Professional Web Applications Themes

linux admin books & resources? - Linux / Unix Administration

Hi everyone, I've been a Unix user for about 16 years, and was a full-time Unix sysadmin (more Solaris than anything, but other stuff too) for about 5 of those. Now I am about to be in a new position where I'm going to be spending part of my time doing Linux admin. So, my question is, are there any books or other resources that cover Linux admin and are meant for people who already know Unix? So much Linux doentation out there seems to be targeted at people who don't even know the basics of Unix, and if possible ...

  1. #1

    Default linux admin books & resources?

    Hi everyone,

    I've been a Unix user for about 16 years, and was a full-time Unix
    sysadmin (more Solaris than anything, but other stuff too) for about
    5 of those. Now I am about to be in a new position where I'm going
    to be spending part of my time doing Linux admin.

    So, my question is, are there any books or other resources that cover
    Linux admin and are meant for people who already know Unix? So much
    Linux doentation out there seems to be targeted at people who don't
    even know the basics of Unix, and if possible I really don't want to
    have to sift through stuff that tells me what a kernel does, why there's
    a shell, what /dev is for, what rwxr-x-r-x means etc. I want something
    that assumes I know Unix and covers only the things that are particular
    to Linux.

    Does such a thing exist?

    - Logan
    Logan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: linux admin books & resources?

    Logan Shaw wrote:

    don't expect anything close to the Solaris doentation. If you know
    Solaris well, then Linux will be more or less straight forward to
    administrate. There are a lot of differences in detail, but most of the
    concepts of Linux are similar to the older Solaris release (i.e. up to 9).

    Linux docu tends to be scattered all over the place. There are man
    pages, howtos, faq, samples, infodocs, and full doentations for
    certain packages on their development web pages. Often these docs are
    inconsistend or not up to date with the installed software. One of the
    reasons therefore is that many distributions do their own customizations
    and special solution to integrate with some sort of "control panel" to
    offert means of integrated adminstration for the unexperienced.

    I would suggest that you ask and look for doentation for the
    distribution you will be using. And for everything else google is you
    friend. Providing good doentation is expensive - so this one of the
    weaknesses of FOSS...

    Maybe you would be better off convincing them to get Solaris installed.
    Then you could spent your time on more important things then searching
    the web for an instruction to configure X on Y using Z with library L
    but without option O or hacking yourself all the way through it...

    Good Luck!

    Tom
    Thomas Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:58:13 GMT, Logan Shaw <rr.com> wrote:

    Well, this book is excellent:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0130206016/sr=1-1/qid=1138114802/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3916510-7838517?%5Fencoding=UTF8

    and I see she has a Linux-specific book that looks similar, here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0131480049/sr=1-3/qid=1138114802/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-3916510-7838517?%5Fencoding=UTF8

    It's due out in April, says on amazon. I'd wait and buy that one.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest