Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux Internal Modem - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I just found a site that sells Linux internal modems. Check them out at [url]www.camnix.com[/url] The page is crappy but the modem works....

  1. #1

    Default Linux Internal Modem

    I just found a site that sells Linux internal modems.
    Check them out at [url]www.camnix.com[/url]
    The page is crappy but the modem works.
    Deton8tor Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Linux Internal Modem

    Alan Connor wrote:
    > On 14 Aug 2003 15:53:20 -0700, Deton8tor <cmomohglue.umd.edu> wrote:
    >

    >>I just found a site that sells Linux internal modems.
    >>The page is crappy but the modem works.
    >

    > There's no such thing as a "Linux internal modem".
    >

    > I just installed Debian on an old compaq with an "internal" modem.
    >
    > They are just like external modems but are on a PCI or other card, and have
    > been around and usable by Linux for years and years.
    Umm. The page may have referred to a "Winmodem", which are their own
    adventure. A bunch of the old modem behavior is taken up by the CPU
    instead on those, and thus appropriate drivers are needed. They're
    cheaper than the standard old internal modems, and the vendors
    originally released drivers only for Windows. It took some time for the
    Linux weasels to reverse engineer the stupid spec-violating pieces of
    cheap poor quality badly soldered !#$, but in most cases there are
    now good Linux drivers for them.
    > Not only are you a spammer, but you are ignorant as hell.
    >
    > No one in their right mind would buy any computer components from you.
    It was a pretty stupid page and ad.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  3. #3

    I found a website that sells Linux internal modems.
    Its [url]www.camnix.com[/url]
    I've waited so long for such a modem. I think the next phase is how to
    make every winmodem compartible with Linux.
    How do I autodial my dialup when I open netscape in Linux as in
    Windows?
    Deton8tor Guest

  4. #4

    Deton8tor wrote:
    > How do I autodial my dialup when I open netscape in Linux as in
    > Windows?
    Configure pppd for dial on demand. Your distro probably has a nice config
    tool that will let you do that, possible pppconfig.

    --
    David Dorward [url]http://dorward.me.uk/[/url]
    David Dorward Guest

  5. #5

    Deton8tor <cmomohglue.umd.edu> wrote:
    > I found a website that sells Linux internal modems.
    Is that somehow unusual? Apart form the phraseology, that is. What's a
    linux modem? ANY modem (i.e. with a uart and controller) is supported
    by linux, by definition. Just winmodems aren't, because they aren't
    modems in the standard sense. They're incomplete, lacking controller or
    uart or tone generator or something.
    > I've waited so long for such a modem. I think the next phase is how to
    Such (nternal) modems have always been around. Virtually any ISA internal,
    for example. PCI modems are fewer, but certainly available.
    > make every winmodem compartible with Linux.
    The answer is "don't use one".
    > How do I autodial my dialup when I open netscape in Linux as in
    > Windows?
    Eh? I presume you want to use a diald.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  6. #6

    In article <7qtohb.vjq.lnnews.it.uc3m.es>,
    Peter T. Breuer <ptboboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
    | Deton8tor <cmomohglue.umd.edu> wrote:
    | > I found a website that sells Linux internal modems.

    | > How do I autodial my dialup when I open netscape in Linux as in
    | > Windows?
    |
    | Eh? I presume you want to use a diald.

    Probably not, pppd supports dial on demand, and having the capability
    all in one place is both more reliable and easier to configure (in most
    cases). Unless something complex is being done, it's a trivial setup.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsentmr.com> CTO, TMR Associates
    this we should do freely and generously.