Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux Email solution Qustions - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Our company has farmed out our servers to Interland, but we are getting sick of the huge amount of UCE/UBE we get in several of our mail boxes. Can I have a Linux box grab all the email from the different pop accounts and have it filter the junk and virus out then allow my users on site (LAN) and off site (WAN) pick up the cleaned spam free mail from it? Or would it be better to just create a complete email box with Linux and have our off site MX turned off and do it all in house? ...

  1. #1

    Default Linux Email solution Qustions

    Our company has farmed out our servers to Interland, but we are getting
    sick of the huge amount of UCE/UBE we get in several of our mail boxes.
    Can I have a Linux box grab all the email from the different pop
    accounts and have it filter the junk and virus out then allow my users
    on site (LAN) and off site (WAN) pick up the cleaned spam free mail
    from it? Or would it be better to just create a complete email box with
    Linux and have our off site MX turned off and do it all in house?

    Mike Moore
    Computer Services Technician
    Office (909) 866-5766 Ext.270
    Fax (909) 866-6806
    Snow Summit Mt. Resort
    mikemoore
    ssst
    snowsummit.com
    Contact info not for share, rent or distribution.

    MikeM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Linux Email solution Qustions

    MikeM wrote:
    > Our company has farmed out our servers to Interland, but we are getting
    > sick of the huge amount of UCE/UBE we get in several of our mail boxes.
    > Can I have a Linux box grab all the email from the different pop
    > accounts and have it filter the junk and virus out then allow my users
    > on site (LAN) and off site (WAN) pick up the cleaned spam free mail
    > from it? Or would it be better to just create a complete email box with
    > Linux and have our off site MX turned off and do it all in house?
    > Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    The easy way is to run the SMTP server yourself, and have the "farmed
    out" services point email there by setting appropriate MX records.
    You can set up the external MX as a gateway MX server, designed to
    forward the personal email to the internal server by using various relay
    or virtusertable entries in sendmail, and potentially run some basic
    filters there to help reduce the load.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  3. #3

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadelverizon.net> wrote in message
    | MikeM wrote:
    |
    | > Our company has farmed out our servers to Interland, but we are
    getting
    | > sick of the huge amount of UCE/UBE we get in several of our mail
    boxes.
    | > Can I have a Linux box grab all the email from the different pop
    | > accounts and have it filter the junk and virus out then allow my
    users
    | > on site (LAN) and off site (WAN) pick up the cleaned spam free mail
    | > from it? Or would it be better to just create a complete email box
    with
    | > Linux and have our off site MX turned off and do it all in house?
    | > Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    |
    | The easy way is to run the SMTP server yourself, and have the "farmed
    | out" services point email there by setting appropriate MX records.
    | You can set up the external MX as a gateway MX server, designed to
    | forward the personal email to the internal server by using various
    relay
    | or virtusertable entries in sendmail, and potentially run some basic
    | filters there to help reduce the load.

    Thanks Nico,
    I think I got a similar answer on Alt.os.linux. Which suggested I set
    up a Linux box, install Fetchmail, have it pull the pops in and
    distribute locally from there.
    Is this about the same as you suggested?

    MikeM Guest

  4. #4

    MikeM wrote:
    > Thanks Nico,
    > I think I got a similar answer on Alt.os.linux. Which suggested I set
    > up a Linux box, install Fetchmail, have it pull the pops in and
    > distribute locally from there.
    > Is this about the same as you suggested?
    Similar in result, very different in implementation. Rather than doing
    the transfers of messages via IMAP or POP and having processes run for
    each individual user, you turn off the external SMTP server and use the
    internal one instead, *OR* you tell the external SMTP server that all
    received email for your domain is to be transferred via SMTP to your
    internal server, which is quite easy to do with most SMTP servers. No
    fetchmails or user passwords for fetchmail to have to keep online or
    individual user account setups on the external server, and if your
    internal server gets horked for a bit of time, the external one will
    spool the email for you.

    You can also take advantage of things like "virtusertable" in sendmail
    to do different things with individual user's mail on the external
    server: pick a different department's internal SMTP server to pass along
    the mail to, for example, and have the different internal SMTP servers
    act as SMTP backups for each other to spool the mail when one of them
    goes down for internal traffic.

    Nya-ha-ha, I'm giving away all *sorts* of secrets about large setups
    here....

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:48:20 -0700, MikeM <MikeMNoSPAM.snowsummit.com> wrote:

    > Our company has farmed out our servers to Interland, but we are getting
    > sick of the huge amount of UCE/UBE we get in several of our mail boxes.
    > Can I have a Linux box grab all the email from the different pop
    > accounts and have it filter the junk and virus out then allow my users
    > on site (LAN) and off site (WAN) pick up the cleaned spam free mail
    > from it? Or would it be better to just create a complete email box with
    > Linux and have our off site MX turned off and do it all in house?
    > Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

    Easy. Have fetchmail bring it down and procmail filter out the spam and
    send the mail to the various mailboxes.

    Speaking of spam, the limit on Usenet sigs is 4 lines.

    Big sigs that contain advertisements are nothing but spam.

    If I see it again I will killfile you.

    Alan C

    --

    take control of your mailbox ----- elrav1 ----- [url]http://tinyurl.com/l55a[/url]

    Alan Connor Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:23:32 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:
    > Speaking of spam, the limit on Usenet sigs is 4 lines.
    Technically you are correct. The limit help keep down on wasted disk space.
    That would tend limit sigs to around 288 characters, His is around 196.

    Which is better than quoting the whole article to reply with a 122
    character answer.
    Bit Twister Guest

  7. #7

    "Alan Connor" <alanconnorearthlink.net> wrote in message
    news:oGa6b.638$PE6.203newsread3.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    | On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:48:20 -0700, MikeM
    <MikeMNoSPAM.snowsummit.com> wrote:

    | > Our company has farmed out our servers to Interland, but we are
    getting
    | > sick of the huge amount of UCE/UBE we get in several of our mail
    boxes.
    | > Can I have a Linux box grab all the email from the different pop
    | > accounts and have it filter the junk and virus out then allow my
    users
    | > on site (LAN) and off site (WAN) pick up the cleaned spam free mail
    | > from it? Or would it be better to just create a complete email box
    with
    | > Linux and have our off site MX turned off and do it all in house?
    | > Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    | >

    | Easy. Have fetchmail bring it down and procmail filter out the spam
    and
    | send the mail to the various mailboxes.
    |

    | Speaking of spam, the limit on Usenet sigs is 4 lines.
    |

    | Big sigs that contain advertisements are nothing but spam.
    |

    | If I see it again I will killfile you.

    1| Alan C
    2|
    3|
    4| --
    5|
    6+Advert >| take control of your mailbox ----- elrav1 -----
    [url]http://tinyurl.com/l55a[/url]

    Thanks for the email advice Alan.
    As for my signature I feel it is relevant and not spam as it points out
    who I am where I work and how to contact me.
    Your sig BTW is 6 lines including the spam advert to tinyurl.com. So
    you may killfile me if you like and it will do me no harm or not make
    me feel bad in any manner. I on the other hand don't killfile people
    for such petty and insignificant things as a line or two, or even nine.
    If you are hunting for a meal be aware that I do not feed the Bears, or
    the Trolls.
    Have a fantastic day Alan, I know I will.

    --
    [url]www.snowsummit.com[/url]

  8. #8

    "Bit Twister" <BitTwisterlocalhost.localdomain> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:23:32 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:
    |
    | > Speaking of spam, the limit on Usenet sigs is 4 lines.
    |
    | Technically you are correct. The limit help keep down on wasted disk
    space.
    | That would tend limit sigs to around 288 characters, His is around
    196.

    | Which is better than quoting the whole article to reply with a 122
    | character answer.

    Don't worry about it BT. His comment after the advice means nothing to
    me.
    Mike

    MikeM Guest

  9. #9

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:40:15 -0700, MikeM <MikeMNoSPAM.snowsummit.com> wrote:

    > "Alan Connor" <alanconnorearthlink.net> wrote in message
    > news:oGa6b.638$PE6.203newsread3.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >| On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:48:20 -0700, MikeM
    ><MikeMNoSPAM.snowsummit.com> wrote:
    >| >

    >| > Our company has farmed out our servers to Interland, but we are
    > getting
    >| > sick of the huge amount of UCE/UBE we get in several of our mail
    > boxes.
    >| > Can I have a Linux box grab all the email from the different pop
    >| > accounts and have it filter the junk and virus out then allow my
    > users
    >| > on site (LAN) and off site (WAN) pick up the cleaned spam free mail
    >| > from it? Or would it be better to just create a complete email box
    > with
    >| > Linux and have our off site MX turned off and do it all in house?
    >| > Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    >| >

    >| Easy. Have fetchmail bring it down and procmail filter out the spam
    > and
    >| send the mail to the various mailboxes.
    >|

    >| Speaking of spam, the limit on Usenet sigs is 4 lines.
    >|

    >| Big sigs that contain advertisements are nothing but spam.
    >|

    >| If I see it again I will killfile you.
    >|

    > 1| Alan C
    > 2|
    > 3|
    > 4| --
    > 5|
    > 6+Advert >| take control of your mailbox ----- elrav1 -----
    > [url]http://tinyurl.com/l55a[/url]
    >|

    > Thanks for the email advice Alan.
    > As for my signature I feel it is relevant and not spam as it points out
    > who I am where I work and how to contact me.i
    That's advertising and that's spam.

    > Your sig BTW is 6 lines including the spam advert to tinyurl.com.

    It figures. Some bozo who doesn't even know how to measure the length
    of sigs is trying to convince people that he's an IT expert.

    Killfiled for spamming the Usenet.

    Alan C

  10. #10

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:41:35 -0700, MikeM <MikeMNoSPAM.snowsummit.com> wrote:

    > "Bit Twister" <BitTwisterlocalhost.localdomain> wrote in message
    >| On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:23:32 GMT, Alan Connor wrote:
    >|
    >| > Speaking of spam, the limit on Usenet sigs is 4 lines.
    >|
    >| Technically you are correct. The limit help keep down on wasted disk
    > space.
    >| That would tend limit sigs to around 288 characters, His is around
    > 196.
    >|
    >| Which is better than quoting the whole article to reply with a 122
    >| character answer.
    >
    > Don't worry about it BT. His comment after the advice means nothing to
    > me.
    > Mike

    A typical attitude among criminals, petty and otherwise.

    Alan C