Professional Web Applications Themes

LoadMovie vs goto Scene - Macromedia Flash Sitedesign

Hi, all. I'm pretty new to Flash, using MX. Please help me understand loading movies as opposed to loading scenes. I understand that they are both on-demand schemes, allowing the viewer to see what they want, which can bypass the need for a preloader. However, if you split a file into many swfs to load in, doesn't the viewer still have to wait for it to load (if it's so large)? With a scene, isn't the same true? I know how to perform both, but do not know the true benefits of either. Please help, understanding that I'm new at ...

  1. #1

    Default LoadMovie vs goto Scene

    Hi, all.
    I'm pretty new to Flash, using MX. Please help me understand loading movies as opposed to loading scenes.

    I understand that they are both on-demand schemes, allowing the viewer to see what they want, which can bypass the need for a preloader. However, if you split a file into many swfs to load in, doesn't the viewer still have to wait for it to load (if it's so large)? With a scene, isn't the same true?

    I know how to perform both, but do not know the true benefits of either.

    Please help, understanding that I'm new at this game.

    Thanks,
    Scott

    downloadthisthing webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: LoadMovie vs goto Scene

    hi scott, i'm from brazil (my english is very bad) but you need understand that:

    is normal that the loading be visible when is finishing, cause it needs be load too, then i always use a small movie animating or no, in the first frame of the scene saying "loading" with this action:

    If Frame Is Loaded (principal, 100) (the scene of the pre-loader)
    Go to and Play (principal, 1)
    End Frame Loaded

    bye

    FernandoZanatta webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi.
    I had a hard time understanding the instructions. i think you're telling me to use a preloader, but I'm not talking about a preloader. I need to know about loadmovie vs loadscenes.

    So far, to my limited knowledge, they seem to accomplish the same thing: breaking up a large movie into smaller ones.

    Please, someone, help me.

    Thanks.

    downloadthisthing webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'm new to the Macromedia forums, they appear slow. Is this an active board?

    Anyhow, please, if anyone knows, please answer my question.

    Thanks.

    downloadthisthing webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Well I am not sure what you mean by "loadscenes" but you will find that most people who use flash a lot do not use scenes but use frame labels. So then you would write your code something like this

    myButton.onRelease = function(){
    gotoAndStop("myFrame")
    }
    LoadMovie is useful for breaking up a site etc into different components parts. This means that the page will not take so long to load. For Example, you may have a media player on your site which is just loaded in as or when is needed.

    Certified but not by Macromedia!
    myurl
    stwingy webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    I think this might be pertinent.

    The load movie function is very useful if you want to break a site up into many different small .swf files. I recently rewrote my homepage using such a method because if I used one move (with different scenes) I would have had a 20 meg .swf file for people to download. Instead I have broken it down into many files and I use a central interface file to call and load them when the user selects the proper menu choice.

    I use a preloader in each .swf file no matter how large. I'm still rewriting my homepage and tweaking the graphics. But here is a link, [url]http://www.umich.edu/~ngillett/[/url]

    The short:
    For small sites (with respect to file size):
    It will be easier to build using scenes, and just navigating between them because you only have to load one file.

    For large Sites (lots of content):
    LoadMovie will probably work best here, build a bunch of smaller .swf files that you can load on demand.

    Referring URLs
    [url]http://www.umich.edu/~ngillett/[/url]

    Skim Milk webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thank you so m uch for the replies. It's clearer now. Nick, you were especially helpful. I'm new, and my movies are fairly small (less than a meg), so I can realistically adjust my expectations and workflow.

    I read about the two techniques, but it wasn't really clear in the book.

    Thanks, again.

  8. #8

    Default How Do I Load a Movie

    I think I am more elementary than all of you. I just started making flash movies. I've got the basics down but I see all of these cool sites with LOADING and progress bars and I haven't gotten there yet. I need very simple instructions on like preloading and the loadmovie function and i just need someone to hold my hand through it once so I can be enlightened. I don't want anything fancy with percentages, just a progress bar and the word loading. My file will be pretty big. About 20-30 Scenes with pictures and music. Can someone please tell me what to do? Do I need to have my "loading" as my first scene or what? Do I creat the progress bar or is it automatic? Assume I know nothing (good inference).Text

    AdamMac012 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  9. #9

    Default Re:How Do I Load a Movie

    Ok, I'm going to post a thread for ya'll sometime in the next day or so, look for something called "Basic Flash: Preloaders, Scenes, and Some Actions" I'll try to whip up an old site I did for you guys to tear apart too.

    More Later, if you want something under construction and kind of crappy to look at, have a nod with this. [url]http://www.umich.edu/~ngillett/[/url]

    Skim Milk webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  10. #10

    AdamMac012,
    I know what it's like being a beginner in need of help. I would suggest curling up with a good book and staying there. If you're near a bookshop that lets you read thru the book before buying, spend time in there getting familiar with different authors and their content. When you find something that you're comfortable with, buy it. Then read it.

    I usually read it from cover to cover, then read relevant sections and practice them over and over and over. Repetition is key to memorizing, and then knowing, something.

    Once I've gotten familiar with the topic, I may need a new book, so I use the same method of familiarizing myself with the books and purchasing. Some might think that this is a wste of time, but consider that this is research, and you're learning while browsing.

    Be careful to get a book with a similar teaching style, otherwise it'll put your previous knowledge up against a new set of knowledge, and you'll have to keep measuring up the new knowledge against the old, wasting your time.

    I first got Flash 5 creative Animation by Derek Franklin, and found it too hard. A a result, I used Flash 5 for a month when it first came out, then never again. I recently purchased Flash MX HOT (lynda.com) and found it very helpful. In it she covers the preloaders that you're looking for in a way that you should be able to understand. She covers all of the basics in beginer style. Now that I've read that, I'm on to more Flashing and more books. Understand that it's not pro level, so adjust your expectations.

    After this, i think I'm on to Flash MX Advanced for Windows aand Macintosh Visual Quickstart Guide. They make a good series and they serve as excellent stepping stones.

    Also, if you're still in MX, like me, you can take advantage of the older versions: these books can be purchased for maybe 1/2 price since they're not the current version.

    Take your time and learn correctly so that you don't fly ahead doing wicked stuff, and then reaize that you don't know anything about doent management. Flash MX HOT covers that a bit too.

    Hope all of these characters help, as it worked tremendously for me.
    Scott

    (If anyone is angry at the amount of words, please don't post angry mail. I'm attempting to help a fellow newbie.)

    downloadthisthing webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  11. #11

    Very good advice, here's a list of reading you guys might be interested in, I've found these books to be extremely helpful.

    Actionscript for Flash MX: The Definitive Guide
    From my experience this book is the most in depth look at action script on the market, it totals about 1200 pages with 600 devoted to an explanation of how to program in flash MX and another 600 devoted to reference, explanation of properties, methods, classes, etc.

    Flash MX Magic Series
    Basically a Flashy animation series that gives you some insight on how to create eye googling effects and incorporate sound, animation, 3d, and a variety of other things into flash.

    My 2 cents worth.
    Flash is a very powerful tool that will take everyone who uses it some time to truely master, I am still a newbie compared with a lot of people, and this is after working with flash for 2 years. If you're truely interested in Flash there are basically 2 paths I've discovered you can follow.

    1. Web Developer: Flash can be used to create an entire website from front end to application. The problem is that you have to have a working knowledge of both action script and another web language like JavaScript, ASP, PHP, or XML (Popular). XML is the route that most developers go because it's fast and resembles actionscript somewhat.

    2. Multimedia Designer: The graphics and animation potential for flash is unbelievable and you can do a lot of things without any knowleldge of actionscript whatsoever, but actionscript will make your life slightly easier, especially with tweens and motion. Over the last year or so I've started working with easing equations, some stuff developed by a guy named Robert Penner, search on google with his name and check out his website. His book is pretty good too.

    My recommendations to the "newbie."
    I'm with download. Go over to the bookstore, get a good book on flash that you like (might take you several hours to find one), read through the first 100 pages or so, and if you still like it, buy it. Then do everything in the book to the point of mastery, don't expect it to come on the first try, but master it. That will make the next book 1000 times easier to get down. As for memorization, I've never memorized any book, when I work in flash Colin Moock's book never leaves the desktop.

    Some food for thought:
    Build it once, laugh at how ed up again, and build it again right.

    Best of luck, Preloaders to follow.

    Nick

    Skim Milk webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  12. #12

    I've recently discovered the need for the preloaders. Look at this site:

    Originally it was one single file using gotoscene. It was over 2 megs
    and took 30 to 45secs to load. When it did, if I clicked on the shirts
    link, it would go to jackets, because it had NOT fully loaded the shirts
    section.

    Now the main page loads immediately, because the 4 options are separate
    swf files; only the initial swf file has to load. If u want see shirts,
    then it loads shirts. You don't need to wait 30 secs for the other
    scenes to load.

    "downloadthisthing" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Hi, all.
    > I'm pretty new to Flash, using MX. Please help me understand loading movies as opposed to loading scenes.
    >
    > I understand that they are both on-demand schemes, allowing the viewer to see what they want, which can bypass the need for a preloader. However, if you split a file into many swfs to load in, doesn't the viewer still have to wait for it to load (if it's so large)? With a scene, isn't the same true?
    >
    > I know how to perform both, but do not know the true benefits of either.
    >
    > Please help, understanding that I'm new at this game.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott

    Grobert Nelg Guest

  13. #13

    ooops

    [url]http://www.members.shaw.ca/themiff/Onix/[/url]

    Grobert Nelg wrote:
    > I've recently discovered the need for the preloaders. Look at this
    > site:
    >
    > Originally it was one single file using gotoscene. It was over 2
    > megs and took 30 to 45secs to load. When it did, if I clicked on the
    > shirts link, it would go to jackets, because it had NOT fully loaded the
    > shirts section.
    >
    > Now the main page loads immediately, because the 4 options are
    > separate swf files; only the initial swf file has to load. If u want see
    > shirts, then it loads shirts. You don't need to wait 30 secs for the
    > other scenes to load.

    > "downloadthisthing" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, all.
    >> I'm pretty new to Flash, using MX. Please help me understand loading
    >> movies as opposed to loading scenes.
    >> I understand that they are both on-demand schemes, allowing the viewer
    >> to see what they want, which can bypass the need for a preloader.
    >> However, if you split a file into many swfs to load in, doesn't the
    >> viewer still have to wait for it to load (if it's so large)? With a
    >> scene, isn't the same true?
    >>
    >> I know how to perform both, but do not know the true benefits of either.
    >>
    >> Please help, understanding that I'm new at this game.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Scott

    Grobert Nelg Guest