Professional Web Applications Themes

Load Balancing Facility - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, One of my customers wants to setup Load balancing using Linux system for their Web server farm. Is there any software tool that manages the load balancing for the Web farm? If I were to use a cluster, what packages would I need to have a load balancing facility setup? If anyone done this before, could you please point me to some resources on how you did it? Thank you in advance for any information and pointers. Subba Rao s u p e r o <AT> a t t g l o b a l <DOT> n e t...

  1. #1

    Default Load Balancing Facility

    Hello,

    One of my customers wants to setup Load balancing using Linux system for
    their Web server farm. Is there any software tool that manages the load
    balancing for the Web farm?

    If I were to use a cluster, what packages would I need to have a load
    balancing facility setup?

    If anyone done this before, could you please point me to some resources on
    how you did it?

    Thank you in advance for any information and pointers.

    Subba Rao
    s u p e r o <AT> a t t g l o b a l <DOT> n e t
    Subba Rao Guest

  2. #2

    Hi,
    Here is answer for your doubt. You can use Linux Virtual server
    for Load balancing. Another name for this is "IP Virtual server". If u
    want to need more info about this or if need Load balancer and how to
    configure .......
    Go to Linuxvirtualserver.org

    This is a wonderful site .....there u can get all u r needs.

    regards,
    sathish.
    sathish kumar Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Load Balancing Facility

  4. #4

    In article <Xns93E48941C1828nonamenowherenet216.168.3.44>,
    Subba Rao <nonamenowhere.net> wrote:

    | One of my customers wants to setup Load balancing using Linux system for
    | their Web server farm. Is there any software tool that manages the load
    | balancing for the Web farm?
    |
    | If I were to use a cluster, what packages would I need to have a load
    | balancing facility setup?
    |
    | If anyone done this before, could you please point me to some resources on
    | how you did it?

    Unfortunately you are just short of having a optimal answer. The best
    thing available is the linuxvirtualserver.org stuff, which really needs
    custom kernels on every machine, etc, or will concentrate traffic in the
    virtual server.

    There is what appears to be far more capable code in the 2.6 kernel
    series, if I'm not reading it wrong it seems to be capable of working
    with unpatched kernels as targets, and possibly that "other operating
    system" as well. I'm just looking at mail from non-developers, I
    haven't gone to the site for info, but it's the same site so you can
    check that out and see if the new features are really more capable. On
    my list for Thanksgiving weekend, not before.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsentmr.com> CTO, TMR Associates
    this we should do freely and generously.

  5. #5

    bill davidsen wrote:
    > In article <Xns93E48941C1828nonamenowherenet216.168.3.44>,
    > Subba Rao <nonamenowhere.net> wrote:
    >
    > | One of my customers wants to setup Load balancing using Linux system for
    > | their Web server farm. Is there any software tool that manages the load
    > | balancing for the Web farm?
    > |
    > | If I were to use a cluster, what packages would I need to have a load
    > | balancing facility setup?
    > |
    > | If anyone done this before, could you please point me to some resources
    > | on how you did it?
    >
    > Unfortunately you are just short of having a optimal answer. The best
    > thing available is the linuxvirtualserver.org stuff, which really needs
    > custom kernels on every machine, etc, or will concentrate traffic in the
    > virtual server.
    >
    > There is what appears to be far more capable code in the 2.6 kernel
    > series, if I'm not reading it wrong it seems to be capable of working
    > with unpatched kernels as targets, and possibly that "other operating
    > system" as well. I'm just looking at mail from non-developers, I
    > haven't gone to the site for info, but it's the same site so you can
    > check that out and see if the new features are really more capable. On
    > my list for Thanksgiving weekend, not before.

    Perhaps you should give OpenMosix a try:

    [url]http://openmosix.sourceforge.net[/url]

    Kind regards, Joerg.

    Joerg Morbitzer Guest