Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux Partition for Oracle - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Dear Friends, I have recently bought a 20 GB HDD and made it as a slave for my existing windows 2000 box. I wanna have a dual booting system together with windows and then I wanna install oracle on linux. For this what are the partitions I have to make and the sizes of the partition. I am having a list. Can you please advise me with the sizes. / swap /boot /usr /var /home /tmp /etc /bin Do I need all the about said partitions? If so, please let me know the sizes. In which partition I have to ...

  1. #1

    Default Linux Partition for Oracle

    /
    swap
    /boot
    /usr
    /var
    /home
    /tmp
    /etc
    /bin

    Do I need all the about said partitions? If so, please let me know the
    sizes.

    In which partition I have to install oracle.

    Thanks for reading this.

    Regards
    Kumar
    kumar Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Linux Partition for Oracle

    On 31 Jul 2003 03:44:04 -0700, kumar wrote:
    > Dear Friends,
    >
    > I have recently bought a 20 GB HDD and made it as a slave for my
    > existing windows 2000 box. I wanna have a dual booting system together
    > with windows and then I wanna install oracle on linux.
    >
    > For this what are the partitions I have to make and the sizes of the
    > partition. I am having a list. Can you please advise me with the
    > sizes.
    >
    > /
    > swap
    > /boot
    > /usr
    > /var
    > /home
    > /tmp
    > /etc
    > /bin
    >
    > Do I need all the about said partitions? If so, please let me know the
    > sizes.
    >
    > In which partition I have to install oracle.
    Depends on what "Oracle" you are going to install.

    You realy need to get the installation docs to know what you need.
    The docs even give the suggested name of the partions to use.

    Bit Twister Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bgatil$msc4d$2ID-18487.news.uni-berlin.de>, Davide Bianchi wrote:
    > kumar <sgnerd.sg> wrote:
    >> partition. I am having a list. Can you please advise me with the
    >> sizes.
    >
    > See [url]http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Partition[/url]
    >
    >> In which partition I have to install oracle.
    >
    > Wherever you want. It depends how big the database will be.

    I'd say skip the /bin partition... but read the doentation.

    --
    Luke StClair
    [email]run_fasterhotmail.com[/email]

  4. #4

    kumar wrote:
    > Dear Friends,
    >
    > I have recently bought a 20 GB HDD and made it as a slave for my
    > existing windows 2000 box. I wanna have a dual booting system together
    > with windows and then I wanna install oracle on linux.
    >
    > For this what are the partitions I have to make and the sizes of the
    > partition. I am having a list. Can you please advise me with the
    > sizes.
    >
    > /
    > swap
    > /boot
    > /usr
    > /var
    > /home
    > /tmp
    > /etc
    > /bin
    >
    > Do I need all the about said partitions? If so, please let me know the
    > sizes.
    No, you don't. Most installations devand a swap partition, and / is
    absolutely necessary. All other partitions are for separating
    directories off of root and limiting their size, allowing them to have
    special characteristics to run unusual services, or just allowing you
    not to touch those directories when doing OS upgrades or replacing disks
    and partitions.

    If you have an old computer with an old BIOS and an old OS, you may need
    /boot's partition to reside on a partition that is entirely before the
    1024th cylinder. But otherwise, don't bother to make more partitiions
    than you have other compelling needs for.
    > In which partition I have to install oracle.
    "It depends". I believe recent Oracle releases go in "/opt".

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you very much for all your advises.
    kumar Guest

  6. #6

    "kumar" <sgnerd.sg> wrote in message
    news:d13fd832.0307312327.3a17fe66posting.google.c om...
    > Thank you very much for all your advises.
    If your a DBA or want to be a DBA (ie, playing around with Oracle on Linux
    for some hands on experience) then follow oracle's OFA guidelines.
    Personally, unless I have ton's of disk space I don't bother with alot of
    partitions. I have a /, /boot, /home (/u01 if your go with Oracle's
    recommendations) and /usr. I think thats it. I don't go too crazy with it
    because I always end up running out of space somewhere I need it.

    Good luck. (Also, Redhat 9 isn't supported by Oracle, so unless your
    prepared to do a lot of hacking/debugging i'd suggest using an earlier
    version. If I recall correctly 8.0 works fine, while 9.0 doesn't.)

    Dave

    Dave Best Guest