Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux installation problems causes inability to boot from cd? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

The System Specs: CPU: AMD K6 450mhz CDROM DRIVE: Asus 52x RAM: 384MBs HD: 2GB WD ?Caviar? Motherboard: Unknown with built in sound, lan connections. Bios: AMIBIOS 1996 Hello, I am a new user to linux and am trying to install Red Hat 9 on a test computer. However I have been having difficulties. When I try to install Red Hat using the graphical installation method the process goes well up until I get to a point in the actual file installation. It's not a specific point each time, it changes at each attempt. But it happens during the file ...

  1. #1

    Default Linux installation problems causes inability to boot from cd?

    The System Specs:
    CPU: AMD K6 450mhz
    CDROM DRIVE: Asus 52x
    RAM: 384MBs
    HD: 2GB WD ?Caviar?
    Motherboard: Unknown with built in sound, lan connections.
    Bios: AMIBIOS 1996

    Hello,

    I am a new user to linux and am trying to install Red Hat 9 on a test
    computer. However I have been having difficulties. When I try to
    install Red Hat using the graphical installation method the process
    goes well up until I get to a point in the actual file installation.
    It's not a specific point each time, it changes at each attempt. But
    it happens during the file installation portion.

    For instance. One time I left to computer alone for several hours and
    when I returned it said to put in disc 2. I did this but it said it
    was unable to mount CDROM. No matter what disc I put in it gave me the
    same message. The CD does work because I've used it before to install
    linux. I restarted the computer and started to install again, this
    time it froze while trying to copy one of the many packages. I gave it
    several minutes to make sure it was just working on something, but I
    finally took the cd so I could see if it would "wake up" and come
    looking for the cd. Just gave an error message, can't remember what,
    and I had to restart again.

    At this point it restarted, but booted into the grub boot loader. I
    figured fine, I'll just restart the computer and boot from the CD to
    start the install process again. I was planning on choosing to install
    minimal package options this time in the hopes that I could finish the
    install. Now however, the computer won't even boot from the cd. In
    fact when I use my Win98 boot diskette and choose to boot with cd
    drive support I can't access the cd-rom drive.

    So I say ALL of that, to ask this. Could my cd drive be damaged or
    some portion of the bios overwritten? Does anyone have any idea what's
    going on with this system? Thanks for reading all of this and for any
    help you can give.

    -Tremor
    bzunderscoretremorathotmale.com
    Tremor Guest

  2. #2

    1. your hardware can fail when you put it under the stress of installing
    linux
    eg the power cable, hard drive cable to the cdrom

    2. 'sudden infant death syndrome' applies to new electronics... its common
    enough that electronics items die shortly after being used for a while.

    3. LG drives did have a problem where they scramble their firmware when
    linux talks to them.... so your idea of linux scrambling things isnt
    impossible.
    But it has only happened with the LG drives, not with asus drives and even
    if it did happen, its the fault of the drive and not of linux.

    "Tremor" <com> wrote in message

    Leon. Guest

  3. #3

    On 25 Dec 2003 23:13:10 -0800,
    Tremor <com> wrote:
    For your type of system you should install Redhat 7.x or
    8.0. 9.0 requires about 750 MHz or more of power to
    operate properly. I run RH8 on a K6 475 Mhz w/ gigabyte MB
    and I had installation problems also. I used the 'linux text'
    installation to install the bare minumims then. I simply
    used the RH package manager to install what I needed later on.

    Your CD-ROM drive could have failed, but Linux or the installation software
    would not have caused it. You can pick up a CD-RW for about $50.

    Look under the windows control panel and see what
    type of video and IDE interface you have? If you have a SiS
    then some versions are not compatible. Also check to see if you
    have a gigabyte motherboard. Check the RH compatibility list
    and downgrade to 7.x or 8.0.
    In Windows remove the CD-ROM from the control panel system and then
    reboot to have windows reinstall the CD-ROM that will tell you if you
    really do have a CD-ROM problem. Or you can boot using the windows boot
    disk selecting CD-ROM support and the boot program will tell you if the
    device has failed.

    --
    Best Regards, Keith
    NW Oregon Radio http://kilowatt-radio.com/

  4. #4

    First, thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.

    I am interested in your first idea. Is it really true that hardware
    can fail because of the installation process? I have installed linux
    using a newer computer I have which has more processing power. Those
    installs seem to go fine. Or maybe the power supply of my older system
    is coming into play?

    The hardware I'm trying to install on is almost all old components.
    Except for the CDROM drive. However last night I switched out the
    drive for another one that's much older. This drive seemed to be
    performing perfectly, then it too froze twice during the file
    installation.

    The strange thing is, I know the CD media is fine because I've
    installed Red Hat 9 using the "text" option on this very same computer
    a few days ago using the same Asus cdrom drive. Maybe it really is the
    graphical install.

    I'll have to watch out for any LG drives I may have. I do remember
    hearing about such cases.

    -Tremor

    Tremor Guest

  5. #5

    "Tremor" <com> wrote in message

    Then try a text-only installation. Also, during the installation, after a
    certain stage you can hit "Alt-F1", "Alt-F2", etc. to ge the different
    virtual screens to see what the hell is going on. In particular, the
    "Alt-F2" is useful to get you a command prompt and run things like "ps" to
    see details of what is happening.

    Nico Guest

  6. #6

    If your win98 boot floppy (which I assume to be working) is not able to
    detect your cdrom...it has either failed or may possibly have a loose
    cable. That could explain why you had trouble with your linux
    installation. It is not too likely that the cdrom would have been
    damaged by the attempt...it probably just plain failed...
    but check all the cables first.

    philo Guest

  7. #7

    I will try the text only install again I suppose. The command line is
    really the heart of linux anyway. Still, I'd like to know why I am
    unable to complete a graphical install on this machine. Really
    puzzling.

    I appreciate the help. Thanks for the shortcuts. I'll be sure to use
    them.

    -Tremor

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <net> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > Then try a text-only installation. Also, during the installation, after a
    > certain stage you can hit "Alt-F1", "Alt-F2", etc. to ge the different
    > virtual screens to see what the hell is going on. In particular, the
    > "Alt-F2" is useful to get you a command prompt and run things like "ps" to
    > see details of what is happening.[/ref]
    Tremor Guest

  8. #8

    Comments below...

    philo <net> wrote in message news:<supernews.com>...

    Yes the boot floppy is working. I switches out the current cd drive
    with another and I am able to boot from cds again. However, you bring
    up an interesting point. Maybe the cable was loose! That would explain
    why I was unable to connect to the Asus drive but can now connect to
    another CDROM drive. However, with this different cd drive I am still
    unable to complete the install. Same problems as before.

    You never think cables will go bad. But sometimes they do. Gotta learn
    to take in all possibilities with computers.

    -Tremor
    Tremor Guest