Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux Install From NT - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Sharninder wrote: > hi, > I have a PC with a fast connection to the net but no floppy disk or a > CDROM drive. This PC has NT 4 server installed. Is there any way i can > install linux on it totally of the network. Loadlin based solutions > don't work because i only have NT on the machine. There are ways to install an entire OS from a network site as a system image, but I don't think you're ready to go there. Can you open the box and temporarily attach a CD or floppy drive?...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Linux Install From NT

    Sharninder wrote:
    > hi,
    > I have a PC with a fast connection to the net but no floppy disk or a
    > CDROM drive. This PC has NT 4 server installed. Is there any way i can
    > install linux on it totally of the network. Loadlin based solutions
    > don't work because i only have NT on the machine.
    There are ways to install an entire OS from a network site as a system
    image, but I don't think you're ready to go there. Can you open the box
    and temporarily attach a CD or floppy drive?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  2. #2

    Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote in message news:<OZBKa.2384$3b.494nwrdny03.gnilink.net>...

    > There are ways to install an entire OS from a network site as a system
    > image, but I don't think you're ready to go there. Can you open the box
    > and temporarily attach a CD or floppy drive?
    no, i cannot. If i were able to do that i would have just booted from
    a linux disk and installed the rest of the OS from the network. but i
    want to install totally from the network and i'm using Windows NT. Had
    it been Windows 9x, i would have used loadlin and installed Linux.

    regards
    Sharninder Guest

  3. #3

    [email]sharnindermailmetoday.com[/email] (Sharninder) wrote in message news:<33b0a49.0306262033.7f736918posting.google.c om>...
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote in message news:<OZBKa.2384$3b.494nwrdny03.gnilink.net>...
    > >
    > > There are ways to install an entire OS from a network site as a system
    > > image, but I don't think you're ready to go there. Can you open the box
    > > and temporarily attach a CD or floppy drive?
    >
    > no, i cannot. If i were able to do that i would have just booted from
    > a linux disk and installed the rest of the OS from the network. but i
    > want to install totally from the network and i'm using Windows NT. Had
    > it been Windows 9x, i would have used loadlin and installed Linux.
    is there any other solution to my problem. please i'm really desperate here !!
    Sharninder Guest

  4. #4

    > >>no, i cannot. If i were able to do that i would have just booted from
    > >>a linux disk and installed the rest of the OS from the network. but i
    > >>want to install totally from the network and i'm using Windows NT. Had
    > >>it been Windows 9x, i would have used loadlin and installed Linux.
    > >

    > > is there any other solution to my problem. please i'm really desperate here !!
    >
    > You still haven't said what distro and what the box is. Can it boot from
    > a USB device? And I'm still not clear on why you can't open it up?
    no ..the PC does'nt have a USB port and i can't open it because its in
    my office. i would like to install debian on it, but for the time
    being any distro would do. once one distro. is installed ... i can
    install debian from there.
    the problem is that the IS dept. refuses to install a floppy or CDrom
    on this machine and i absolutely must have linux on it.
    any solutions...
    Sharninder Guest

  5. #5

    > Sounds like the machine is locked down, and you are trying to defeat
    > their security measures. This equipment does not belong to you, and
    > this is recipe for not continuing to work for your present employer.

    well, not exactly , i only need to tell my project leader about it and
    he'll give me the permission ... but i wanted to see if this can be
    done. even though i still believe what i'm trying to do is feasible ..
    but due to lack of pointers i'll have to concede to the IS dept. now
    ... :(
    Sharninder Guest