Professional Web Applications Themes

linux/Windows XP boot problem - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all, In short : ---------- How can I prevent Windows XP (or "HP recovery") to replace lilo in the MBR ? This is very probably more a Windows than a linux question. The gory details : ------------------ I have a new PC (HP Pavilion t390.fr) with Windows XP Home edition preinstalled (and no XP CDROM, of course, the beginning of the problems !). As I cannot reinstall the PC from scratch, starting with linux, and then Windows as I usually do, I had to shorten the big NTFS partition, and install linux on the free space obtained, with lilo ...

  1. #1

    Default linux/Windows XP boot problem

    Hi all,

    In short :
    ----------

    ------------------
    I have a new PC (HP Pavilion t390.fr) with Windows XP Home edition
    preinstalled (and no XP CDROM, of course, the beginning of the
    problems !). As I cannot reinstall the PC from scratch, starting with
    linux, and then Windows as I usually do, I had to shorten the big NTFS
    partition, and install linux on the free space obtained, with lilo as
    a boot loader (with lba32 option because the /boot partition is beyond
    the 1024 cylinders limit ...).

    No problem booting on linux.

    When booting on Windows, it very sees that the MBR has been touched
    and asks me either to reinstall the whole system or to "repair the
    system". No option to avoid doing at least one of these 2 choices
    (even if recovery desactivated in the system panel). The screen is in
    entitled "reinstallation systeme pour PC HP" (it's in french) and
    mentions a reference to SoftThinks and version 5.0.33. Both choices
    result in Windows rewriting on the MBR and replacing lilo without
    being asked (In fact, I don't even know is it is Windows or the HP
    recovery tools that seem to be installed alltogether !)

    Of course, I can boot linux from a floppy, but it is quite tedious
    since I'm nearly uniquely a linux user (I just keep Windows to
    maintain the PC warranty, not to use it !)

    Any advice or solution is wellcome.

    Aymeric Duclert
    Aymeric Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: linux/Windows XP boot problem

    On 2 Jan 2004 14:01:26 -0800, Aymeric Duclert wrote:

    Quite using it.

    Yes.

    boot linux with floppy or cd 1 rescue mode and re-install lilo into
    mbr.

    man lilo
    Bit Guest

  3. #3

    Aymeric Duclert wrote:

    You can configure the Windows boot loader to chain to lilo, instead of
    the other way around.

    See
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html

    Allen Guest

  4. #4

    Allen Kistler <moc> wrote in message news:<vWoJb.17132$news.prodigy.com>...

    > You can configure the Windows boot loader to chain to lilo, instead of
    > the other way around.
    >
    > See
    > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html[/ref]
    Thanks for your answers.

    Of course, I could reinstall lilo each time the PC is rebooted under
    Windows (since Windows reinitialize the MBR each time lilo touches it
    !), but it would be quite tedious ...

    I tried the procedure indicated by Allen in
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html :

    1/ Creation of the bootsect.lnx (dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/bootsect.lnx
    bs=512 count=1 in my case)
    2/ Copy of the bootsect.lnx file in C: under Windows
    3/ Modification of the boot.ini file (including attrib flags) to add
    the line :

    C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

    Result :
    --------
    The Windows loader works, it allows to boot under XP, but if I choose
    linux, a black screen appears and nothing happens any more ... as if
    it could to find the file.

    I checked that the bootsect.lnx file is ok (size + procedure included
    in the howto.html, and of course, it is).

    I also tried to put the bootsect.lnx file in D: (a fat32 Windows
    recovery partition which is under the 1024 cylinders limit), modifying
    the boot.ini file accordingly, but the result is exactly the same !
    Aymeric Guest

  5. #5

    Aymeric Duclert wrote:

    What version of Windows?
    I never heard of that happening.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  6. #6

    Aymeric Duclert wrote:

    > Thanks for your answers.
    >
    > Of course, I could reinstall lilo each time the PC is rebooted under
    > Windows (since Windows reinitialize the MBR each time lilo touches it
    > !), but it would be quite tedious ...
    >
    > I tried the procedure indicated by Allen in
    > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html :
    >
    > 1/ Creation of the bootsect.lnx (dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/bootsect.lnx
    > bs=512 count=1 in my case)
    > 2/ Copy of the bootsect.lnx file in C: under Windows
    > 3/ Modification of the boot.ini file (including attrib flags) to add
    > the line :
    >
    > C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"
    >
    > Result :
    > --------
    > The Windows loader works, it allows to boot under XP, but if I choose
    > linux, a black screen appears and nothing happens any more ... as if
    > it could to find the file.
    >
    > I checked that the bootsect.lnx file is ok (size + procedure included
    > in the howto.html, and of course, it is).
    >
    > I also tried to put the bootsect.lnx file in D: (a fat32 Windows
    > recovery partition which is under the 1024 cylinders limit), modifying
    > the boot.ini file accordingly, but the result is exactly the same ![/ref]

    Did you install lilo into the boot sector of hda6 first? If you didn't,
    then you're chaining to nothing, because lilo's not there.

    Also don't forget, in the future, to update bootsect.lnx each time you
    rerun lilo for lilo.conf changes (or switch to grub and never worry
    about it again).

    HTH

    Allen Guest

  7. #7

    Timothy Murphy <maths.tcd.ie> wrote in message news:<CxDJb.3059$indigo.ie>...

    > What version of Windows?
    > I never heard of that happening.[/ref]
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1.

    But I'm pretty sure now it's not an XP issue, rather a "HP recovery"
    problem, since I have already installed lilo on another computer with
    XP without any problem. They must have a tool that oversees the MBR
    and reinstall it without any means to deactivate the process. Of
    course the HP customer support says they do not support linux and
    recommend not installing dual boots ...

    But my issue is now solved by chaining windows boot loader and then
    lilo.

    Aymeric
    Aymeric Guest

  8. #8

    Allen Kistler <moc> wrote in message news:<8aGJb.17332$news.prodigy.com>... [/ref]
    [...]
    > Did you install lilo into the boot sector of hda6 first? If you didn't,
    > then you're chaining to nothing, because lilo's not there.
    >
    > Also don't forget, in the future, to update bootsect.lnx each time you
    > rerun lilo for lilo.conf changes (or switch to grub and never worry
    > about it again).
    >
    > HTH[/ref]

    YES, indeed, that was the problem, you are right ! I did not
    understand everything about lilo. I modified the boot parameter in
    /etc/lilo.conf to get it point to the root partition and not the MBR
    and everything is OK.

    I will also take a look at grub when I have time.

    For other people that might have the same problem, I explain a little
    :

    I changed the boot parameter in the lilo.conf :

    # the linux root partition is /dev/hda6. lilo installs there now !
    boot=/dev/hda6
    # old value was installing lilo in MBR, and lilo was kicked out by
    Windows
    # boot=/dev/hda

    I ran lilo, created the bootsect.lnx file using dd (see previous HOWTO
    in the thread), installed it on Windows and everything works : Windows
    boot loader first allows selection of linux or Windows, and if linux
    is selected, lilo appears allowing to select linux (or others).

    Thanks for you help !

    Aymeric
    Aymeric Guest