Professional Web Applications Themes

List Access database tables - ASP Database

I am using ASP and a MS-Access database. Can read and write to tables fine, but now I have a need to list all the tables in a given database. I am using IIS5 and Visual InterDev 6.0, and ODBC System DSN. So far, every attempt I have made returns this error: ADODB.Connection error '800a0cb3' Object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation. /TESTDB.asp, line 74 Is there something I am doing wrong, or is MS-Access unable to list the tables in ASP? I can post the code I've been trying if that will help....

  1. #1

    Default List Access database tables

    I am using ASP and a MS-Access database. Can read and write to tables fine,
    but now I have a need to list all the tables in a given database.

    I am using IIS5 and Visual InterDev 6.0, and ODBC System DSN.

    So far, every attempt I have made returns this error:

    ADODB.Connection error '800a0cb3'

    Object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation.
    /TESTDB.asp, line 74

    Is there something I am doing wrong, or is MS-Access unable to list the
    tables in ASP?

    I can post the code I've been trying if that will help.

    Kevin Ingram Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: List Access database tables

    Posting the relevant snippet of code would certainly be helpful, as we
    cannot see what operation was requested.

    Ray at work

    "Kevin Ingram" <tcrmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > I am using ASP and a MS-Access database. Can read and write to tables
    fine,
    > but now I have a need to list all the tables in a given database.
    >
    > I am using IIS5 and Visual InterDev 6.0, and ODBC System DSN.
    >
    > So far, every attempt I have made returns this error:
    >
    > ADODB.Connection error '800a0cb3'
    >
    > Object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation.
    > /TESTDB.asp, line 74
    >
    > Is there something I am doing wrong, or is MS-Access unable to list the
    > tables in ASP?
    >
    > I can post the code I've been trying if that will help.

    Ray at Guest

  3. #3

    Here is the code:

    Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConn.ConnectionString = "DSN=MYDATA"
    objConn.Open
    Set objRS = objConn.OpenSchema(adSchemaTables)

    The last line produces this error:

  4. #4

    Did you define your adSchemaTables constant anywhere? (&h14)

  5. #5

    Apparently I am missing something here, how do I define the constant other
    than: dim adSchemaTables?

    Thanks!

  6. #6

    Const adSchemaTables = 20
    or
    Const adSchemaTables = &h14
    or
    Just use 20 in place of the named constant.

  7. #7

    Plenty of other approaches.
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2178[/url]

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] Guest

  8. #8

    Wow, that's perfect, thanks!

    Man, I searched and searched but just could not stumble on this information,
    have it saved as a favorite now.

    Thanks again!

    "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" <aaronTRASHaspfaq.com> wrote in message
    > Plenty of other approaches.
    > [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2178[/url]
    >
    > --
    > Aaron Bertrand