Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux Set Up Disk Won't Boot - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am working on a 266MHZ Pent II with 128MB RAM and a 4 GB HD. I freshly Partitioned and formatted the HD with a Win 98 boot disk. I down loaded Debian to take a look at it. I burned ISOs from the download. I changed the BIOS to boot from CDROM and successfully booted the 1st Debian disk and went through the partitioning and started the installation. Then I got an error message that something failed. I didn't pay too much attention to the actual message, figuring I would start again from scratch. When I went to reboot, ...

  1. #1

    Default Linux Set Up Disk Won't Boot

    I am working on a 266MHZ Pent II with 128MB RAM and a 4 GB HD. I freshly
    Partitioned and formatted the HD with a Win 98 boot disk. I down loaded
    Debian to take a look at it. I burned ISOs from the download. I changed
    the BIOS to boot from CDROM and successfully booted the 1st Debian disk and
    went through the partitioning and started the installation. Then I got an
    error message that something failed. I didn't pay too much attention to the
    actual message, figuring I would start again from scratch.

    When I went to reboot, it puzzled over the CDROM for a bit (light on) and
    then gave me a C:>. After a couple of repeats, I wiped the HD with
    KillDisk, and with the W98 boot disk once again partitioned and formatted.
    Still it will not recognize the Debian starter disk or a RedHat starter
    disk. It does recognize a Win installation CD if I load the boot disk and
    put in the Win disk and type A:/Setup (so the CDROM is OK and I could have
    installed Windows). I put the Debian disk in another W98 computer and it
    loaded and gave the Debian start up screen, so the Debian disk is still OK.

    What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance

    --
    Larry Clemens
    Minneapolis, MN

    Lawrence Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Linux Set Up Disk Won't Boot

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:59:23 GMT, Lawrence Clemens wrote:

    --------------- standard iso problem include follows ---------
    Some or all may apply to you.

    Always compare the md5sum on a iso download with the site's copy
    before burning to verify you had a good download. There should have
    been a md5sum file in the same directory as the iso.

    md5sum --check md5sum_file_name_here
    or
    md5sum iso_name_here
    and compare the output of md5sum with the content's of the
    md5sum file.

    Micro$oft users could look here, in no particular order
    http://www.toast442.org/md5gui.shtml.
    http://www.md5summer.org or
    http://etree.org/md5com.html or
    http://www.google.com/search?q=md5sum%20dos

    ************************************************** *******************
    From: "Don Rieck" <com>
    Googling around today I found a post somewhere that suggested that some
    combinations of ABIT mobos and Creative CDRW's could cause problems in
    some situations. Sure enough - I disabled DMA on the CDRW's IDE channel,
    and successfully burned all three disks, at speeds of 1x, 4x, and 8x (kept
    notching it up, and it worked without a hitch).
    ************************************************** *******************

    Old burners have been known to have problems burning
    re-writables (CD-RW) hope you are using quality CD-Rs.
    You may have to use the 700 MB\80 Minute instead of 650 MB media.
    Old burners/software may have problems burning the 700+ iso images.

    Old cd readers may have problems reading the 700+ cds.

    Be sure that the you set your burner to what the blank
    cd write rating. Some people have problems burning CD-RWs below 3x.
    Verify your cd burner can burn a 700mb cd.
    You might want to check http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    for your burner.

    Verify bios has boot from cdrom first in the boot order.
    Be sure bios has Plug and Play OS=no/off/false and
    Resources Allocation : Manual, if you cannot get AUTO to work.
    Disk drives are strapped Master/Slave not Cable select.

    Lots of people do not pick the correct options on their burning
    software and end up with an image file on the cd instead of the cd
    being an image of the file on the harddrive.

    http://www.e-smith.org/docs/howto/CD_burning_howto.php3
    http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html
    http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-windows

    When you look on the burnt cd, the FIRST thing you should see are
    the directories and files.
    Mandrake example: names with / on the end are directories

    autorun.inf dosutils/ INSTALL.txt Mandrake/ tutorial/
    Boot/ images/ LICENSE-APPS.txt misc/ VERSION
    COPYING index.htm LICENSE.txt README.txt
    doc/ install.htm live_update* RPM-GPG-KEYS

    http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
    under CheapBytes CDs (top left)
    contains linux x86 Install cds for ~2 each and up + shipping

    For people accross the pond, http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk
    and for down under fokes
    http://www.lankum.com

    Please read

    Bit Guest

  3. #3

    No I did not check midsum. I burned the iso on a new burner in a new
    machine. As I initially stated: the Debian disk booted the first time
    thorough and still boots on another win98 machine. It no longer boot on the
    original machine(although a Win disk is recognized), nor does a RedHat 9
    setup disk. Please read the original post. TIA
    "Bit Twister" <localdomain> wrote in message
    news:home... [/ref]
    freshly [/ref]
    changed [/ref]
    and

> [...]
    > Disk drives are strapped Master/Slave not Cable select.
    >
    > Lots of people do not pick the correct options on their burning
    > software and end up with an image file on the cd instead of the cd
    > being an image of the file on the harddrive.
    >
    > http://www.e-smith.org/docs/howto/CD_burning_howto.php3
    > http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html
    > http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-windows
    >
    > When you look on the burnt cd, the FIRST thing you should see are
    > the directories and files.
    > Mandrake example: names with / on the end are directories
    >
    > autorun.inf dosutils/ INSTALL.txt Mandrake/ tutorial/
    > Boot/ images/ LICENSE-APPS.txt misc/ VERSION
    > COPYING index.htm LICENSE.txt README.txt
    > doc/ install.htm live_update* RPM-GPG-KEYS
    >

    > http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
    > under CheapBytes CDs (top left)
    > contains linux x86 Install cds for ~2 each and up + shipping

    Lawrence Guest

  4. #4

    "Lawrence Clemens" wrote
    You're doing everything I'd do, except about now I'd recheck cmos bios
    setup screen settings, {maybe borrow an 8 year-old to point out my errors,}
    tear down the machine and doublecheck jumpering and cabling; windows
    may be more tolerent of marginal hardware than linux -- they can afford to
    make it slow and paranoid and it's a dead cert a lot of win users will have
    old fluky gear. And you may have omitted mentioning it if you did part of that
    testing with components out of the case; if so, put 'em back where they worked,
    dangling versus bolted-in.
    Your symptoms are _soooo_ strange you might consider trading out cd/hd berg
    jumpers and any cables and even the cdrom drive if you can borrow substitutes
    long enough to test with them. But first get a good strong flashlight and see if any
    cables look slightly loose, like half unplugged. Even that's improbable, except for
    the floppy ribbon cable, and that doesn't seem indicated.

    Frank Guest