Professional Web Applications Themes

Live Streaming/broadcasting and latency - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

Hi, Can any one of you provide me with details on how much is latency experienced when live video and audio is streamed using FME + FMS + FP. Ex: A 256 kbps streaming. Does FME , FMS and FP uses buffering concept? if so, how can that be tweaked to deliver the live video with reduced latency. Is it possible to achieve a latency of less or equal to 1 second and how. We are using Web Cam, Windows Media Server, Windows Media Encoder and Windows Media Player to achieve the live streaming of events. But we end up ...

  1. #1

    Default Live Streaming/broadcasting and latency

    Hi,

    Can any one of you provide me with details on how much is latency experienced
    when live video and audio is streamed using FME + FMS + FP.
    Ex: A 256 kbps streaming.

    Does FME , FMS and FP uses buffering concept? if so, how can that be tweaked
    to deliver the live video with reduced latency. Is it possible to achieve a
    latency of less or equal to 1 second and how.

    We are using Web Cam, Windows Media Server, Windows Media Encoder and Windows
    Media Player to achieve the live streaming of events. But we end up having a
    latency of 8 to 15 seconds (in LAN).

    This is the major challenge we are facing. We are trying to find out if FME,
    FMS and FP can overcome the issues being faced.

    TIA,

    Mohith

    mohithmysore Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Live Streaming/broadcasting and latency

    The amount of latency introduced by FME + FMS + FP for a live stream is
    completely configurable. The FME itself introduces very little latency into
    the stream, on the order of 10's of milliseconds. FMS3 will buffer the
    incoming stream, but this can be disabled or set to a very low delay value.
    Similarly, your video player app, running in the Flash Player, can be written
    to use a buffer of any size or none at all. You should be able to configure
    the entire system to achieve very low end-to-end latency by reducing or
    eliminating the buffers on the FMS and the player.

    Hope this helps

    KevinStreeter Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Kevin,

    Thanks for the information.
    What will be the latency in second, from the point of capturing till the end
    user viewing in the FMP, over the internet.
    In some article i had seen the information which said that having 2 seconds of
    buffering would be appropriate for the end user to have acceptable limit
    (performance and quality) for viewing.
    Having said 2 seconds of buffering configured, it will sure add 2 seconds of
    latency.
    This for sure is acceptable if there is no user action to be expected (Ex:
    Telecasting of live sports event).
    Whereas for senarios like live auctions(of paintings) on the internet where
    participants can be present at the auction location as well as taking part in
    the auctioning through internet, every second of latency counts.

    your thoughts.

    Regards,
    Mohith

    mohithmysore Guest