Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux does not detect hardware - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I have recently installed Debian/Linux version 3.0.23 on my Dell Inspirion 5150 laptop (along with WindowsXP). So far I have had limited success: the kernel and utilities run, but I believe a lot of hardware was not detected: can't use modem, floppy, usb, etc. I am not sure what is the best next step from here to solve this problem? Meanwhile, I am trying to sort out the modem (I need it to download updates). This modem appear to be interfacing with the PCI bus, so I did a PCI scan by running "lspci -vvx" and this is the ...

  1. #1

    Default Linux does not detect hardware

    Hi,

    I have recently installed Debian/Linux version 3.0.23 on my Dell Inspirion
    5150
    laptop (along with WindowsXP).

    So far I have had limited success: the kernel and utilities run, but I
    believe a lot of hardware
    was not detected: can't use modem, floppy, usb, etc.

    I am not sure what is the best next step from here to solve this problem?

    Meanwhile, I am trying to sort out the modem (I need it to download
    updates).
    This modem appear to be interfacing with the PCI bus, so I did a PCI scan
    by running "lspci -vvx" and this is the info I got back (only showing for
    the modem):

    00:1f:6 Modem: Intel Corp. : Unknown device 24c6 (rev 01) (prog-if 00
    [Generic])
    Subsystem : Broadcom Corporation: Unknow device 4d64
    Control: I/O+
    00: 86 80 ................
    10: 01 b4 ............
    20: 00 00 ......
    30: 00 00 .............

    I perhaps should add that all the other devices on the PCI bus are also
    "Unknown devices"
    including my NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200Go graphics card, firewire, etc.

    What are my options at this point to get the modem going?

    Thanks a lot in advance

    Jorge Castro

    Jorge Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Linux does not detect hardware

    Perhaps these links would help

    http://www.linmodems.org/
    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html
    Silviu Guest

  3. #3

    "Jorge Castro" <co.uk> wrote in message

    Not good. Hmm. Dell has traditionally been much more supportive of RedHat
    installations. Can you slap a recent RedHat on and see if the hardware is
    spotted correctly?

    Sounds like a Winmodem. These require special kernel drivers and modules,
    which are their own adventure to support.

    Any chance you can temporarily attach an external modem or PCMCIA modem
    until you can sort out this problem?

    Nico Guest

  4. #4

    "Jorge Castro" <co.uk> wrote in message

    Debian has a few packages which can assist in hardware detection:
    Hardware-recognition (and related) packages:

    =============== snip ==============
    discover
    hardware identification system (thank you, Progeny Systems, Inc.)
    mdetect
    mouse device autodetection tool
    read-edid
    hardware information-gathering tool for VESA PnP monitors
    sndconfig
    sound configuration (thank you, Red Hat Software, Inc.)
    hotplug
    USB/PCI device hotplugging support, and network autoconfig
    nictools-nopci
    Diagnostic tools for many non-PCI ethernet cards
    nictools-pci
    Diagnostic tools for many PCI ethernet cards
    mii-diag
    A little tool to manipulate network cards
    =============== snip ==============

    You'll definitly want to install discover.

    flupke Guest

  5. #5

    Jorge Castro wrote:

    Try the Debian ng: linux.debian user. (That is its full name. I think that
    you write to the list to subscribe.) I have heard that Debian does have
    difficulties detecting hardware. The easiest solution may be to install
    Knoppix, which is very good at detecting hardware, then expanding it to a
    full Debian distro.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is