Professional Web Applications Themes

lock down xp - Windows Setup, Administration & Security

Hi all! We're finally getting rid of 80+ Win 98SE computers (VERY OLD PC's). We are deploying XP pro. We connect to our own domain server as well as several other servers (Exchange, etc...). Can anyone direct me to a doent that can give me a bit of instruction on how to deploy these so that they are properly locked down? I want to avoid a nightmare like I've had with 98. Way too many users are installing software, downloading stuff off the Internet, etc.. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! :-) Jay...

  1. #1

    Default lock down xp

    Hi all! We're finally getting rid of 80+ Win 98SE
    computers (VERY OLD PC's). We are deploying XP pro. We
    connect to our own domain server as well as several other
    servers (Exchange, etc...). Can anyone direct me to a
    doent that can give me a bit of instruction on how to
    deploy these so that they are properly locked down? I
    want to avoid a nightmare like I've had with 98. Way too
    many users are installing software, downloading stuff off
    the Internet, etc.. Any help would be GREATLY
    appreciated!

    Thanks! :-)
    Jay

    Jay Simmons Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: lock down xp

    setup each pc 1st with the apps that they must use
    add the users, printers, and network shares

    If you can, create the users as RESTRICTED users so that they have min.
    effect on the PC's. Be careful that some apps need special permissions in
    order to be useable (I.E. Some apps need to modify the registry in order to
    be used)

    If that is the case, you have a few options. There are tools out there that
    will allow you use use the app on a restricted user account, just not sure
    of the names..., You could use the RUNAS command but I think that will store
    the password in a text file of the account that has admin right, which you
    do not want

    Maybe someone from MS has a clearer picture?

    Karl Guest

  3. #3

    Jay Simmons wrote:
    > Hi all! We're finally getting rid of 80+ Win 98SE
    > computers (VERY OLD PC's). We are deploying XP pro. We
    > connect to our own domain server as well as several other
    > servers (Exchange, etc...). Can anyone direct me to a
    > doent that can give me a bit of instruction on how to
    > deploy these so that they are properly locked down? I
    > want to avoid a nightmare like I've had with 98. Way too
    > many users are installing software, downloading stuff off
    > the Internet, etc.. Any help would be GREATLY
    > appreciated!
    Assuming you have windows 2000 or windows 2003 server you can lock down the
    workstations and set things how you want centrally with group policies...

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b671967b-ef65-4ccf-9d00-89d6ae428edc&displaylang=en[/url]

    Rob
    MS MVP
    [url]http://www.robertmoir.co.uk[/url]

    Robert Moir Guest

  4. #4

    Jay,

    Basically what you may want to do is to take a machine,
    install XP and updates for XP and hardware, take an
    image at this point, then install the software that is to
    be available. Next, test all software as a plain user.
    Some apps will need for use to use the application
    compatibility toolset if they are quite old. Other apps
    will need you to loosen permissions, usually on their
    installation directory, but sometimes on an ini file in
    the system dir, sometimes on a temp det who knows
    where. Also, it is not uncommon for non Windows
    certified apps to want to write to the registry where
    they have no business, so you then need to loosen
    permissions on the reg key and its subkeys/values
    (usually this is in hklm\software\vendorname) so that
    Users group has heightened permissions.

    OK, in theiry at that point you have determeined that
    people can do what they need with only what you want
    them to have. So, you need to decide how to deploy
    this. Look into using RIS for the number of machines
    that you indicate, and look into using Group policy to
    distribute the software. You need to start becoming
    familiar with group policy anyway, as that is where it
    all is at in domain management. You should consider
    getting SUS (software update service) installed so that
    you can point all the machines at it in order to keep them
    up-to-date with what gets released at Windows Update.

    Welcome to the world of centralized management.
    It is good that you asked, as just jumping in an trying
    is definitely not the way to go about things. Time spent
    planning and starting out right will repay itself many,
    many times over.

    (ps. check out the Management area in the IT Pro doc
    at mcirosoft.com/windows2000 and now also in the
    windowsserver2003 area)
    Good luck,
    Roger
    "Jay Simmons" <jaymemphisgastro.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all! We're finally getting rid of 80+ Win 98SE
    > computers (VERY OLD PC's). We are deploying XP pro. We
    > connect to our own domain server as well as several other
    > servers (Exchange, etc...). Can anyone direct me to a
    > doent that can give me a bit of instruction on how to
    > deploy these so that they are properly locked down? I
    > want to avoid a nightmare like I've had with 98. Way too
    > many users are installing software, downloading stuff off
    > the Internet, etc.. Any help would be GREATLY
    > appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks! :-)
    > Jay

    Roger Abell [MVP] Guest

  5. #5

    WOW! Thanks for all the GREAT replies! I really
    appreciate the help!!! I'll get to work on it all right
    now...

    Thanks again!
    Jay

    Jay Simmons Guest