Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux and A7N8X Deluxe: audio problems - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I've installed Fedora Core 1 on a new PC with an A7N8X Deluxe mobo. On the initial setup, everything went fairly well, most of my hardware was detected without problem, and things started up fine upon bootup. I haven't had a chance to try everything yet (e.g. USB and Firewire ports), but the two problems that came up right off were the system not detecting one of the onboard NICs (this mobo has two), and no sound. It looked like I could fix both problems at the same time by downloading the nVidia Linux drivers, which had modules for both ...

  1. #1

    Default Linux and A7N8X Deluxe: audio problems

    I've installed Fedora Core 1 on a new PC with an A7N8X Deluxe mobo.
    On the initial setup, everything went fairly well, most of my hardware
    was detected without problem, and things started up fine upon bootup.
    I haven't had a chance to try everything yet (e.g. USB and Firewire
    ports), but the two problems that came up right off were the system
    not detecting one of the onboard NICs (this mobo has two), and no sound.

    It looked like I could fix both problems at the same time by
    downloading the nVidia Linux drivers, which had modules for both the
    NIC (nvnet) and the audio (nvaudio) (the system, as per
    /etc/modules.conf, had been trying to use the i810_audio module).
    There was no Fedora binary, so I downloaded a tar file and built from
    source (as per the instructions on nvidia's site).

    Indeed, everything went fine with the nvnet module, and I got the
    second NIC working right away. But I ran into problems with the
    nvaudio module. It compiled fine, but when I ran "insmod nvaudio", I
    got the following errors:

    Using /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

    I've tried a bunch of things, several based on restarting the system
    with certain settings of the kernel acpi and/or apic (uggh, acronym
    heaven) parameters, but nothing's worked so far. If anyone can give
    me some tips on getting this going, I'd really appreciate it!

    (I did actually get sound working when I used sound-slot-1 instead of
    sound-slot-0, but then it was only using the soundcore module, not
    even i810_audio. And from what I've read, getting the nvaudio module
    going is the "right" way to do this.)

    BTW, this system is dual boot with Windows 2000, and everything works
    fine there.

    Thanks!

    --
    Milt Epstein
    edu

  2. #2

    Default Re: Linux and A7N8X Deluxe: audio problems

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:49:11 -0700, Milt Epstein wrote:

    I've had the best luck with the alsa drivers. Go to the alsa site:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/ and select Supported soundcards, pick
    NVIDIA, then Driver and Docs Details and follow the directions.
    It is a little complicated, but it works well. You will have to
    remove the info from modules.conf for the modules from the "bad"
    drivers, then edit as shown in the directions to add the stuff
    for the new ones. Good Luck.

    Mark Goldberg
    Mark Guest

  3. #3

    Mark Goldberg wrote:

    Agreed, I've been using Kernel 2.6 with the ALSA drivers (intel i810 again)
    and they've been fine.

    Ben

    Ben Guest

  4. #4

    "Ben Pope" <com> writes:

    >Agreed, I've been using Kernel 2.6 with the ALSA drivers (intel i810
    >again) and they've been fine.[/ref]

    Well, OK, I tried to use the alsa drivers. I followed the directions
    on the nVidia page, and everything compiled and installed fine. But
    when I got to the insert modules step, I got the same error I got with
    the nvaudio module:

    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod snd-intel8x0 failed

    Here's the tail of dmesg (I think it's got all the relevant parts):

    Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.24, 15:28:15 Oct 29 2003
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:06.0 to 64
    i810: NVIDIA nForce Audio found at IO 0xd400 and 0xd000, MEM 0x0000 and 0x0000, IRQ 11
    i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
    i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
    i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
    ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ALG32 (ALC650)
    i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0, new EID value = 0x05c7
    i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0, DAC map configured, total channels = 6
    Nvidia + AC97 Audio, version 0.24, 00:03:16 Dec 30 2003
    Nvaudio: in Funcction Nvaudio_init_module
    Intel ICH soundcard not found or device busy

    Actually, upon further examination, only that last line is from this
    modprobe/insmode call, the previous lines are from when I attempted to
    insmod nvaudio.

    So, perhaps the same thing that's keeping me from being able to insert
    the nvaudio module is keeping me from inserting the alsa modules.
    Anyone got any ideas what that might be, and how I can get around
    that? Thanks.

    --
    Milt Epstein
    edu

  5. #5

    Milt Epstein <edu> writes:

    >>Agreed, I've been using Kernel 2.6 with the ALSA drivers (intel i810
    >>again) and they've been fine.[/ref]
    >
    >Well, OK, I tried to use the alsa drivers. I followed the directions
    >on the nVidia page, and everything compiled and installed fine. But
    >when I got to the insert modules step, I got the same error I got with
    >the nvaudio module:
    >
    >/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: init_module: No such device
    >Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    > You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    >/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o failed
    >/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o: insmod snd-intel8x0 failed[/ref]
    [ ... ]

    Solved!

    The problem was that an existing module (in this case i810_audio) was
    conflicting with the new module I was trying to install, and I had to
    remove it first. Finally after searching seemingly hundreds of
    pages/posts I found one that mentioned the idea of removing modules
    (using rmmod, with perhaps the -r option). That was the key.

    And actually I couldn't remove i810_audio, because it was busy. So
    what I ended up doing was removing the lines from /etc/modules.conf
    that caused that module to be installed in the first place, and
    rebooted. After that, I was able to complete the installation of the
    alsa drivers (and I bet it would've allowed me to install the nvaudio
    module as well).

    It took a bit more wrangling to get everything going, but now I'm
    happily listening to the Who's Tommy while I type this. (Too bad the
    monitor's speaker is so crappy, but that's easily remedied :-).

    BTW, I found the important piece of info on the following nVidia/Linux
    forum (and it looks like it's got lots of other helpful info):

    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=5258df498bf13c3e52da846d538beaa 1&daysprune=30&forumid=27&x=15&y=7

    Thanks again.

    --
    Milt Epstein