Professional Web Applications Themes

Location of fink-downloaded apps - Mac Applications & Software

I installed Fink and Fink Commander, and have used it to install couple of apps, including Abiword. I can find files that Fink placed on my computer, many obviously related to the apps downloaded through Fink Commander, but I cannot figure out how to run any of the apps! I am sure this is a very basic question, but it has me stumped. I have tried navigating through all the various directories in Terminal, but have not been able to find an executable file. I have found files that have the name of some of the apps with no extension, ...

  1. #1

    Default Location of fink-downloaded apps

    I installed Fink and Fink Commander, and have used it to install
    couple of apps, including Abiword. I can find files that Fink placed
    on my computer, many obviously related to the apps downloaded through
    Fink Commander, but I cannot figure out how to run any of the apps!

    I am sure this is a very basic question, but it has me stumped. I
    have tried navigating through all the various directories in Terminal,
    but have not been able to find an executable file. I have found files
    that have the name of some of the apps with no extension, but they
    have not responded. Another problem may be that my knowledge of Unix
    commands is pretty limited. I have been attempting to run an app in
    the Terminal with the "open" Unix command, as "open AbiWord."

    Can someone help me?

    Thanks,
    Brian
    Brian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Location of fink-downloaded apps

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Brian Lovely) wrote:

    Fink normally puts applications in /sw/bin/. Using "open" is not going
    to help. You run them by just typing their full name at the command
    line, e.g. if you want to run gv, you'd type /sw/bin/gv.

    You can shorten this by using the Fink init script, either init.csh or
    init.sh, as described in the Fink doentation. Then you'd just type
    the name of the program.

    If, like gv and AbiWord, the application uses X11 windowing, you'll have
    to start up X11 first, and make sure that the DISPLAY environment
    variable is set before running the program.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    > [/ref]

    Tom:

    Thanks for your reply. I cruised around and found a folder in a
    subdirectory of sw/fink that contained a number of files whose names
    contained x11. I was not able to start up X11. Can you explain how
    do do this? I already tried entering the full path to the file,
    including the name of the file, as in your example /sw/bin/gv. Thanks
    again for your reply.

    --Brian
    Brian Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Brian Lovely) wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Tom:
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. I cruised around and found a folder in a
    > subdirectory of sw/fink that contained a number of files whose names
    > contained x11. I was not able to start up X11. Can you explain how
    > do do this? I already tried entering the full path to the file,
    > including the name of the file, as in your example /sw/bin/gv. Thanks
    > again for your reply.[/ref]

    I think you may need to learn a bit more about Unix before you're going
    to have much luck, but I'll see what I can do to help.

    First of all, you don't want /sw/fink/, you want /sw/bin/, like I said.
    That's where the programs are. In /sw/fink/ all you'll find is
    information Fink uses for package management, stuff you should leave
    alone unless you really understand how Fink works and want to tweak it.

    Things you find in /sw/bin are executable programs and can be run by
    just typing the full path name at the command line. But some may only
    work if X11 is installed; you'll know this is the case if they give you
    an error like "unable to open display".

    Next, did you install X11? It's kind of hard to miss. The most common
    solution these days is to download Apple's version of X11, which you
    start up by double-clicking the X11 icon just like any other application.
    You can also get X11 from Fink. I haven't used a Fink install of X11 in
    long enough that I forget how I used to start it up. If you get Apple's
    X11, then install Fink package system-xfree86 so that Fink will know
    it's there. If you haven't then you'll need Fink's other xfree86
    packages before you can run X11.

    Finally, gv was only an example, and you won't be able to start it up
    unless you've actually installed it. If you have, it'd be at
    /sw/bin/gv, and if you haven't, then it won't be there.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  5. #5

    com (Brian Lovely) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    [snip]

    Download the preview version pdf of the book "Fun with Fink", which is
    at

    <http://www.funwithfink.com/announce.html>

    It's a nice introduction to fink. It'll take you through installing
    fink, installing apps using fink, and running them.

    --
    -Bo Parker
    The email address in the header is fake.