Professional Web Applications Themes

load images from cdrom into ram - Macromedia Director Lingo

I'm making a CD rom that plays a sequence of large images (jpgs 800x600) to animate a sequence. The jpgs are members of an internal cast. It is working fine, but it is awfully slow on systems that have a slow CD player, as it seems to be loading them from the CD as needed. Is it possible to load these images into RAM so that when the animation plays, so it will play quickly? I'm not sure if in fact the images are not loaded into ram, but I suspect that they are not, as playback is sluggish. I ...

  1. #1

    Default load images from cdrom into ram

    I'm making a CD rom that plays a sequence of large images (jpgs 800x600) to
    animate a sequence. The jpgs are members of an internal cast. It is working
    fine, but it is awfully slow on systems that have a slow CD player, as it
    seems to be loading them from the CD as needed. Is it possible to load these
    images into RAM so that when the animation plays, so it will play quickly?
    I'm not sure if in fact the images are not loaded into ram, but I suspect
    that they are not, as playback is sluggish. I have considered (but not yet
    attempted) making them into a quicktime, but I wonder how well a 800x600 QT
    would play off a cd. Preload is supposed to work with external cast members.
    I haven't tried that yet. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has been down
    this road before I attempt to hack my own path through uncharted territory.

    thanks

    Thomas

    Thomas Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: load images from cdrom into ram

    In general, a video file will play much better than a sequence of compressed
    images.
    You can try placing all files in the first frame outside the stage's rect
    (so that they won't be visible) to force a preload - or turn off the
    visibility of the sprite of the swapping members and playback the sequence
    once, and then turn it back on and play normally.
    However, you have to keep in mind that director, in order to play those
    files will have to decompress them - just calculate 800x600x24 bit * number
    of frames and you'll see that preloading is not always a solution. So, if
    your video is just a few frames it's ok, but if we are talking a large
    number of images, you'd better forget it and use qt, avi or mpeg instead.

    "Thomas Williams" <com> wrote in message
    working
    these
    QT
    members.