done on a Windows box, no problems were
    encountered and the setting was saved. It appears that these Routers are
    using a new and revised Web based setup that requires Microsofts'
    version of javascript. And so Mac based browsers are left out in the
    cold."

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Linksys routers

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    Linksys = idiots. Why would anyone PURPOSELY alienate potential
    customers on a browser issue?
    Reginald Guest

  3. #3

    Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:

    You would think they would want to keep their web-based
    config as simple as possible, using standard html at the
    most. I will need to remember to not upgrade the firmware
    in my linksys BEFW11S4 just in case they *enhance* it to
    no longer work with macs.
    r5 Guest

  4. #4

    In comp.sys.mac.comm Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Well, cluelessness is the obvious answer. But what's more amazing
    is why use a browser at all? If you don't give a damn about non-
    Windows customers, you'd get more functionality from a dedicated
    client. One would think that vendors choose browser configs
    because they WANT to offer cross-platform tools.

    So, my bet would be that the original decision was made in order
    NOT to be platform dependent, but some moron at a lower level
    ed it up. If that's the case, screaming loudly up the food
    chain may cause it to be remedied..

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Tony Guest

  5. #5

    Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:

    > Linksys = idiots. Why would anyone PURPOSELY alienate potential
    > customers on a browser issue?[/ref]

    And it's not just Mac clients that may be left out here. I can't imagine
    the lunix crowd would deliberately install MS' shonky java just to be
    able to spoof jobs like this...
    Peter Guest

  6. #6

    In article
    <news.prodigy.com>,
    r5 <bounceme.net> wrote:

    > You would think they would want to keep their web-based config as
    > simple as possible, using standard html at the most. I will need to
    > remember to not upgrade the firmware in my linksys BEFW11S4 just in
    > case they *enhance* it to no longer work with macs.[/ref]

    Of course, one could get a Belkin router, which does work with Macs.
    There had been a bug in Safari that prevented it from connecting to the
    Belkin router unless you explicitly added ":88" (the port number) to
    the URL (http://192.168.2.1), but that bug was fixed in Safari 1.1 (and
    didn't exist in IE). And if you don't like Belkin for some reason,
    there are other brands available as well.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  7. #7

    Peter KERR <domain> writes:

    >> Linksys = idiots. Why would anyone PURPOSELY alienate potential
    >> customers on a browser issue?[/ref]
    >
    > And it's not just Mac clients that may be left out here. I can't
    > imagine the lunix crowd would deliberately install MS' shonky java
    > just to be able to spoof jobs like this...[/ref]

    Using a Javascript based setup interface isn't all that bright, but
    using a peculiar dialect is even more dim. My guess is it's
    deliberate, and that Linksys is looking to cut tech support costs by
    only having to have employees read from one cookbook.
    Tim Guest

  8. #8

    In article <local>,
    Tim McNamara <net> wrote:

    > > And it's not just Mac clients that may be left out here. I can't
    > > imagine the lunix crowd would deliberately install MS' shonky java
    > > just to be able to spoof jobs like this...[/ref]
    >
    > Using a Javascript based setup interface isn't all that bright, but
    > using a peculiar dialect is even more dim. My guess is it's
    > deliberate, and that Linksys is looking to cut tech support costs by
    > only having to have employees read from one cookbook.[/ref]

    Actually Linksys has never supported the Mac platform. You cannot, and
    never could, get tech support from Linksys for the Macintosh. They
    merely acknowledge that the router should work but if it doesn't, that's
    your problem as a Mac user. Personally I can't understand why Mac users
    have continued to buy from this outfit.
    Lawrence Guest

  9. #9

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > > You would think they would want to keep their web-based config as
    > > simple as possible, using standard html at the most. I will need to
    > > remember to not upgrade the firmware in my linksys BEFW11S4 just in
    > > case they *enhance* it to no longer work with macs.[/ref]
    >
    > Of course, one could get a Belkin router, which does work with Macs.
    > There had been a bug in Safari that prevented it from connecting to the
    > Belkin router unless you explicitly added ":88" (the port number) to
    > the URL (http://192.168.2.1), but that bug was fixed in Safari 1.1 (and
    > didn't exist in IE). And if you don't like Belkin for some reason,
    > there are other brands available as well.[/ref]

    I love my D-Link DI-624.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: http://www.mc-development.com/

  10. #10

    This is very bad and the practice seems to get more and more common. I
    have a Draytek Vigor Router and the only browser that works for
    configuring it is Internet Explorer.
    Mats Guest

  11. #11

    Michelle Steiner wrote:

    >>You would think they would want to keep their web-based config as
    >>simple as possible, using standard html at the most. I will need to
    >>remember to not upgrade the firmware in my linksys BEFW11S4 just in
    >>case they *enhance* it to no longer work with macs.[/ref]
    >

    > Of course, one could get a Belkin router, which does work with Macs.
    > There had been a bug in Safari that prevented it from connecting to the
    > Belkin router unless you explicitly added ":88" (the port number) to
    > the URL (http://192.168.2.1), but that bug was fixed in Safari 1.1 (and
    > didn't exist in IE). And if you don't like Belkin for some reason,
    > there are other brands available as well.
    >[/ref]

    But be sure to email Linksys and tell them why you did not buy their
    router. :-)

    And be careful Michelle, I remember a rather long thread about Belkin. :-)

    Bill Guest

  12. #12

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle
    Steiner <org> wrote:

    Hmmm. My Linksys router, WRT54G, was easy to setup with Netscape 7.1
    and Panther. Maybe it's just something new that Linksys is doing with
    the non-wireless routers. At any rate, Linksys's non-Mac support has
    always been a pain. Marginalization for sure.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bull before.

    My address has been anti-spammed.
    Please reply to: net replacing invalid with sonic.
    Otto Guest

  13. #13

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Bill Leeper <net> wrote:

    I noticed that the person who was knocking Belkin has been silent about
    Linksys. I would have thought that he would be telling everyone not to
    buy Linksys because they don't support the Macintosh.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  14. #14

    Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > I noticed that the person who was knocking Belkin has been silent about
    > Linksys. I would have thought that he would be telling everyone not to
    > buy Linksys because they don't support the Macintosh.
    >[/ref]

    I have used all three before and will probably now stay away from
    Linksys because of the Windows only setup interface. I have a Windows
    computer here, along with a ton of old stuff, but I choose not to do
    business with any company that says do it our way or not at all. And I
    do not have a beef with a company that does something stupid and then
    corrects to problem. Now if they make a point of doing stupid things all
    the time that is different.

    Do you by any chance need an old IBM PS1 model 20 with dual floppies and
    a 21mb HD? It has a very speedy 8088 running at 4.77mhz in it. :-)

    Bill Guest

  15. #15

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Bill Leeper <net> wrote:

    No, but I do have a bunch of old cassette tapes with Apple II software
    on them, but do not have a computer that will run them.

    I think that I will donate them as door prizes for the next netter's
    dinner that I'm able to attend at MacWorld SF.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  16. #16

    Otto Pylot <address.invalid> writes:

    >Hmmm. My Linksys router, WRT54G, was easy to setup with Netscape 7.1
    >and Panther.[/ref]

    Ditto for me, using IE 5 under Classic.
    --

    tom coradeschi <+> tcora(at)pica.army.mil
    Tom Guest

  17. #17

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 1:53:46 -0800, Michelle Steiner wrote
    (in message <west.cox.net>):

    > I noticed that the person who was knocking Belkin has been silent about
    > Linksys. I would have thought that he would be telling everyone not to
    > buy Linksys because they don't support the Macintosh.
    >
    >[/ref]

    You really think it's necessary? I would have thought anyone posting "DOES
    NOT SUPPORT MACINTOSH" would be enough of a deterent.

    But if you want, feel free to look up my previous comments on LinkSys. But I
    can save you some time -- none of them were nearly as interesting as having
    the whole configuration panel locked out.

    Steven Guest

  18. #18

    In article <0001HW.BC2ED50C00055CCDF01015B0shawnews>,
    Steven Fisher <net> wrote:

     [/ref]

    The statement "does not support Macintosh" can mean anything from "will
    not work with Macintosh" to the company simply lacks knowledge of
    Macintoshes or staff to support Macintosh users. And typically, things
    are closer to the "we don't know engough" end of the range than the
    "will not work" end. Consequently, "does not support" isn't much of a
    deterent for anyone other than novice users.

    --
    To reply via email subtract one hundred nine
    Bill Guest

  19. #19

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:15:28 -0800, Bill Rowe wrote
    (in message <west.earthlink.net>):

    Well, in this case, apparently it doesn't work with Mac web browers. This is
    all news to me; I have no way of confirming it at this point.

    Pretty shocking if true.

    Steven Guest

  20. #20

    On 2004/1/17 3:23 PM, "Steven Fisher" <net> wrote:

    > Well, in this case, apparently it doesn't work with Mac web browers. This is
    > all news to me; I have no way of confirming it at this point.
    >
    > Pretty shocking if true.
    >[/ref]

    It is most likely that MSIE is required to control the routers. If so, then
    not only Mac users but also LINUX and UNIX users - and MS Windows users
    running other web browsers - will have problems.

    I would describe it as more stupid than shocking.

    Bob Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast