Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux on TravelMate - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all! Ive recently purchased an Acer TravelMate 242 laptop. Ive tried to install some distros: gentoo, redhat, mandrake, debian, but every of them gets freezed during the "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel." message. The only distro that boots is Suse 8.1 Does any one know is its necessary to pass any special argument to the kernel in order to make installation process work? Thanks a lot....

  1. #1

    Default Linux on TravelMate

    Hi all!

    Ive recently purchased an Acer TravelMate 242 laptop.

    Ive tried to install some distros: gentoo, redhat, mandrake, debian, but
    every of them gets freezed during the "Uncompressing Linux... Ok,
    booting the kernel." message.

    The only distro that boots is Suse 8.1

    Does any one know is its necessary to pass any special argument to the
    kernel in order to make installation process work?

    Thanks a lot.

    Fernando Alvarez-Uria Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Linux on TravelMate

    Fernando Alvarez-Uria wrote:
    > Ive recently purchased an Acer TravelMate 242 laptop.
    [url]http://www.linux-laptop.net/[/url]
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    Brook's Law: Adding manpower to a late software project
    makes it later

    mjt Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry, i forgot to say that ive already looked at linux-laptop and
    tuxmobil, but unfortunately there is no information related to this laptop.

    Thanks

  4. #4

    Fernando Alvarez-Uria wrote:

    Hi,

    My girlfriend bought one, too. I can boot up SuSE 8.2, but Knoppix fails. I
    am wondering why, too.

    Greets,
    Christof

    --
    ---
    Ch. Bodner

  5. #5

    Yeah, I bought one too and I can't get the Mandrake 9.1 CD's to boot
    properly, same problem. It gets as far as "Ok, booting the kernel" then
    gets stuck. The install CD will boot with the 2.2 kernel included, but
    that's about all. I've got a gentoo CD and a Debian CD that both boot,
    but I'm not enough of a techie to figure out how to get Mandrake going.
    I'd also appreciate any help.

    Sean.

    Sean Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:17:37 -0600, Fernando Alvarez-Uria wrote:

    Caveat: I do not have a TravelMate 242.

    General help:
    1. Make sure to apply any BIOS updates before beginning. Most likely
    this is a hard disc controller issue.
    2. The fact that a recent distribution (Suse 8.1) will boot is a good
    sign that other distro's will work.

    --Douglas Mayne
    Douglas Guest

  7. #7

    Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > Caveat: I do not have a TravelMate 242.
    >
    > General help:
    > 1. Make sure to apply any BIOS updates before beginning. Most likely
    > this is a hard disc controller issue.
    > 2. The fact that a recent distribution (Suse 8.1) will boot is a good
    > sign that other distro's will work.
    >
    > --Douglas Mayne[/ref]

    Have checked around, and there are no bios updates as yet. I downloaded
    one of the mandrake 9.2 boot floppy images to try and see if that would
    work, still no luck. Surely if older versions of other distros
    (specifically Lindows, Debian and Gentoo) will boot then there should be
    no problem? Mandrake is the only one my girlfriend and I are really
    comfortable with, so changing distros is not really an option. Any
    ideas on what Mandrake might have done to stop their kernels frtom working?

    btw the MDK 2.2 kernels included on the CD still work, but after the
    install the machines boots with the same problem.

    Thanks

    Sean.

    Sean Guest

  8. #8

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:00:01 +1000, Sean Cohen wrote:

    >> Caveat: I do not have a TravelMate 242.
    >>
    >> General help:
    >> 1. Make sure to apply any BIOS updates before beginning. Most likely
    >> this is a hard disc controller issue.
    >> 2. The fact that a recent distribution (Suse 8.1) will boot is a good
    >> sign that other distro's will work.
    >>
    >> --Douglas Mayne[/ref]
    >
    > Have checked around, and there are no bios updates as yet. I downloaded
    > one of the mandrake 9.2 boot floppy images to try and see if that would
    > work, still no luck. Surely if older versions of other distros
    > (specifically Lindows, Debian and Gentoo) will boot then there should be
    > no problem? Mandrake is the only one my girlfriend and I are really
    > comfortable with, so changing distros is not really an option. Any
    > ideas on what Mandrake might have done to stop their kernels frtom working?
    >
    > btw the MDK 2.2 kernels included on the CD still work, but after the
    > install the machines boots with the same problem.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Sean.
    >[/ref]
    There is a BIOS update, but whether it addresses this problem is another
    story. I think this is the link to BIOS 1.09:

    http://www.acersupport.com/library/ti_note/tm240250109.exe

    Also, as a shot in the dark, pull all PCMCIA cards, and go into BIOS
    setup and disable non-essential devices and see if that has any effect.
    Disable the internal network card and power management, for example.

    --Douglas Mayne
    Douglas Guest

  9. #9

     [/ref][/ref]

    Note that it's *usually* a very good idea. However, a very few antique
    and no longer well-supported machines are very picky about BIOS updates
    and Linux compatibility. Updating a 300-MHz IBM Thinkpad, for example,
    required a BIOS that was somewhat less than the most recent but had been
    provided specifically for Linux.

    Nico Guest

  10. #10

    Yep, found v1.12 on the Acer Thailand (where I bought the machine) site.
    installed it, but no change.

    Any more ideas?

    Sean.

    Douglas Mayne wrote:

    >>Have checked around, and there are no bios updates as yet. I downloaded
    >>one of the mandrake 9.2 boot floppy images to try and see if that would
    >>work, still no luck. Surely if older versions of other distros
    >>(specifically Lindows, Debian and Gentoo) will boot then there should be
    >>no problem? Mandrake is the only one my girlfriend and I are really
    >>comfortable with, so changing distros is not really an option. Any
    >>ideas on what Mandrake might have done to stop their kernels frtom working?
    >>
    >>btw the MDK 2.2 kernels included on the CD still work, but after the
    >>install the machines boots with the same problem.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Sean.
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > There is a BIOS update, but whether it addresses this problem is another
    > story. I think this is the link to BIOS 1.09:
    >
    > http://www.acersupport.com/library/ti_note/tm240250109.exe
    >
    > Also, as a shot in the dark, pull all PCMCIA cards, and go into BIOS
    > setup and disable non-essential devices and see if that has any effect.
    > Disable the internal network card and power management, for example.
    >
    > --Douglas Mayne[/ref]

    Sean Guest

  11. #11

    Douglas Mayne <localnet> wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    Well, use suse's kernel then, and install whichever distro you like with
    it. Find out afterwards what was so special about their boot params.
    I imagine you wanted to turn off local apic, or acpi, or something like
    that. Tell us about the hardware.

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  12. #12

    Peter T. Breuer wrote: [/ref]

    > Well, use suse's kernel then, and install whichever distro you like with
    > it. Find out afterwards what was so special about their boot params.
    > I imagine you wanted to turn off local apic, or acpi, or something like
    > that. Tell us about the hardware.
    >
    > Peter[/ref]

    The hardware is a factory-standard Acer Travelmate 242fxc, with no
    upgrades or peripherals. The kernel on the Lindows LiveCD boots fine,
    can anyone tell me how I go about putting that one on my machine? I
    don't know much about that sort of stuff.

    Sean Guest

  13. #13

    Sean Cohen <net> wrote:

    > > Well, use suse's kernel then, and install whichever distro you like with
    > > it. Find out afterwards what was so special about their boot params.
    > > I imagine you wanted to turn off local apic, or acpi, or something like
    > > that. Tell us about the hardware.[/ref]
    >
    > The hardware is a factory-standard Acer Travelmate 242fxc, with no
    > upgrades or peripherals. The kernel on the Lindows LiveCD boots fine,
    > can anyone tell me how I go about putting that one on my machine? I[/ref]

    That what? Kernel or LiveCD?

    For the kernel - copy it and its modules to your disk. Then point your
    bootloader (whatever it is) at it. But use SuSE. SuSE is designed to
    work off a hard disk.

    For the LiveCD - there will be instructions on how to modify it for
    working off a hard disk. But don't you want to install Lindows disk
    edition instead? Then you can change to debian sources list and switch
    to standard debian painlessly.

    What sort of stuff?

    Peter
    Peter Guest