Professional Web Applications Themes

linux in local partition?? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, Could I install linux operating system on Logical partition drive instead of primary partition C drive?? I have only on disk in my PC, I am using partition magic to partition a disk from C drive as logical partition. I am new in Linux operating. Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default linux in local partition??

    Hi, Could I install linux operating system on Logical partition drive
    instead of primary partition C drive??
    I have only on disk in my PC, I am using partition magic to partition a
    disk from C drive as logical partition.
    I am new in Linux operating. Thanks in advance.

    cljlk Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: linux in logical partition??

    I meant to say install linux in logical partition. Sorry

    cljlk Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: linux in local partition??

    cljlk wrote:

    .... yes, but more specifically, to a "logical" partition
    (and not "C" drive - this is m$ terminology)
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly.

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks.
    I have IBM A21p laptop with Windows XP, have only one disk C drive
    with 20 G-byte.

    I have partition magic software. Should I install BootMagic after I
    create logical partition for Lunux operating?

    Thanks.

    joseph philip wrote:

    > Yes, you can place linux anywhere you like, but you should be carefull
    > about exactly where you place the kernel and the boot loader. The
    > computer's bios must be able to load the boot loader. The boot loader must
    > be able to locate the kernel and load it. Depending on your computer and
    > the version of the boot loader your linux distribution uses, different
    > limitations will apply.
    >
    > If you could give more information about your computer's hard disk(s) and
    > which distribution you intend to use, better instructions can be provided
    > by the people here.
    >
    > It would be a good idea to provide some information about your computer in
    > general as well, as that would enable others here to identify any
    > usupported components.[/ref]

    cljlk Guest

  5. #5

    Hello

    cljlk (<com>) wrote:

    Linux Distributions have their own boot managers (mostly Lilo or Grub)
    that can boot Linux as well as Windows and are set up during the Linux
    installation, so there is no need to use something else.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    com

  6. #6

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:41:38 -0400, cljlk wrote:

    Your winXP partition is NTFS.

    1. Resize the windows partition ( C:) with Partition magic. Decrease it's
    size so that you have about 4 to 6GB of free space after it.

    2. Make sure your windowsXP system boots and recognizes the decreased C
    drive.

    3. Install linux from some distribution's CD. The installation will
    automatically take care of using that free space you created. It will also
    identify that you have another operating system on your computer and will
    add an entry to the linux boot loader so you can boot both linux and XP.

    Note that the installer will show you what partitions it intends to create
    and what it plans to put where. usually, /usr is the biggest directory.
    /home is where files specific to *you* go such as address book, your mail
    etc.

    And that's it.

    About the boot loader:

    Option 1: install boot loader into MBR ( the Master boot record of the
    hard disk ). This overwrites the code put there by your windows install,
    although that's no big loss since it doesn't prevent you from running xp.

    Option 2: Install boot loader into a floppy. If your laptop can have both
    the cd and floppy attached at the same time, you can use this option.
    Problem is, you need to put in a floppy to boot into linux.

    Option 3: install boot loader into a linux partition ( other than SWAP ).
    This will require you to go change the active partition to the one in
    which you placed the boot loader ( usually the "/" partition ). That's
    accomplished by fdisk, and can be done from the install CD, or from
    partition magic. You NEED to make Partition Magic boot floppies - 2 of
    them.

    joseph Guest

  7. #7

    I stuck here...
    I am installing redhat9.0 right now. And, I stuck at partition step.
    I choose Manually partition with Disk Druid, then press next
    It open a window show:

    Hard Drives
    /dev/hda
    /dev/hda1 ntfs 12056
    /dev/hda2 Extended 7021
    /dev/hda5 ntfs 7021
    I want to put every thing under /dev/hda5, including root /usr /home
    /tmp and swap. It is 7G-byte disk. It should be enough.
    So, I highlight /dev/hda5, and try edit and new button, but failed. I
    got lost here. Please help.

    Thanks a million

    joseph philip wrote:

    > Your winXP partition is NTFS.
    >
    > 1. Resize the windows partition ( C:) with Partition magic. Decrease it's
    > size so that you have about 4 to 6GB of free space after it.
    >
    > 2. Make sure your windowsXP system boots and recognizes the decreased C
    > drive.
    >
    > 3. Install linux from some distribution's CD. The installation will
    > automatically take care of using that free space you created. It will also
    > identify that you have another operating system on your computer and will
    > add an entry to the linux boot loader so you can boot both linux and XP.
    >

    > Note that the installer will show you what partitions it intends to create
    > and what it plans to put where. usually, /usr is the biggest directory.
    > /home is where files specific to *you* go such as address book, your mail
    > etc.
    >
    > And that's it.
    >

    > About the boot loader:
    >
    > Option 1: install boot loader into MBR ( the Master boot record of the
    > hard disk ). This overwrites the code put there by your windows install,
    > although that's no big loss since it doesn't prevent you from running xp.
    >
    > Option 2: Install boot loader into a floppy. If your laptop can have both
    > the cd and floppy attached at the same time, you can use this option.
    > Problem is, you need to put in a floppy to boot into linux.
    >

    > Option 3: install boot loader into a linux partition ( other than SWAP ).
    > This will require you to go change the active partition to the one in
    > which you placed the boot loader ( usually the "/" partition ). That's
    > accomplished by fdisk, and can be done from the install CD, or from
    > partition magic. You NEED to make Partition Magic boot floppies - 2 of
    > them.
    >

    >[/ref]

    cljlk Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:25:24 -0400, cljlk wrote:

    Just guessing here, if hda5 takes up the rest of the extended
    partition you cannot do your install. No if there is free space after
    hda5, you do not pick it, you create the new partitions.

    Bit Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks. But, how do I go from here? should I delete /dev/hda5 and re-do
    it? I don't want to use /dev/hda1, I believe my Windows XP is in
    /dev/hda1. That is why I use partition magic to partition a 7G-byte from
    my C drive. I have only one disk which is 20 G, the free space is 12G,
    thus I partition 7G for Linux. Please advice.

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Just guessing here, if hda5 takes up the rest of the extended
    > partition you cannot do your install. No if there is free space after
    > hda5, you do not pick it, you create the new partitions.
    >[/ref]

    cljlk Guest

  10. #10

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:54:43 -0400, cljlk wrote:

    What you want/need to do is have an "unformated"/"free" part of the disk for
    the install to work. It has been too long for me to remember the
    command to create a partition with RH.

    Ok, no problem.

    I would agree.

    Ok, using Partition Magic, you need to play around until you get a
    partition which is marked unused or free. That is where you will get
    to install linux. I would not use PM to create the linux partitions.
    Let RH do it.

    Been there, done that. If hda5 was the space you planned on using
    for linux then delete it.

    By the way, you may want to consider making a fat32 drive using XP to
    allow you to read/write files to/from XP and leave the rest of the
    disk free for linux install.

    You want swap to be 2x memory to 512meg max.
    Bit Guest

  11. #11

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:25:24 -0400,
    cljlk <com> wrote:
    Tell RH to delete /dev/hda5, and then create the partitions. For
    someone starting out, I'd recommend using a 256-512M swap, and a 2-3G
    /home partition.

    The reason for /home as a partition is allows you to reinstall, if you
    so desire without losing data (No, you shouldn't need to reinstall) or
    you might want to try Mandrake or Debian. Keeping /home on the root
    partition isn't a problem, just inconvenient. In any event search for
    windows and ext2fs and DL a utility that allows you read access to your
    linux partition from windows as you can't safely write to NTFS from
    linux, the name of the utility escapes me at the moment.

    As for swap, while it is possible to use a swap file instead of a
    partition, I'd have to research it. Knoppix has instructions for
    setting it up I believe. I'd settle for the swap partition myself.

    GL

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  12. #12

    I am re-installing RedHat9.0 since I did not set up swap space which
    should be 256Mb. I have 128Mb memmory.
    I highlight:
    /dev/hda5 ex3
    then, I press new buttion, it opens a window "Add Partition"
    I select the mount mount / and enger 1000Mb for /, which is 1G-byte.
    Select the radio box "Fill all spce up to 1000Mb. Press on button "OK"
    A "Error Partitioning" window open immediately say:
    Could not allocate requested partition: Partitioning failed:
    Could not allocate partitions as primary partitions.

    Would anyone please shed a light, I need to set up swap, make partition.

    Thanks.......
    Richard Steiner wrote:

    > Most non-Microsoft operating systems (including Linux, OS/2, and BeOS)
    > can be installed in a logical partition and boot from that partition.
    >
    > The inability to do so is largely limited to DOS or Windows variants
    > and classic Unix variants (e.g., FreeBSD or Solaris).
    >[/ref]

    cljlk Guest

  13. #13

    In article <com>,
    cljlk <com> writes:

    I'd have to try re-installing Red Hat to be sure, but I think what's
    happening is that all your disk space is already allocated to partitions,
    so you can't add a new one. You'll need to delete a partition to make
    room for new partitions. Of course, doing so will delete any files
    currently on those partitions. Alternatively, you could use GNU Parted,
    PartitionMagic, or some such to shrink an existing partition without
    deleting files on it. (I don't believe RH includes any dynamic partition
    resizers in its installation routines, but I could be mistaken about
    that.)

    --
    Rod Smith, com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  14. #14

    Lo and behold, Richard Steiner <com> sayeth: [/ref]
    drive

    > Most non-Microsoft operating systems (including Linux, OS/2, and[/ref]
    BeOS)
    partition.

    Some Windows OSs too such as Windows 2000 or XP.

    Remove COLLECTIVERECTUM to e-mail.

    EvilBill[AGQx] Guest

  15. #15

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 02:07:02 +0100,
    EvilBill[AGQx] <net> wrote:

    > > Most non-Microsoft operating systems (including Linux, OS/2, and
    > > BeOS) can be installed in a logical partition and boot from that
    > > partition.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Some Windows OSs too such as Windows 2000 or XP.[/ref]

    For Dos/Windows You can store the bulk in a logical partition, but you
    still need to boot from a primary partition. In NT/2K/XP: ntldr,
    boot.ini, ntdetect.com are in the root of what was the active primary
    partition when you installed.

    Michael C.

  16. #16

    Lo and behold, Michael C. <com> sayeth:

    >> Some Windows OSs too such as Windows 2000 or XP.[/ref]
    >
    > For Dos/Windows You can store the bulk in a logical partition, but[/ref]
    you
    primary

    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Should know that considering I run
    a dual-boot Win98/Win2K system and a dual-boot Win2K/TopologiLinux
    system. :)

    Remove COLLECTIVERECTUM to e-mail.
    Meow meow.

    EvilBill Guest

  17. #17

    In <bl1g2b$hre$news.rcn.net>, on 09/26/2003
    at 09:48 AM, cljlk <com> said:

    I've never installed Linux on a primary drive, much less on C. The
    only things[1] I've ever put on primary partions are DOS and OS/2 Boot
    Manager. Everything else I put on logical drives in extended logical
    partitions.

    Keep good backups and make sure you have a sector editor; PQ PM is not
    housebroken.

    [1] I don't do windoze.

    Unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action. I reserve
    the right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

    Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me. Do
    not reply to lspace.org

    Shmuel Guest