Professional Web Applications Themes

Localizing a program - Mac Programming

I'm localizing a Cocoa program and part of that is building a Localizable.strings file with an English version. This contains strings that are part of the program in the code like button labels that change and format strings for stringWithFormat methods. I am using PB 2.1 December 2002 and everything was working. Suddenly one of these string key/value pairs stops working. That is it will not be found. I use the key and it's not found in the bundle. The others are but this particular one is not. I have attempted a number of things, cleaning the project and re-building ...

  1. #1

    Default Localizing a program

    I'm localizing a Cocoa program and part of that is building a
    Localizable.strings file with an English version. This contains
    strings that are part of the program in the code like button labels
    that change and format strings for stringWithFormat methods. I am
    using PB 2.1 December 2002 and everything was working. Suddenly one
    of these string key/value pairs stops working. That is it will not be
    found. I use the key and it's not found in the bundle. The others
    are but this particular one is not.

    I have attempted a number of things, cleaning the project and
    re-building no change. Changing the key still nothing, re-arranging
    the Localizable.strings file and still nothing. I have replaced the
    macro NSLocalizedString() with the actual method calls and again no
    change, the value just is not found. As I said the other string
    key/value pairs still work but this one does not.

    Any suggestions of other things to try ?

    --jim
    `
    Jim Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Localizing a program

    In article <google.com>,
    net (Jim Schimpf) wrote:

    This is often caused by a missing semicolon at the end of the line in
    the .strings file, by missing quotation marks on the right or left side
    of the '=' sign, or by having the wrong text for the key. Double-check
    all of those and you'll hopefully find the problem.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  3. #3

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Eric Albert wrote:

    > This is often caused by a missing semicolon at the end of the line in
    > the .strings file, by missing quotation marks on the right or left side
    > of the '=' sign, or by having the wrong text for the key. Double-check
    > all of those and you'll hopefully find the problem.
    >[/ref]
    And also things like carriage returns etc. in the middle of a string. You
    may also need to check your whole file for these, as often whatever loads
    the .strings file will give up at the first mistake it finds.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  4. #4

    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote in message news:<srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk>...

    > > This is often caused by a missing semicolon at the end of the line in
    > > the .strings file, by missing quotation marks on the right or left side
    > > of the '=' sign, or by having the wrong text for the key. Double-check
    > > all of those and you'll hopefully find the problem.
    > >[/ref]
    > And also things like carriage returns etc. in the middle of a string. You
    > may also need to check your whole file for these, as often whatever loads
    > the .strings file will give up at the first mistake it finds.
    >
    > Fred[/ref]

    Such a goof I am... I found that I had misspelled the name of
    Localizable.strings the original file. I don't know how it seemed to
    work originally but it did. Anyway correcting the spelling fixed the
    problem. Also for those new to it, the file Localizable.strings can
    have either // single line comments or /* multiline */ comments.

    --jim
    Jim Guest