Professional Web Applications Themes

Linux Users $699 License Fee is Now Due and Enforceable - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

SCO Announces Intellectual Property License for Linux 8/5/2003 12:43:00 PM LINDON, Utah, Aug 5, 2003 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- The SCO Group, Inc. (SCOX) , the owner and licensor of the core UNIX(R) operating system source code, today announced the availability of the SCO Intellectual Property License for Linux(R). The run-time license permits the use of SCO's intellectual property, in binary form only, as contained in Linux distributions. By purchasing a SCO Intellectual Property License, customers avoid infringement of SCO's intellectual property rights in Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.5 kernels. Because the SCO license authorizes run-time use only, customers also ...

  1. #1

    Default Linux Users $699 License Fee is Now Due and Enforceable

    SCO Announces Intellectual Property License for Linux
    8/5/2003 12:43:00 PM

    LINDON, Utah, Aug 5, 2003 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- The SCO
    Group, Inc. (SCOX) , the owner and licensor of the core UNIX(R) operating
    system source code, today announced the availability of the SCO
    Intellectual Property License for Linux(R). The run-time license permits
    the use of SCO's intellectual property, in binary form only, as contained
    in Linux distributions. By purchasing a SCO Intellectual Property License,
    customers avoid infringement of SCO's intellectual property rights in
    Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.5 kernels. Because the SCO license authorizes
    run-time use only, customers also comply with the General Public License,
    under which Linux is distributed.

    (Logo: [url]http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19990421/SCOLOGO[/url] )

    SCO announced in July that it had registered the copyrights to its
    software releases of UNIX System V and UnixWare(R) with the U.S. Copyright
    office and that it would offer licenses to cure the SCO IP infringement
    issues for Linux operating systems. Beginning this week, SCO will start
    meeting with commercial Linux customers to present the details of this
    right to use SCO intellectual property binary licensing program.

    "We have identified numerous files of unlicensed UNIX System V code and
    UNIX System V derivative code in the Linux 2.4 and 2.5 kernels," said
    Chris Sontag, senior vice president and general manager of SCOsource, the
    intellectual property licensing division of SCO. "We believe it is
    necessary for Linux customers to properly license SCO's IP if they are
    running Linux 2.4 kernel and later versions for commercial purposes. The
    license insures that customers can continue their use of binary
    deployments of Linux without violating SCO's intellectual property
    rights."

    Pricing and Availability

    SCO will be offering an introductory license price of $699 for a single
    CPU system through October 15th, 2003. Pricing for multiple CPU systems,
    single CPU add-ons, desktop systems and embedded systems will also be
    available. Linux users who are interested in additional information or
    purchasing an IP License for Linux should contact their local SCO sales
    representative or call SCO at 1-800-726-8649 or visit our web site at
    [url]http://www.sco.com/scosource[/url] .

    About The SCO Group

    The SCO Group (SCOX) helps millions of customers in more than 82 countries
    to grow their businesses with UNIX business solutions. Headquartered in
    Lindon, Utah, SCO has a worldwide network of more than 11,000 resellers
    and 4,000 developers. SCO Global Services provides reliable localized
    support and services to all partners and customers. For more information
    on SCO products and services visit [url]http://www.sco.com[/url] .

    SCO and the associated SCO logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of
    The SCO Group, Inc., in the U.S. and other countries. UNIX and UnixWare
    are registered trademarks of The Open Group in the United States and other
    countries. All other brand or product names are or may be trademarks of,
    and are used to identify products or services of, their respective owners.

    SOURCE The SCO Group

    Blake Stowell of The SCO Group, +1-801-932-5703,
    [email]bstowellsco.com[/email] ; or Dave Close, Avi Dines, or Brian Willinsky, all of
    Schwartz Communications, +1-781-684-0770, [email]scoschwartz-pr.com[/email] , for The SCO
    Group
    /Photo: NewsCom: [url]http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19990421/SCOLOGO[/url]
    AP Archive: [url]http://photoarchive.ap.org[/url]
    PRN Photo Desk, +1-888-776-6555 or +1-212-782-2840

    [url]http://www.sco.com/scosource[/url]
    Santa Cruz Operation Legal Dept. Guest

  2. #2

    Santa Cruz Operation Legal Dept. wrote:

    > SCO Announces Intellectual Property License for Linux
    > 8/5/2003 12:43:00 PM

    [SNIP]

    Go up a rope!

    Baho Utot Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Baho Utot Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:20:31 +0000, wrote:
    > SCO Announces Intellectual Property License for Linux
    > 8/5/2003 12:43:00 PM
    >
    > LINDON, Utah, Aug 5, 2003 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- The SCO
    > Group, Inc. (SCOX) , the owner and licensor of the core UNIX(R) operating
    > system source code, today announced the availability of the SCO
    > Intellectual Property License for Linux(R). The run-time license permits
    > the use of SCO's intellectual property, in binary form only, as contained
    > in Linux distributions. By purchasing a SCO Intellectual Property License,
    > customers avoid infringement of SCO's intellectual property rights in
    > Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.5 kernels. Because the SCO license authorizes
    > run-time use only, customers also comply with the General Public License,
    > under which Linux is distributed.
    See [url]http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_rhletter2.html[/url] for Red Hat's
    response to this situation.

    wesley Guest

  6. #6

    Default Linux Users $699 License Fee is Now Due and Enforceable -- NOT!!

    Santa wrote:
    > LINDON, Utah, Aug 5, 2003 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- The SCO
    > Group, Inc. (SCOX) , the owner and licensor of the core UNIX(R) operating
    > system source code, today announced the availability of the SCO
    > Intellectual Property License for Linux(R). The run-time license permits
    > the use of SCO's intellectual property, in binary form only, as contained
    > in Linux distributions.
    This is on the face of it illegal, amounting to nothing more than an attempt
    at extortion. SCO has yet to demonstrate that it in fact owns copyright to
    any of the code in the Linux kernel (in fact, it flatly refuses to show
    which
    code supposedly infringes except to persons signing an NDA), the case
    has not yet been heard in court nor will it be until sometime in 2005, and
    until it has been determined in court that their allegations are true
    SCO has
    no more right of ownership of any code in the Linux kernel than do I, and
    no more right to sell licenses for use of this code than do I. (As a
    matter of
    fact, a German court has taken notice of this very fact and has issued an
    injunction against SCO Germany that prevents them from asking
    Linux users for license fees until the case is settled, and complaints
    against SCO have been filed toward this same end with Australian
    authorities.)

    Even if there is SCO property improperly included in the kernel, the end
    user is no more liable than would be a person who buys a newspaper that
    contains a plagiarized story. The crime would have been committed by the
    party committing the plagiarism.

    Until the courts decide, I remind SCO what the Irish New York cop said
    to Osama
    Bin Laden...

    --
    Steve Martin, CPBE CBNT

    Steve Martin Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    David Harris Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadelverizon.net> wrote in message
    > > And I'm pretty sure the entire open source community will have the same
    > > goal... :)
    >
    > Umm. No. Many of us work *extremely* hard to keep our noses clean, so
    > that if we growse about a vendor or a company they can't discard or
    > discredit us as being "those criminals" or "those crackers". Even the
    > Free Software Foundation doesn't encourage cracking.
    Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer...
    > Writing tools that are so much better they embarass the hell out of the
    > vendor and wipe them out in the open market: that's much, much more fun.
    > And it's exactly what the Linux community as a whole is doing. Have you
    > every *tried* SCO's software of any kind and seen how much it s
    > rotten donkey bits?
    Yeah, I've used it; I was a network admin where our software ran on
    terminals connected to that crap. I don't see how they can possibly think
    they have rights to more superior software like, um, everything in the linux
    community. It's like they think they actually coded something decent or
    something... ;)

    David Harris Guest

  10. #10

    David Harris wrote:
    > Yeah, I've used it; I was a network admin where our software ran on
    > terminals connected to that crap. I don't see how they can possibly think
    > they have rights to more superior software like, um, everything in the linux
    > community. It's like they think they actually coded something decent or
    > something... ;)
    Oh, they're not pretending that they *wrote* it. The bought rights to
    UNIX, formerly AT&T's SysV code that then went to Novell and got various
    parts and rights sold to SCO.

    Basically, since the Caldera/SCO merger^H^H^H hostile mutual takeover,
    their previous management teams have been engaging in office politics to
    kick each other's buddies and cronies out, and this is a result of the
    latest attempt to find something they can actually sell.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  11. #11

    Baho Utot wrote:
    > Santa Cruz Operation Legal Dept. wrote:
    >

    >> SCO Announces Intellectual Property License for Linux
    >> 8/5/2003 12:43:00 PM
    >>

    > [SNIP]
    >
    > Go up a rope!
    I belive this is the correct response