Professional Web Applications Themes

Locking down html files - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I have created a website for use on my companies intranet, and would like to be able to prevent access to the html files in order to stop people stealing/altering my work. Is there a function within Dreamweaver that allows me to 'lock' the code to prevent it being used by others. Currently, the code resides on a shared drive, which almost all users have access to. Whilst I can limit access to the folder/files this prevents people viewing the web pages. Thanks Widge...

  1. #1

    Default Locking down html files

    I have created a website for use on my companies intranet, and would like to
    be able to prevent access to the html files in order to stop people
    stealing/altering my work. Is there a function within Dreamweaver that
    allows me to 'lock' the code to prevent it being used by others.

    Currently, the code resides on a shared drive, which almost all users have
    access to. Whilst I can limit access to the folder/files this prevents
    people viewing the web pages.

    Thanks

    Widge

    widge Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Locking down html files

    widge:

    No. There is a comprehensive discussion of your options under the Images
    section of the DW FAQ link in my sig.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "widge" <mx.wxixdxgxexrbxtxixntexrnet.com> wrote in message
    > I have created a website for use on my companies intranet, and would like
    > be able to prevent access to the html files in order to stop people
    > stealing/altering my work. Is there a function within Dreamweaver that
    > allows me to 'lock' the code to prevent it being used by others.
    >
    > Currently, the code resides on a shared drive, which almost all users have
    > access to. Whilst I can limit access to the folder/files this prevents
    > people viewing the web pages.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Widge

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:25:37 GMT, "speedme" <speed1971mindspring.com>
    wrote:
    >You can't really "lock" your file, but you can create a template with
    >editable regions, AND, if your server supports them, use server side
    >includes, SSI, that way no one can change your code.
    >
    >You will probably need to get your exec management to say no one can change
    >things without ur permission.
    >

    >"widge" <mx.wxixdxgxexrbxtxixntexrnet.com> wrote in message
    >> I have created a website for use on my companies intranet, and would like
    >> be able to prevent access to the html files in order to stop people
    >> stealing/altering my work. Is there a function within Dreamweaver that
    >> allows me to 'lock' the code to prevent it being used by others.
    >>
    >> Currently, the code resides on a shared drive, which almost all users have
    >> access to. Whilst I can limit access to the folder/files this prevents
    >> people viewing the web pages.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Widge
    What do you mean by locking code? SSI won't hide your code. Another
    user will be able to see what file is referenced by the SSi, then load
    that file.

    As we have discussed many times on this ng, you can't hide your code.
    Trust me on this. There are a lot of unscrupous people out there
    selling products rumoured to encrypt or hide the code in some way. All
    such methods can be broken by completely legitimate, legal means.

    If you don't want your html code visible, don't put it on the web.

    Paul Taylor
    Paul Taylor Guest