Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux Greenhorn: AMD 1400; 2,5GB; 512 MB RAM -> how many partitionsat which size?? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

imm:discht wrote: > Hi! > Yesterday I started interesting for Linux. I downloaded the first two > CDs of the Debian Distribution and read the installation guide. The > Lilo setup procedure askes me how many partitions I want to create. > I've read the topics about swap partition size and I don't know if I > need one because of 512 MB RAM. > Can u give me advices? > How many partitions do I need and which size sould they have? HD = > only for Linux & 2,5 GB. no other HDs connected > a new member ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Linux Greenhorn: AMD 1400; 2,5GB; 512 MB RAM -> how many partitionsat which size??

    imm:discht wrote:
    > Hi!
    > Yesterday I started interesting for Linux. I downloaded the first two
    > CDs of the Debian Distribution and read the installation guide. The
    > Lilo setup procedure askes me how many partitions I want to create.
    > I've read the topics about swap partition size and I don't know if I
    > need one because of 512 MB RAM.
    > Can u give me advices?
    > How many partitions do I need and which size sould they have? HD =
    > only for Linux & 2,5 GB. no other HDs connected
    > a new member of the Linux comunity says "thanks for help"
    Not sure what "2,5 GB" means. 2.5? 7?

    Anyways, always have a swap partition. I have 512MB ram and ocassionally
    I get to using a few mb of swap. I would recommend haveing a 512MB swap
    (if not possible try at least 256).

    You are NOT required to have multiple partitions. Typically a /boot is
    used when your bootloader or your hardware won't support booting off of
    large partitions. It is also useful when you have multiple linux distros
    on the same pc. It shouldn't be more than 10-20MB (if needed).
    Also many people have a /home, this is most useful when upgrading or
    switching distros and preserving all of your home data. This should be
    as large as you want. This is where all of your work and prefs will be
    saved.

    --

    Mauriat
    ----------------------------

    Mauriat Guest

  2. #2

    Hello & Welcome,

    imm:discht wrote:
    > Hi!
    > Yesterday I started interesting for Linux. I downloaded the first two
    > CDs of the Debian Distribution and read the installation guide. The
    > Lilo setup procedure askes me how many partitions I want to create.
    > I've read the topics about swap partition size and I don't know if I
    > need one because of 512 MB RAM.
    > Can u give me advices?
    > How many partitions do I need and which size sould they have? HD =
    > only for Linux & 2,5 GB. no other HDs connected
    > a new member of the Linux comunity says "thanks for help"

    Do I read you correctly in that you only have a 2.5 HD capacity, but
    512M RAM? If you have that small an HD, then don't worry about a swap
    partition If you are starting fresh and have no other Os's on your disk
    and wish to only operate the system yourself, no other's included, then
    go for two partitions, root and home.

    You may be starting out in Linux, but if you are running Windoze, then
    see if you can give up some of your drive by an intensive defragging
    session (shut down net connection, all other apps except Explorer &
    something else which I can't remember at this time since I've been away
    from Windoze so long). After that is done, see how much space you have
    on your drive & devote it towards your Linux installation.

    Then let the installer do its work. If you find that you have some
    extra space which you didn't realize, share it between your Windoze &
    Linux. You will need some storage & swap file space on Windoze & then
    you will need some space for storage on Linux.

    Complicated? Yes. My advice is to store your important stuff on
    storage mediums available to you, wipe Windoze off of your HD and
    install Linux, fresh. It will format your HD for you & give you more
    options.

    Sincerely,

    Glenn

    --