Professional Web Applications Themes

Locking guides - very annoying! - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Is there any way to stop the guides automatically locking after a certain time? When I open my Illustrator CS2, the guides are automatically locked. I then have to unlock them, but then after a little while they relock themselves!...

  1. #1

    Default Locking guides - very annoying!

    rebecca_s_thomas@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Locking guides - very annoying!

    Rebecca,

    I think what you are encountering is that if you Hide Guides, the Hide Guides command Locks them as well as hiding them. (You can observe this by looking at the View menu immediately after hiding the guides.)

    This has been true of Illustrator ever since guides were first introduced, which I think was in Illustrator 3. It is by no means new to CS or CS2. But I don't see a good reason for it to act that way. So it might be a good feature request to ask that the Hide Guides command not lock them.
    Teri Guest

  3. #3

    But I don't see a good reason for it to act that way.

    Unlocked hidden guides could be moved accidentally -- e.g., via a marquee-select.

    AI, it seems, simply does not permit guides to be concurrently hidden and unlocked. If you unlock guides while they are hidden, they become visible (i.e., no longer be hidden). There is some logic to this.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Unlocked hidden guides could be moved accidentally -- e.g., via a marquee-select.

    No, objects are unselectable if they are either locked or hidden. So hidden unlocked guides would not be selected any more than hidden unlocked text or hidden unlocked paths are.

    I do think there is a good reason to unhide guides if you are unlocking them, since what is the point of unlocking guides that you can't see? It saves the user an additional step which they would almost certainly do anyway.

    I suspect that when the Guide commands were introduced (I think it was in AI 3), the Unlock command was made to Unhide for the reason above. But then someone probably overgeneralized and thought the converse would be a good idea too, even though it makes sense to allow guides to be unlocked while they are hidden, so that they will stay unlocked when you show them again.
    Teri Guest

  5. #5

    Teri,

    I see the error of my ways, thank you. However...

    I stand by my statement that "AI, it seems, simply does not permit guides to be concurrently hidden and unlocked."

    Hence, when you and I both make reference to "hidden unlocked guides," we're being oxymoronic.

    In AI 8 and 10, if I pull out a guide and unlock it, the guide will be locked the moment I hide it. If I then unlock guides, they're no longer hidden. Therefore, there is no way to test your hypothesis that "hidden unlocked guides would not be selected" nor mine that "unlocked hidden guides could be moved accidentally."

    ...it makes sense to allow guides to be unlocked while they are hidden,
    so that they will stay unlocked when you show them again.

    Yes, I see that now.

    I think I'm going insane.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Teri and Harron.

    My guides aren't hidden. When I open Illustrator, and create a guide, it automatically locks itsef. I then go to 'view - guides - and click 'lock guides', so that 'lock guides' is unticked. As I carry on creating guides, they stay unlocked for a few minutes, then all of a sudden, they lock themselves again.
    Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I would like to be able to choose when I want the guides to be locked again.
    rebecca_s_thomas@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Rebecca,

    As I carry on creating guides, they stay unlocked for a few minutes, then
    all of a sudden, they lock themselves again.

    Are you telling us you never hide the guides (Ctrl+;), even for just a moment, to get a clear look at the artwork? If so, I don't know what might be causing the guides to lock.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Now I see what you mean. When I hide the guides, they automatically lock, then when I show them again they are still locked! Now that I understand how it works it won't be such a problem! I hadn't noticed that this was what was causing them to lock, and just thought they were locking themselves. Doh! Thanks.
    rebecca_s_thomas@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Rebecca,

    When you want to unhide (show) the guides, use unlock (Ctrl+Alt+;) instead. That will both unhide and unlock them.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Great - thanks!
    rebecca_s_thomas@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Good guys make good guides,
    How to hide and how to lock,
    Unhide and unlock,
    How to realize it all,
    How to understand your guides.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Jacob, you need serious help.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Well, I didn't like to say!
    rebecca_s_thomas@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Jacob does take more than his fair share of needling here...

    But he takes it like a man.

    #8~)
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15